Which speaker for a Legacy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which speaker for a Legacy?

Well Dave said that with that amp being kinda dark and bassy naturally, the Swamp Thang will allow the low end to bloom but allow the highs to sparkle naturally. He said the Eminence V12 might be TOO smooth for that particular amp, and I think after what I've heard about that speaker he may be right. I can't have a speaker thats TOO bright, because the the low end won't be acommodated at the amp will "fart" easily. I saw this in person with some stock celestions in a Marshall.

I think that the Swamp Thang will work nicely and if I have any problems Dave remined me i can use the 2-week return policy. Nice company to work with...

Comment

Yeah, Dave seems like a good guy. That's where I picked up my V12 from last year. I'll be looking forward to your review of the Swamp Thang!
      Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Comment

Originally posted by taphappy
        Did you try the fabric softener?
        The speakers aren't even HERE yet plus I didn't get V30s.

Comment

Well I played the amp at medium with the Swamp Thangs this evening...

HOLY JEEBUS the low end is fricken HUGE. Anything beyond 6 on the bass is far too much LOL. The cleans are excellent, though. I haven't tried the amp at full gigging volume yet, thats gonna come tomorrow so I cant give it a full review til then. The response is amazing (REAL fast touch sensitivity) and really responds to the amp well.

From what I've heard though I feel may end up wanting a touch less bass, more mids and more highs, and more of an overall British flavor. It'll all depend on what I hear from the amp tomorrow, though.

I can also remember Dave @ avatar recommending the Tonker and the Classic Lead 80 from Celestion. Anyone got any opinions on those?

Stay tuned...

Comment

After a clos study of the Eminence speaker tone guide for the Patriots and the Red Coats, the Wizard (wixedmords' suggestion) seems like it may fit the bill best for an Eminence speaker.

If I go Celestion, I may just go ahead with the V30.

This amp puts out a LOT of bass and is real dark sounding, but not muddy. I think what it needs is a speaker that can handle the lows but brings out the highs as well.

I'm going to the rehearsal space now to give it a full volume workout. Be back in a few.

Comment

Yeah... after a good 3-hour high volume workout I'm definitely gonna need less bass, crisper mids (they're a wee bit dark now) and more highs to really get what i want.

I'll call avatar tomorrow and return the ST's and order up some Wizards. If that doesn't do the trick then I'll get V30's and get on with my sorry life.

Comment

I think the Wizard may be up your alley B2D.

The Governor is in the "flavor" of the V30, but doesn't have that upper-mid frequency spike that your ears tire of, like a V30. It is also smoother, smidge less in your face midrange, therefore some think it is darker. It is kinda a blusier (sp?) V30. The Wizard is a step brighter than the Governor, and the PJ is a step brighter than that.

That being said, I love a good smack-you-square-in-the-face V30.

A Governor goes great with a brighter speaker, say a Screamin' Eagle or a Private Jack. I have a Governor matched with a Marshall/Celestion G12 - 70 in a 2x12, and is a fantastic combo.

I put a Screamin' Eagle in a Laney combo of mine that was dark, after trying to bring out the best of that darkness with a V30. Now, with the Screamin' Eagle, I can really say the amp sounds "Lit", that special sound of an amp being "in the zone", or at least in the zone to my ears.

You just gotta try some things and make some adjustments.
                Last edited by wixedmords; 09-26-2005, 04:00 PM.
                Jackson, Ibanez & Ovation Guitars
                Laney, Marshall & Peavey Amplification

((tube max dissipation wattage / amp plate voltage) x % of max dissipation wattage) x 1000 = bias current in mA

"There was never a horse that couldn't be rode, never a man that couldn't be throwed." - Marshall Matt Dillon - GUNSMOKE (1959)

Comment

Originally posted by wixedmords
                  I think the Wizard may be up your alley B2D.

The Governor is in the "flavor" of the V30, but doesn't have that upper-mid frequency spike that your ears tire of, like a V30. It is also smoother, smidge less in your face midrange, therefore some think it is darker. It is kinda a blusier (sp?) V30. The Wizard is a step brighter than the Governor, and the PJ is a step brighter than that.

That being said, I love a good smack-you-square-in-the-face V30.

A Governor goes great with a brighter speaker, say a Screamin' Eagle or a Private Jack. I have a Governor matched with a Marshall/Celestion G12 - 70 in a 2x12, and is a fantastic combo.

I put a Screamin' Eagle in a Laney combo of mine that was dark, after trying to bring out the best of that darkness with a V30. Now, with the Screamin' Eagle, I can really say the amp sounds "Lit", that special sound of an amp being "in the zone", or at least in the zone to my ears.

You just gotta try some things and make some adjustments.
                  Thanks a bunch! I really appreciate the input.

Comment

Please keep us posted.

I'm really interested in the speaker combos for the Legacy. Please be sure to give us a full rundown of the amplifier with the matching cabinet when you do find the optimal match

Judging from the tone guides, the Wizard seems like your best fit. Good luck with it all.
                    Gear:

PRS CE22 (Evo/Evo)
                    Fender MIM Powerhouse Stratocaster (Custom/Lil'59) Pic*

PODxt
                    Atomic 112

Comment

Crud... avatar won't do returns on raw speakers (but they'll do returns on cabs with speakers in them ) so i have to sell the ST's to get the Wizards. Meanwhile, I dont have a cab. Dammit!

Anyone want some barely used ST's?

Comment

wouldn't it suck if you ended up with v-30's in the end anyway? I like the V-30's with my legacy.

Comment

Originally posted by Xeromus
                          wouldn't it suck if you ended up with v-30's in the end anyway? I like the V-30's with my legacy.
                          No it wouldnt suck but it WOULD teach me a lesson, though.

I talked to the guys at the Eminence lab... they said that people who usually love the V30 for everything except the harshness (like me) usually go for Wizards, Tonkers, or V12s.

Check the trading post, btw.

Comment

Working...
                          X