6l6's in a 6v6 amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6l6's in a 6v6 amp?

i read about this from somebody at the fender forum. They said that as long as the bias was set properly this was ok. Is this safe, and how much more wattage/headroom would it give?
    2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Re: 6l6's in a 6v6 amp?

I find the 6L6s warmer than the 6Vs...I run 6Ls in my Blue Angels......as for wattage, I would imagine it would be a little lower, but don't quote me on that!

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
    Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
    FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

i thought 6v6's were lower power than 6L6's.
      2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

The problem with putting 6L6's in a 6V6 amp is not the bias; that can be adjusted. The problem is the current draw of the tube filaments. A 6L6 requires more power to heat up, if you put 'em in a vintage amp that is designed for 6V6s, you may overload the filament power supply, which is usually a seperate winding on the main power transformer. Then you gotta replace the power transormer, which is not cheap. I have heard of 6L6s being used successfully in old Fenders, Neil Young has 'em in his old Deluxe, maybe Fenders were over-enginered. Wouldn't surprise me.

A Blue Angel is designed to accept 6L6s, another reason to love Boogies!
        Dirt

Oh, so that's what an invisible barrier looks like.

Comment

I don't have a technical explanation to give, but the two best techs in my town have told me that 6l6s can be put in a 6v6 amp but under no circumsatnces should 6v6s be put in a 6l6 amp.
          Originally posted by Jolly
          ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

6v6 cant handle the same voltage as a 6l6

Comment

i like the 6v6s in my blue angel- certainly warm sounding!
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Big Boy Bob
                The problem with putting 6L6's in a 6V6 amp is not the bias; that can be adjusted. The problem is the current draw of the tube filaments. A 6L6 requires more power to heat up, if you put 'em in a vintage amp that is designed for 6V6s, you may overload the filament power supply, which is usually a seperate winding on the main power transformer. Then you gotta replace the power transormer, which is not cheap. I have heard of 6L6s being used successfully in old Fenders, Neil Young has 'em in his old Deluxe, maybe Fenders were over-enginered. Wouldn't surprise me.

A Blue Angel is designed to accept 6L6s, another reason to love Boogies!
                Are the reissues over engineered?

Comment

I also heard that unplugging the normal channel preamp tube would boost headroom also. Is this true, and would the absence of a tube help the power transformer supply enough power to the 6L6 heater filaments?

Would putting a SS Rectifier instead also relieve the load on the heater filament segment of the power transformer?

Comment

Originally posted by Hot _Grits
                    ... under no circumsatnces should 6v6s be put in a 6l6 amp.
                    Unless its a mark IV and you have 'tweed power' and then you can use 6v6's

Comment

Maybe I'm completely off base here- and I'm no amp mechanic by any means, but isn't the general output of a 2 6L6 amplifier somewhere in the neighborhood of 45-50 watts?

And isn't the general output of a 2 6V6 amp somewhere around 19-22 watts?

Not that you get your power from the tubes...

Unless your amp is designed to swap completely different power tubes (like those THD amps) I wouldn't think it's the brightest idea.
                      *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
                      Originally posted by Slash2987
                      Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
                      Originally posted by PVFan
                      I'm a good sex man.
                      Originally posted by Grumpy
                      I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Originally posted by The Golden Boy
                        Maybe I'm completely off base here- and I'm no amp mechanic by any means, but isn't the general output of a 2 6L6 amplifier somewhere in the neighborhood of 45-50 watts?

And isn't the general output of a 2 6V6 amp somewhere around 19-22 watts?

Not that you get your power from the tubes...

Unless your amp is designed to swap completely different power tubes (like those THD amps) I wouldn't think it's the brightest idea.
                        That is the safest route.

Next safest would be to leave the mods to the professionals, i.e. if you have a tech that says a mod will work & you trust 'em, go ahead.

Myself, I thinks there are so many different amp options out I would have to exhaust before I would risk damaging a cool old amp by performing an uninformed mod to it.

Regarding whether RI Fenders are over-engineered, I don't know. My understanding is that the components are similar to the originals, and therefore probably carry the same ratings, so a mod that works on an old amp should work on a new one.

Also, a silicon rectifier will affect the plate voltage supply to the tubes, but the 6.3 volt filament winding does not go through the rectifier, so changing to a silicon rectifier doe not affect the filament current.
                        Dirt

Oh, so that's what an invisible barrier looks like.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Boy Bob
                          Myself, I thinks there are so many different amp options out I would have to exhaust before I would risk damaging a cool old amp by performing an uninformed mod to it.
                          Uninformed mod. Very good choice of words.

A friend was interested in doing a mod on his amp. He did the mod, broke the amp, and it may not be able to be repaired. The amp was the Mike Soldano designed Yamaha amp. A very dishonorable end to a really cool amp.
                          *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
                          Originally posted by Slash2987
                          Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
                          Originally posted by PVFan
                          I'm a good sex man.
                          Originally posted by Grumpy
                          I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Originally posted by Quencho092
                            i read about this from somebody at the fender forum. They said that as long as the bias was set properly this was ok. Is this safe, and how much more wattage/headroom would it give?

It wouldn't give any more wattage. The amp will only operate at the wattage it is designed to operate at. This is why you can't use 6v6's in a 6l6 amp. The 6v6 tube can't handle it and 6l6 will handle more power. This difference will be in tone. 6l6's have an extended tonal range.

My question for you is, what don't you like about the 6v6? I really prefer them over 6l6. They are a little sweeter sounding overdriven as far as I'm concerned.
                            Gibson LP Melody Maker -- stock, Epiphone Dot -- Jazz neck and '59 bridge, Fender Telecaster Blackout Deluxe -- stock, 90's MIM Standard Strat with Duncan Texas Hot Custom in the bridge.

Comment

i just wish there was a REGULAR BF reissue 40 watt amp. That vibrolux custom thing gets hiss and early breakup, w/ weakened reverb on both channels and no negative feedback loop, why can't they still sell the REISSUE?

Now fender only sells a 22 watt deluxe, all the way up to a 40 watt super reverb back breaker! There's no in between thanks to the modifications they did to the vibrolux custom.

Comment

Working...
                              X