Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groove Tubes Gold Series 12AX7R's

I like 'em!

I just popped 5 of them into my MESA (I'm selling it but as long as I'm still gigging with it, it needed a retube) and it sounded GREAT at the gig last night. The clean channel on it was much sweeter and toneful than it was brand-new, and the distortions sounded better than they ever did, as well.

Just thought I'd share my comments on 'em. Anyone else like these?

Re: Groove Tubes Gold Series 12AX7R's

All I know is that I bought one Mesa 12ax7r just to try out, it sounds very harsh and rough compaired to the GT's I use. But that's odd, because most of those brands of tubes are made by the same manufacturer. Mesa does not make tubes, GT makes only a couple of models.
    " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

R for Russian?

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by marvar
        All I know is that I bought one Mesa 12ax7r just to try out, it sounds very harsh and rough compaired to the GT's I use. But that's odd, because most of those brands of tubes are made by the same manufacturer. Mesa does not make tubes, GT makes only a couple of models.
        GT doesn't manufacture tubes at ALL. Neither does MESA, as you said. Nor does ANY American company because it's illegal to manufacture tubes in the US. MESA and GT just buy from the manufacturers and pick out the ones they deem good enough to have their name on. Granted there's several different varieties of 12ax7 so thats where the difference comes in.

In any case these 12AX7R's that Groove Tubes had in their Gold Series line of offerings sounded WAY better than the MESA pre's ever did.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F
          R for Russian?
          I would assume so. I also hear the C's (Chinese?) and the newer M-Class ones that are supposed to be more like Mullards, are very good.

Comment

groove tubes does actually manufacture some of their own tubes. They bought some old GE equipment and make their own 6L6GE's. They are also working on some others, and I think the Mullard copy 12AX7's are GT made as well. The vast majority of what they sell is relabeled.

I've been digging the TAD stuff lately.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F
              groove tubes does actually manufacture some of their own tubes. They bought some old GE equipment and make their own 6L6GE's. They are also working on some others, and I think the Mullard copy 12AX7's are GT made as well. The vast majority of what they sell is relabeled.
              Did not know this.... thanks for the info!

Where are they making the tubes? Obviously not in the US.

Comment

The Groovetubes.com website could do with being a whole lot more informative. And the UK site is crap. It's like they don't want to sell the damn things.
                :: Fuzzbox.org ::
                Revs.org

Comment

I put three of the GT Mullards in my Marshall 2204 and they really do sound great. And VERY quiet! I'm putting a new set of New Sensor EL34 Mullards in the power section this week. If you are looking for EL34s the New Sensor EL34 Mullards sound fantastic!

Cheers,

CJ
                  www.myspace.com/cjreaper

Comment

I've only tried about 4 or 5 different types of tubes but I REALLY dig these. I aleays get killer results with JJ/Tesla stuff, too.

Comment

Working...
                    X