Small Bottle 6L6WGB's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Bottle 6L6WGB's

I was just telling flank this...but, you guys may remember a few weeks ago I installed some NOS 6L6WGB Jan Phillips tubes into the HellHound that I am using. I put these in and they simply turned the HH into a monster. It sounds so huge with these tubes. Over the weekend I put the EH 6L6GC's back in just to compare. It still gets decent tone but it is definitely thinner, cleaner sounding with lower volume. The only problem is the neck Texas Hot now sounds very bass-y. Too bassy and kinda muddy. I still need to lower the pup and see if that will clear it up.

My question is...Do all small bottle 6L6's have this effect on an amp? Add fullness, earlier overdrive and simply add more meat to an amps sound? Is this what those TAD's do that I've heard so much about here?

This amp has no bias adjustment and the EH's that I put in previously are not matched to the HH's fixed bias. Is what I have experienced a function of the WGB tubes or having tubes properly matched to that amps bias or both?
    Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
    -Conrad Hilton

Re: Small Bottle 6L6WGB's

It looks like I found a question that is too hard for the forum to answer. I'll give it one more day. The online vendor told me that these WGB's may actually be too hot for my amp and that's why it sounds so full.
    Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
    -Conrad Hilton

Comment

Too hot? nonsense. you just need to bias them. I would find it beyond belief to think that Dennis and Joe would have designed that amp with no ability to adjust the bias. Remember fixed means adjustable.

Just bias them up! Lower that neck pup as well if need to. I LOVE those tubes. They go into all my 6L6 amps.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F
        Too hot? nonsense. you just need to bias them. I would find it beyond belief to think that Dennis and Joe would have designed that amp with no ability to adjust the bias. Remember fixed means adjustable.

Just bias them up! Lower that neck pup as well if need to. I LOVE those tubes. They go into all my 6L6 amps.
        That's what the HellHound manual says "Amp has NO bias adjustment - install tubes and use." Tubes must be pre-biased to match the amp. I'll see if I can find a local tech to bias it for me.

Thanks Scott.
        Last edited by Guitar Toad; 09-13-2005, 08:08 AM.
        -Conrad Hilton

Comment

lower the texas hot and it should be fine, i keep mine lower than most other pups

Comment

Originally posted by Guitar Toad
            That's what the HellHound manual says "Amp has NO bias adjustment - install tubes and use." Tubes must be pre-biased to match the amp. I'll see if I can find a local tech to bias it for me.

Thanks Scott.
            this is yet another reason why I'm boycotting China!

Your tech should be able to install a bias pot for you. Naylor is just using a resistor. Unless, it's cathode biased! Is that possible? Hmm...

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

I emailed Joe Naylor at Reverend and he says it is adjustable. I just need to find a local tech to do it. They say it's not user adjustable, and I haven't done it before. He said that those tubes are likely to be too hot for the amp and bias adjustment is needed.

I suppose I could open it up and look for a bias pot. Adjust it up and see what happens.
              Last edited by Guitar Toad; 09-13-2005, 02:49 PM.
              -Conrad Hilton

Comment

Working...
              X