Active EQ on Amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active EQ on Amps?

Please can someone tell me if there's anything that everyone should know about active EQ. There's one on my new Fender amp and I'm finally going to get it back in a few days. I had a little go on it before I broke it and the EQ really threw me. I've been told I should keep the EQ reletively low to what I would normally set a passive EQ section and turn the master up, sound about right?

What do active EQ's have in common with passive EQ's? I never (really never!) set the treble below 5 (usually about 6/7, sometimes 8) on my old passive EQ amp. Should I approach an active EQ differently?

Thanks,
    -Benja
    Guitars:
    Epi LP (SH-11b + SH-55n)
    Danelectro U2 '56 Reissue
    Yamaha APX5LA
    Pedals:
    MXR Super Comp, HBE Power Screamer, Toadworks Death Rattle, Carl Martin Crunch Drive, Boss CE-2, Marshall Ed The Compressor, Marshall Drivemaster, Arion EQ, Bespeco Volume Pedal
    Amps:
    Fender Prosonic combo
    Marshall JTM60 combo

Re: Active EQ on Amps?

I don't think it really matters, just set the eq to whatever sounds good to you. No one can give you exact settings, it should just depend on your ears.
    Fender MIM Strat 59 trembucker bridge/Super II neck
    Edwards 56' Goldtop 2 x SD P90-1s
    Marshall JCM 900 MKIV 2100 slx
    Marshall JCM 900 1936 Celestion GT-75/Vintage 30 cab,
    Fender Frontman 15g
    Cry Baby
    Boss DS-2
    Boss CE-3
    Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

Amps are all different but with active EQs, you're generally better off starting from a relatively neutral setting (all knobs at 12:00) and tweaking from there vs. the skewed EQ that folks often use as a starting point.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
      My Music

Comment

Originally posted by aleclee
        Amps are all different but with active EQs, you're generally better off starting from a relatively neutral setting (all knobs at 12:00) and tweaking from there vs. the skewed EQ that folks often use as a starting point.
        I think that's good advice for any EQ. Most people use EQ to boost frequencies and forget that they're equally useful for cutting frequencies as well. Start flat and work it from there.
        Originally posted by ImmortalSix
        I am just jug the merlot

Comment

I always set midpoint as maximum and just cut frequencies, other wise you start to lose tonal quality.

I'm not sure if amps work exactly like car audio, but I learned that from EQing stereos for car audio. I would imagine the same would apply, unless you want the EQ to add to your gain. On my amp, perfectly netrual sounds perfect I just add a little presence.
          Carvin custom strat (P-Rails/hotrails/single - Tuned Eb) -> Pod XT - - 6505+ Halfstack

Comment

Working...
          X