banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am finished with being a namebrand snob.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am finished with being a namebrand snob.

Alright guys I have really been GASin for a class a amp for a while...it was my goal to spend this past Saturday checking out Dr. Z amps at a dealer here in Atl. I played the amp that I thought I wanted the Maz 18 Jr. 2x10 with reverb. It was a really sweet amp, but it didn't quite have the breakup I was looking for and quite honestly would be too loud for my use. On to the Carmen Ghia....it sounded great, but in order to get the breakup I was looking for I had to crank it past where it would be usable in the church environment I play in. These both were great amps and I was highly impressed. I just didn't hear the sound I have in my head so I left somewhat disapointed. Since guitar center is just down the street I stopped in. They had many of the really nice names(used) Tophat, Diezil (spelling??) Mesa....you get the picture, but somehow I ended up playing on a blonde Crate V32 which is a class a EL84 amp special edition exclusive to GC.(Not to be mistaken with the black V30) Now in the past I have been a snob about even being seen near a Crate, but a guy I know that worked there convinced me to try it. Let me just say this, after I finally humbled myself to get past my Crate phobia I plugged in a Highway 1 Tele and honestly was in tone heaven!!! That thing sounded awesome!!!! It has a really killer sounding clean and the OD is quite nice as well!! I am not by any means trying to compare Zs with Crate here, but I must say that I am talking more to my guitar buddies about the $599 Crate than I am the Zs that I played. There again the Zs were gorgeous, but so was the price tag$$$$. I have never been too cheap to pay for high end stuff, but I think as soon as I get over my name brand arrogance I will be back for the V32. I would have never believed it, but I was really impressed!!
    I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Re: I am finished with being a namebrand snob.

I have the Eric Clapton Crossroads DVD and quite a few of the players were using Crate Classic V50's, they were all getting some great tone. Sometimes you find those gems and sometimes they come from the least likely sources.

Comment

I could give a rip what it says on the amp or the neck or what it looks like, I only care what it sounds like. A bunch of great tones out there whether you have the bucks or not.
      ]
      FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

I've got the 2x12" 50w V-Series combo. I really like it, but I might be selling it in order to get a Mesa Nomad 55 combo. I just want three channels. And though this amp sounds great, at higher levels the overdrive channel doesn't quite stay the same. Blah.

Comment

It's your amp, it's your tone. Who cares what anyone else thinks? Go with what sounds good to you.
          Mr. Way Too Proud of Texas Guy

Nothing nothing nothing, nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing.

Comment

I have a Crate V-series too. And the thing freakin' rips man. vfx5112. 1x12 50w combo, I put a celestion vintage 30 in mine. It's just the coolest sounding amp I've ever played to date. Even compared to more expensive amps.

Comment

Post a clip!

Comment

Crate V series kicks ass. I currently own a V1512 with a tone tubby and it is so much more versitile and sounds so much better than my friends more expensive(I got a really good deal) and specd Fender Blues Junior. Personally I have no problem with playing a non name brand amp because if someone starts talking to me about how they have x amp that is bigger or fancier or more expensive or just plain from a better regarded brand I just say to myself "I only spent $400 for mine and it sounds better while this loser went and broke the bank for worse tone." and thinking that makes my day.
                Originally posted by ratherdashing
                If inviting 200 drunken strangers to your parents house is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Comment

Originally posted by kevlar3000
                  A bunch of great tones out there whether you have the bucks or not.
                  This is so true. And more true today than ever before.

Comment

i was always thinking about saving up for a gibson.. i tried my girlfriends gordon smith GS-1.60, i got pipped on ebay for one yesterday...

jesus, GSG's are awesome lol - the necks are gorgeous, just a lump of mahogany with all you need on it.. solid stuff!

tom

Comment

Gordon's new to me. first time i heard about it. How's it look like
                      Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
                      Gibson 1959 reissue
                      Gibson 1960 reissue
                      Gibson EDS-1275

Freedom through the blood of Christ

Comment

You know.. I guess I have been stuck with a bad taste in my mouth since my early years of playing when every 14 year old bedroom rock star buys a Crate because they have 2 12's and 130 watts and they are loud as crap!!! But oh how one's heart changes after the first note of a Twin Reverb!!! Ever since then I guess I had just heard so many bad things about Crate amps as well as no one that I like played them. I am wayyyyyy impressed by the V32 and will be buying one soon. It was funny because I was talking with a guy at GC and he has the Crate V8 and was there to trade for the V15 and he too said it took him a while to get over the snob factor!! LOL
                        Last edited by B Bent; 09-19-2005, 07:20 AM.
                        I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Comment

I really need to check one of those out
                          7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

Well keep in mind St. Louis music makes ampeg as well as a bunch of other brands. This amp isn't in the same category as Crate's solid state and blue voodoo garbage. That's actually why they don't put the name on the front of it.

Comment

i like those crate amps, i dont think the gc v32 is much different than the normal crate v30 but heres my advice if you are picking one up.

get a set of tubes and speaker thrown in. gtel84s power tubes and whatever preamp tubes you like, i like the 12ax7c variety for a warm bluesy/rock tone. id say put a celestion g12h-30w in there and youll be very happy. itll give you more volume and a better tone

Comment

Working...
                              X