Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vox AC4tv yay or nay?

Hello everyone,

I've had a Peavey Special 112 since the early 90's and I like it quite a lot. The only problem is that when I rehearse with my band we use the studio's gear and playing through 160 watts at home can be a hassle. I struggle to keep the volume somewhere between 0 and 1 and I only get it cranked at 4-5. So I bought a little Marshall MG15 because I thought it could solve my problem at home. Wrong. My Les Paul sounds like it's on an AM Radio station, a real nightmare. I only use it because it has the headphone jack which allows me to play on a Sunday morning without waking up my family.

My question, at last: will the Vox ac4tv give me quality at a lower volume? Will the amp break up without being too loud? I want my guitar to sound big even when I play it low; am I asking for too much? I'd appreciate it if anyone has the Vox to give me some real info on what it's going to sound like. The YouTube videos make anything sound great...

Re: Vox AC4tv yay or nay?

I gotta say that getting power tube breakup on my 15 W amp set to half a watt is still loud enough to wake my whole family
    But I can use it at night with the master volume lower and it sounds very good so,
    I think if you like the basic sound of the vox it should be ok as long as you don't expect power tube breakup

It's been a long time since I plugged into an ac4 but I seen to recall playing the 12" and the one with the smaller speaker and that the one with the 12" speaker sounded a lot bigger! It's louder but the tone is much more full in the bass and has clearer treble.

Comment

The best sounding, small format, tube amp I've played that breaks up at low volume is a Fender Champion 600. If you need quality sound but quieter than that, I would look at emulation/modeling into a small high quality personal monitor.

Comment

No headroom and not a particularly clean sounding practice amp. You could get an AC 10 or an AC 15 for a little more and they have much later breakup and much nicer speakers. If you want to keep it small, an old Fender Champ or Princeton would also work. You can get Blues Jrs pretty cheap used.

Comment

So Fender Champion 600 is the champ? I'll check it out. thanks for the tip

Comment

I've got the ac4c1, and i adore it. extremely loud for 4 watts. i haven't played the ac4tv, but i prefer the c1 because of the master volume, the bass and treble tone stacks, and the extra tube in the pre-amp (possibly to drive gain, possibly for the tone stacks). the pre-amp has its own volume ('gain' knob) so you can get break-up much quicker. tone is excellent.

I hear/read that attenuators can strain resistors and the like, in addition to sucking tone, although at such low wattage i'm not sure it makes much of a difference. if there's a big enough price difference the tv would look more attractive to me.

whatever you end up with, i'm sure you'll have heaps of fun with it!

Comment

By the way, could anyone compare the Vox's performance to the Marshall cf15's? I'm afraid of not making much of an upgrade by purchasing the Vox.

Comment

You got a headphone jack on the Peavey
                use that to direct in to your recording equipment

And a little EQ

Done
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by BRHGM View Post
                  No headroom and not a particularly clean sounding practice amp. You could get an AC 10 or an AC 15 for a little more and they have much later breakup and much nicer speakers. If you want to keep it small, an old Fender Champ or Princeton would also work. You can get Blues Jrs pretty cheap used.
                  I have the change to grab an AC 15, but I'm concerned about going back to the same problem I have with my 160w Peavey amp... Would the AC 15 be MUCH lower than the Peavey? Can I get it to break up in a room?

Comment

not unless you want your ears bleeding or live in a massive room. 15w is loud when cranked up. i did plenty of gigs with a cranked 15w unmiked and no one had trouble hearing me. a fender champ isnt much different volume wise than the ac4 but they sound different. both are single ended amps. the vox has a 10" which will probably sound better. the ac4tv is a good little amp if you like what it does. it does not have a ton of clean headroom but you can also crank it and not kill your ears. every ones definition of volume is a little different but i think its a fine amp for home use especially with the wattage control. the ac4c1 is a fine little amp too and has a gain control and master volume plus treble and bass controls (vs just tone) and more gain available, i dont like it as much as the tv but thats personal taste. i dont think one is better than the other.

Comment

I'd give this a hard nay unless you're willing to mod it

That said, the mods are VERY easy. This amp is in desperate need of having its bright caps removed. It makes it SO MUCH more playable. I was ready to sell mine, but I ended up loving it after after the mod
                      __PRESENT
                      Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
                      Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
                      Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
                      Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
                      Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
                      Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
                      Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
                      Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
                      Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
                      PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

how many bright caps are in the damn thing? geez one is usually too many

Comment

I never liked this amp when I had one. Check out the Marshall Origin 5 as an alternative. It’s not what people expect when they think of Marshall. I got mine in a trade and it had the tubes changed out. It sounds fantastic to my ears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I bought one. Returned it a few days later.
                            ---------------------------
                            The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

A Vox Night Train (the old version) is another possibility: how does it compare to the ac4tv or the ac10?

Comment

Working...
                              X