X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B2D
    replied
    Re: Which speaker for a Legacy?

Well I called up avatar and after a short conversation with Dave, he guided me towards the Tonker or the Swamp Thangs. I bought the Swamp Thangs.

I'll let y'all know how they sound once they come in!

Leave a comment:

• B2D
    replied

Originally posted by B2D
    I was just browsing the Eminence site... the Texas Heat looks like it might be a good match, too. Maybe mixing it with a v12 or a Swamp Thang would sound cool?
    Hmmm?? Any opinions, please.

Leave a comment:

• B2D
    replied

eh?

Leave a comment:

• B2D
    replied

I was just browsing the Eminence site... the Texas Heat looks like it might be a good match, too. Maybe mixing it with a v12 or a Swamp Thang would sound cool?

Leave a comment:

• B2D
    replied

Originally posted by Lewguitar
    Vintage 30's are bright. I'd suggest the Celestion G12H30. It's like a Vintage 30 but with smoother highs, thicker mids and more bass. That Weber used to be called the C12B I believe. I audtioned it and found it lacking the hollow midrange complexity of a real Vintage 30. Cool speaker, but I like the Celestions better. Lew

I'm running Weber C1230s in my 2x12 right now, and those are replicas of the original spec G12H30s and I love 'em, but I've heard clips of them with a Legacy and preferred the V30... like i said the Legacy seems to perform best with that type of speaker. Thanks for the advice though.

Is that C12B the same model mentioned on the Weber link, with the name changed ir is it a different one?

Leave a comment:

• Lewguitar
    Guest replied

Vintage 30's are bright. I'd suggest the Celestion G12H30. It's like a Vintage 30 but with smoother highs, thicker mids and more bass. That Weber used to be called the C12B I believe. I audtioned it and found it lacking the hollow midrange complexity of a real Vintage 30. Cool speaker, but I like the Celestions better. Lew
    Last edited by Guest; 09-16-2005, 03:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• B2D
    replied

Originally posted by kevlar3000
    You are describing the Swamp Thang to a T. Great bottom but no muck at all. Very nice clarity w/o treble harshness. It is not a thick mucky voice, it is huge and clear.
    I'll check out some sound clips of that when I'm not at work, between billing statements.

I'll let y'all know what I think of that.

Leave a comment:

• kevlar3000
    replied

You are describing the Swamp Thang to a T. Great bottom but no muck at all. Very nice clarity w/o treble harshness. It is not a thick mucky voice, it is huge and clear.

Leave a comment:

• B2D
    replied

Originally posted by kevlar3000
    Try putting fabric softener on the speaker cone and let it dry before useing it again. It can really loosen up the speaker and make it sound much more vintage. I have done it with many speakers and it really works well. The V12 is meant to be a V30 copy, a bit warmer but still similiar. I have fallen in love with the eminence Swamp Thang, speaker has guts and a beautiful, warm high end. I now stay away from speakers with lots of high end, I like it to be warmer and fatter.
    Now THERES a trick I haven't heard... when you say fabric softener do you mean like... painting Downy on the face of the speaker with a paintbrush or something??

as far as the tone I like the lows to be very deep and full, but still tight and controlled. Not wooly or woofy, though. The mids need to be clear and articulate and the highs crisp and present but smooth as well. The overall feel needs to be FAST and responsive as well.

Originally posted by jeremy
    are you talking about the carvin amp? when it first came out it was supposed to be paired greenbacks but steve switched to v30's after gigging with it for a little while. probably wanted a little more power handling for his experimental guitar styles
    Thats the one. Yeah the early examples of the 4x12 cabs did get shipped with Greenbacks. I've played both and i think the v30 complements the sound of the amp a little more.

Leave a comment:

• jeremy
    replied

are you talking about the carvin amp? when it first came out it was supposed to be paired greenbacks but steve switched to v30's after gigging with it for a little while. probably wanted a little more power handling for his experimental guitar styles

Leave a comment:

• kevlar3000
    replied

Try putting fabric softener on the speaker cone and let it dry before useing it again. It can really loosen up the speaker and make it sound much more vintage. I have done it with many speakers and it really works well. The V12 is meant to be a V30 copy, a bit warmer but still similiar. I have fallen in love with the eminence Swamp Thang, speaker has guts and a beautiful, warm high end. I now stay away from speakers with lots of high end, I like it to be warmer and fatter.

Leave a comment:

• B2D
    started a topic Which speaker for a Legacy?

Which speaker for a Legacy?

Which speaker do you think would be a better match for a Legacy head - an Eminence V12 or this Weber model seen here.. https://weberspeakerscom.secure.poww...weber/12vf.htm

??

The amp was designed around the Vintage 30 but I can still hear some harshness in the highs... there's not a LOT of room for improvement in the basic tone (its already pretty good) but if it can be really maxed out with slightly different speakers then I'm game.
Working...
X