Speaker decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker decision

One of the speakers in my cab blew out, so I want to replace them both. I don't really know what's out there, but I've heard great things about Eminence, and they make the speakers in the G Flex which I've been happy with. I use an ADA MP-1 preamp and a Peavey Classic 60/60 power amp. I liked the stock speakers because they are very clear, and have great bass response. I don't know what kind of EQ curve or basic sound I want from the speakers, but with most of my gear I'm going for a Skid Row/Dokken kind of 80s metal sound. I could try two different speakers too. The ones with neodymium magnets look interesting because of the light weight, but the most important factor is the tone. Any recommendations?
    formerly n00b

Re: Speaker decision

*bump*
    formerly n00b

Comment

the celestion G12T-75 is used in marshall cabs. Which is mostly likely what those bands used for their tone.
      Constantly wanting new gear...

Comment

Originally posted by Nite_Maresz_25
        the celestion G12T-75 is used in marshall cabs. Which is mostly likely what those bands used for their tone.

But they have harsh highs.

Vintage 30's would be better.

Better yet, go to avatar's site and get ya a hellatone 60.
        Carvin custom strat (P-Rails/hotrails/single - Tuned Eb) -> Pod XT - - 6505+ Halfstack

Comment

Originally posted by Mephis
          But they have harsh highs.

Vintage 30's would be better.
          IIRC a 't75 is alot smother and a slight bit scoopier than the v30.

Comment

Originally posted by Nite_Maresz_25
            IIRC a 't75 is alot smother and a slight bit scoopier than the v30.

Scooped=No No for 80's metal.
            Carvin custom strat (P-Rails/hotrails/single - Tuned Eb) -> Pod XT - - 6505+ Halfstack

Comment

Originally posted by Mephis
              Scooped=No No for 80's metal.
              it's just a little bit scooped. like the scoopage of a JB, not very scoopy at all.

Comment

I might try an Eminence Manowar, which is a G12T-75 clone. I emailed Eminence and they said the stock speakers in the G Flex cab are very similar to the Eminence V12, a Celestion V30 clone, but for my style they recommend the Manowar, which goes along with the G12T-75 recommendations I've gotten from several people.
                formerly n00b

Comment

Yes, try the Man O War. I just got one I paired with a Governor and it rocks. Great for the tones you are looking for. Plus they are only around $63 or so if you look around like Dave at avatar and partsexpress.com. Don't go with Music123 at the $59 with free shipping. I waited 6 weeks and it still hadn't shipped yet so I cancelled my order.

Comment

Working...
                  X