Recommend me an OD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend me an OD!

I am looking for a different OD. I want one that sounds unique, not like most OD's out there that are made to emulate a certain tone...I dont want pimped out Tubescreamer (already have an Analogman Maxon Silver Mod TS), dont want a low gain transparent OD (have a Barber LTD), I want something different, something to set me apart. I am tired of OD pedals that make you instantly think of a song or artist, because then I just feel like I am copying someone's tone.
    I use an American Strat (maple board, 63 Chubtone pickups neck & middle, Little 59 in the bridge), and I am looking for a tight yet full overdrive capable of low to higher gain sounds (when I say high gain, I DO NOT mean mesa or hot rodded marshall, i just mean gainier and thicker). I want the lows to be tight and creamy (but not mushy), the mids to be complex and responsive but no upper mid spike (like the JB pickup), and the highs to be crisp and tight but NOT piercing...No harsh overtones/undertones! I want it to be sustainful too, no dying notes. I really want the volume control on the guitar to be able to change the sound too, I love pedals that have dynamics with the guitar controls, not just the pedal controls. I want to use this pedal for jazz (both cleaner jazz and for more electric or funky jazz) and jam type stuff and smooth blues.
    Fender USA Strat
    Dr. Z MAZ 18 Jr. Reverb
    Retroman Sybil Fuzz
    Zendrive

Re: Recommend me an OD!

Sounds like you are looking for a Love Tone Brown Source...
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Banzai Coldfusion. It's like a toothier, crunchier Klon Centaur, and it's tone is thicker than the unison uneffected tone. It's not a highgain pedal, but it's good for adding some chunk to a driven tube amp.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I guess I shoudl say that the Brown Soruce (and all other Lovetone) pedals are no longer being made and they were not cheep when they were still in production but if you can find one they are amazing...

Check out www.lovetone.com for sound clips
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

HomeBrew Electronics Big D

Hear mine in action here -- http://streamer.soundclick.com/speed...sicalclip1.mp3
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Ben,

I was under the impression that the Big D was more of a stand alond distortion with aquite a bit of gain...is that not true?

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
              Ben,
              I was under the impression that the Big D was more of a stand alone distortion with quite a bit of gain...is that not true?
              It can be; it's a bit more complicated than that. There are 5 different settings that affect the amount and type of gain that you get:

1. There are 5 different diodes ranging from very mild to very hyped. I personally use diode #4, which is a mild distortion.

2. You can choose hard and soft clipping for each diode position. This setting determines whether the pedal operates more as an OD or a distortion pedal. (I usually use soft clipping)

3. You have the actual Gain control; at 12:00 you have some serious gain on tap, but if you roll it back, you can get a very mild, transparent overdrive, too.

4. The Bigger control is a very small gain stage that also boosts the high and low end a bit.

5. You can actually keep the diode very mild as well as very low gain, and just use the Level to push your amp into overdrive.

It is also a very reponsive pedal, so a little bit goes a long way. The Gain and Level, in particular, have a LOT of push behind them!

So, you can use the Big D as a clean boost, overdrive, or all out distortion pedal!!
              Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 09-11-2005, 06:51 PM.
              Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
              My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Alright I'll be looking into those...Any other ideas out there?! They are welcome.
                Fender USA Strat
                Dr. Z MAZ 18 Jr. Reverb
                Retroman Sybil Fuzz
                Zendrive

Comment

Xotic BB preamp
                  Landgraff

I use an xotic AC booster, not as much gain as the new BB but plenty enough for my classic rock style, the pedal is virtually transparent meaning it's not adding/changing/eliminating any frequencies from the output of your guitar. If you choose to EQ them they have controls for bass and treble giving you the ability to tailor your tone. The single note definition is excellent even with the gain up all the way, cleans up like a dream with the volume on the guitar. I really love this pedal, all the others are gone (except my barber direct drive with I still like).

Landgraff - I used one for the first time last weekend, borrowed it from a friend, I loved it - very rich and thick, very expensive, long wait. I may pick one up someday but I'm in no hurry to spend $300 plus dollars.

Comment

Crowther Hot Cake
                    Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                    I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Thanks for these great suggestions!!! I am especially interested in the Xotic AC, and while I was looking at it, my interest was also sparked in the Rc booster for jazzier stuff...But back to the thread, keep the suggestions coming!!!
                      Fender USA Strat
                      Dr. Z MAZ 18 Jr. Reverb
                      Retroman Sybil Fuzz
                      Zendrive

Comment

Hermida Mosferatu, here's a clip of one inbetween a G&L ASAT and a Dr. Z Maz Sr. Very transparent in regards to your other gear, and is extremely amp-like when it comes to dynamics and feel.

After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

Indyguitarist Pinnacle
                          Gondola Kid
                          Bandcamp
                          Facebook
                          JimijaymesGuitarist
                          Youtube

Comment

Ben, have you tried the Compressor from HBE? It sounds interesting.
                            Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                            https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                            Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Danelectro FAB Overdrive

THAT'S A BIG PIC SO YOU CAN ENJOY IT MORE!
                              ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
                              2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
                              Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

Working...
                              X