1983 Marshall JCM800 4104 white tolex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1983 Marshall JCM800 4104 white tolex

I'm new here but I know some from other forums.
    I'm looking into one of these amps it has been modded... extra preamp tube, second channel with independant transformer and master volumn. Mods are reputable and done well. Amp sounds killer has tons of gain in the preamp may look into 12AT7's and see if they work better. Other wise channel one sounds origional channel 2 introduces a more dual rec type gain. Also 1/4 jack for footswitch has been installed... defaults to channel 2.
    In good condition with a few dings no serious damage no cig burns or beer stains and such.
    Rola Celestion G1265 speakers. Not gigged since 97 light gigging before that and origional owner since 83.
    Svetlana EL-34 and Mesa 12AX7 (7025).
    Guy wants $1000... whattaya think?

Craig

Re: 1983 Marshall JCM800 4104 white tolex

compare it to all the other amps you could buy for $1000 - if it sounds better, get it!
    Richard

Free Shred Guitar Lessons
    Marshall Mods

Comment

Originally posted by khingpynn
      I'm new here but I know some from other forums.
      I'm looking into one of these amps it has been modded... extra preamp tube, second channel with independant transformer and master volumn. Mods are reputable and done well. Amp sounds killer has tons of gain in the preamp may look into 12AT7's and see if they work better. Other wise channel one sounds origional channel 2 introduces a more dual rec type gain. Also 1/4 jack for footswitch has been installed... defaults to channel 2.
      In good condition with a few dings no serious damage no cig burns or beer stains and such.
      Rola Celestion G1265 speakers. Not gigged since 97 light gigging before that and origional owner since 83.
      Svetlana EL-34 and Mesa 12AX7 (7025).
      Guy wants $1000... whattaya think?

Craig

I agree with shredaholic. But, I'd try to talk him into going lower. Most of the time a mod doesn't add to the value of an amp that is sought after like a JCM 800, even though they may be worth it. I think this is because there are a good number of 'modders' out there and a good mod for one person may not be a good mod for others. So, with all that said, I think it's a little high for him to be asking, but if you want it go for it.

It depends on a lot of things. First, if he needs money and doesn't use the amp, I'd go for a lower price. If this isn't the case, and he may change his mind, you'd better decide quick. Also, if it's the greatest sound you've ever heard there's not going to be a price you wouldn't (at least debat about) pay.

Comment

My early 80's JCM 800 head has been gain modded and i'm going to have it returned to stock.. too much noise for me... but i got my 800 head for $550 Canadian bucks... If it cost me $300-$500 more to fix her up then it is still worth it. That extra preamp tube causes this one to be noisey... maybe the guy who modded it didn't know what he was doing.

Comment

Thanks guys for your answeres.
          The mod was done buy John MacEntire a calgary guy who has done work for David Gilmour. The mod definetly adds to the amp but I may get James Peters ( local calgary amp builder ) to bring her back to origional spec. So yes the price should be negotiated.

Craig

Comment

Working...
          X