No announcement yet.

Vox AC4tv yay or nay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought one. Kept it for about ten years, so far.

Originally posted by Flores_68 View Post
    A Vox Night Train (the old version) is another possibility: how does it compare to the ac4tv or the ac10?
    ---------------------------
    The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

I had the night train for about 6 months
      Kinda raw and aggressively bright in normal mode, super raw and aggressively nasally mids in thick mode. The overdrive is fizzy even whenywhen really crank the sucker. It is really chimey at times but just not refined sounding to me. Honking fizzy nasal no bass neutered sad vox. Some people make em sound ok but,

I would take an ac15 all day every day before the NT. It's warmer and bluesier but can get chimey and jangly when you need it.
      If you need thick sounds from a vox why you either crank the sucker or add a pedal but... The night train was just not for me.

My orange rocker 15 does 60s and 70s rock at bedroom volumes in .5W mode
      Definitely look at stuff that goes down to less than one watt I would say.

Comment

I had a Vox AC15 for a few years. It is loud for room playing, so I don't recommend it. The AC10 is more manageable. Luckily, I found myself a vintage pristine '59 Fender Champ and it's incredible. Also, the Champion 600 is different from a Tweed Champ.
        Last edited by HoneyBearWombat; 08-06-2020, 08:47 AM.

Comment

The AC15 is a terrible choice for bedroom use. The Night Train isn't much better, even in 7.5W mode.

If you want a Vox that sounds good VERY QUIETLY, get the Adio GT. If you don't care if it's a Vox, check out the newer Yamaha THR series. There are others, but those would be my first two recs. I've got something being delivered tomorrow that might also fit the bill, but we'll see.
          The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

Comment

I was super strongly considering an Adio air gt but decided on a orange tube amp with power soak for bedroom cuz I do get to crank things now and then
            The vox modeler gets great reviews for it's sound but it looks like a nightmare aesthetically!!

Comment

I'm quite fond of the Rocker 15 Terror, though it's a little dark for my tastes. That's neither here nor there, I suppose.

The Adio is capable of getting loud enough to annoy a spouse, but probably not a neighbor (unless you're in an apartment). It has several limitations,* but volume for home practice - even raucus practice - really isn't one.

*-I'm happy to expand on these, if anyone cares.

Comment

I've had an AC4tv for about 8 years, it was my first tube amp and I still have it. It has 1 sound, a mid rangey classic rock sound that I think it does well. That's it though. At low volume it has a decent clean sound, but distorts pretty quickly. I really like it for playing gritty slide stuff, it cuts through well when cranked.

Comment

Working...
                X