Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pictures Of My RAT/RODENT Pedal

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
    Rats do a funky thing some times...it's almost like the sound it comming apart is the only wah I can describe it...it does it in high gain settings, it does it sometimes with hot pickups and if you really hammer downstrokes it will do it also...they all do it, but to be honest I never use that mich gain from my Rats and my pickups aren't that hot either...

Is that what you are talking about?
    At higher gain settings it does this cool "whirring" thing that I Like for singing soloing....This pedal has something very unique in it's mids that no other pedal I've played through has or does...It's pretty intoxicating...Mine crunches great just by backing my volume control a bit and yet sings like a Soldano when I max the volume and this was on my Tele with Fender CS Nocaster and Vintage 52 reissue single coils..I'm only running the Distortion setting on my pedal at about 1/4 of the way up and the Filter at or around 3'o clock and Volume at mid position...This thing sounds great through my Vox Valvetronix...On mine....I get this ballsy lead tone if I volume my guitar up..The tone is both throaty in the mids,with nice strong tight lows...If I volume my guitar back,I get a cleaner rhythm tone that is slighter thinner and a bit brighter due to the treble bleed mod on my Tele..I Like what I'm hearing with my pedal so far...Cost me like $25 to build(total)...LOL
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Mine does the volume fluctuation thing too. I always figured it was overloading one of the gain stages or something.....
      || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

I never had a volume problem with any of mine...I just tried out the 2 I have right now and couldn't make it act up...Im with John...mine sounds just like he described.
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
          Just an unrelated question...what is the best paint to use for spraying those pedal boxes?
          Anyone know?
          Not sure? Steve at Small Bear has the larger boxes in red,white, blue,and black though..
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

See? Now there you go with another pedal that a bunch of people have, trick it out, and leave us all salivating over pics of it! You are a cruel man, Johnny, very cruel indeed....I'll email you on that.
            How about my MXR Dist. + ? Supposed to be what Zak Wilde uses a lot of the time for his sound, but like the stock RAT it sounds pretty harsh and also has too much line noise going thru it. It's a nice, small unit though, that could be handy on a pedalboard.

....it rocks

Comment

Originally posted by midnite_man
              See? Now there you go with another pedal that a bunch of people have, trick it out, and leave us all salivating over pics of it! You are a cruel man, Johnny, very cruel indeed....I'll email you on that.
              How about my MXR Dist. + ? Supposed to be what Zak Wilde uses a lot of the time for his sound, but like the stock RAT it sounds pretty harsh and also has too much line noise going thru it. It's a nice, small unit though, that could be handy on a pedalboard.

....it rocks
              Hello Bobby....Oh yes,I do have a tweaked up MXR D+ that I handwired all up off of one of JD Sleep's circuit boards..This pedal was given to me and had a bad factory circuit board...I don't use this pedal very much,but it does have a classic early 70s tone I Like...The RAT is better though...This was the first distortion pedal I put together like this and so the wiring was a bit sloppy,but it still works great! Pure and simple MXR pedal.

Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 09-04-2005, 06:02 PM.

Comment

I shoulda guessed!! heh-heh

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
                Hello Bobby....Oh yes,I do have a tweaked up MXR D+ that I handwired all up off of one of JD Sleep's circuit boards..This pedal was given to me and had a bad factory circuit board...I don't use this pedal very much,but it does have a classic early 70s tone I Like...The RAT is better though...This was the first distortion pedal I put together like this and so the wiring was a bit sloppy,but it still works great! Pure and simple MXR pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by midnite_man
                  I shoulda guessed!! heh-heh
                  Bobby.....I have a ton of pedals buddy!

Comment

Looks and sounds very cool John. btw - Those are the same knobs I have on my Patriot, although, mine don't have the little white lines on top.

If "life" ever gives me a little break, I need to mosey on down your way, and bring a couple geetars along.

Artie

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
                      Looks and sounds very cool John. btw - Those are the same knobs I have on my Patriot, although, mine don't have the little white lines on top.

If "life" ever gives me a little break, I need to mosey on down your way, and bring a couple geetars along.

Artie
                      Anytime Artie....Stop talking darn it and start doing buddy!

Comment

Working...
                      X