Current MXR Phase 90 - M-101 vs. the EVH model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current MXR Phase 90 - M-101 vs. the EVH model

The posts about the EVH Phase 90 in STRATDELUXER's thread got me wondering...

Has anyone compared the current M-101 Phase 90 with the EVH version?

Apart from cosmetics, is the only difference that the EVH has the script mode? Does the EVH in non-script mode sound the same as the M-101?

I'm gassin' for a phase pedal for general 70s vibe. I'm thinking more Hunter/Wagner "Rock and Roll Animal", Scott Gorham & Johnny Winter than EVH, but if the EVH pedal has the better vintage vibe it may be the one.

Re: Current MXR Phase 90 - M-101 vs. the EVH model

I have not tried the EVH Phase 90 but I can tell you this, the Dunlop reissue is pretty different than the roiginal MXR...not only the phase 90 but ALL the dunlop reissues sound different.
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

try www.buildyourownclone.com - exact copy of the vintage 70s script logo mxr phase 90, in kit form!!! that means you can paint it yourself and get it even more 70s-ish, and mod it with his recommended mods. I think it's gonna be updated soon with an optional univibe mod, which switches the sound from dead on mxr phaser clone to a univibe sound. (could be on already, i havent checked the site in a while).
      Richard

Free Shred Guitar Lessons
      Marshall Mods

Comment

heres one i made earlier...

Introduction This is the phaser pedal I wired, painted and constructed myself, it’s a replica of a vintage script logo MXR phase 90 but a bit different. It incorporates modern features, such as the LED, external power socket, and a true bypass switching system. This photo shows the front of the phaser. The paint scheme […]
        Richard

Free Shred Guitar Lessons
        Marshall Mods

Comment

The non-script mode of the EVH is the same as the current block logo reissue by Dunlop. IMO it's a waste of money. Sure, the little switch and paint job is nice but not worth the additional money. Get the orange one and mod it or build your own clone.

Comment

Thanks guys.

The M-101s are available new quite cheaply on Ebay. Think I see why now! The EVH is pricey, and I can't see the point in getting two modes when I only want one (the good one).

Think I might build my own clone. A lot cheaper than the EVH and it looks like a fun project.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon_F
              Thanks guys.

The M-101s are available new quite cheaply on Ebay. Think I see why now! The EVH is pricey, and I can't see the point in getting two modes when I only want one (the good one).

Think I might build my own clone. A lot cheaper than the EVH and it looks like a fun project.

The Dunlop reissue is a good unit, but IMO an original MXR woudl be far better. That said I'd go with the BYOC...
              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                I have not tried the EVH Phase 90 but I can tell you this, the Dunlop reissue is pretty different than the roiginal MXR...not only the phase 90 but ALL the dunlop reissues sound different.
                That's because Dunlop isn't using the actual components of the original MXR 90 of 1974 or there abouts,plus there have been some other component changes....It's not just 1 resistor change that makes your reissue sound just like the original ones...
                Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by shredaholic
                  try www.buildyourownclone.com - exact copy of the vintage 70s script logo mxr phase 90, in kit form!!! that means you can paint it yourself and get it even more 70s-ish, and mod it with his recommended mods. I think it's gonna be updated soon with an optional univibe mod, which switches the sound from dead on mxr phaser clone to a univibe sound. (could be on already, i havent checked the site in a while).
                  Yep.....I've been building classic vintage pedals for myself,but I have JD Sleep from General Guitar Gadgets send me what I don't have for the parts to build the pedals...I'll be making my own circuit boards now also,but just for my own pleasure...
                  Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by shredaholic
                    heres one i made earlier...

http://www.shredaholic.com/phase90.html
                    Very nice....I'm working with the press and print decals right now,but I think I'll paint my Phase 90 orange or as close as I can get to the original color...

I build my pedals from scratch and I only buy the boxes and whatever I Lack from doing pedal mods,but I have all soughts of transistors,opamps,caps,resistor values,etc....Basically you could say I have my own kits....

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
                      That's because Dunlop isn't using the actual components of the original MXR 90 of 1974 or there abouts,plus there have been some other component changes....It's not just 1 resistor change that makes your reissue sound just like the original ones...

I was pretty sure about all that but I didn't want to say unless I was 100%...I used to have several old MXR boxes and bought almost all the Dunlop reissue stuff when it came out...to be honest very little of it impressed me at all.

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                        I was pretty sure about all that but I didn't want to say unless I was 100%...I used to have several old MXR boxes and bought almost all the Dunlop reissue stuff when it came out...to be honest very little of it impressed me at all.
                        The Dunlop stuff cops the cosmetic vibe,but I always find that the reissues miss the mark...I mean they're close but no cigar...Even the Distortion + was lame and I had to change the circuit to get it to sound really right...It's mass produced wanna be stuff...

Comment

Working...
                        X