banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of distortion pedal do you use for your Tube amp ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What kind of distortion pedal do you use for your Tube amp ?

People that say there is no need for dist/OD boxes just don' get it...I prefer older style non master volume amps and it's not all the time that I can crank them up to get crunch. Plus, I do like the tone of some of my dirt boxes, here are a few of my favs...

Pro Co Rat-Classic tone IMO, I have 2 and always make sure I have one with me

Love Tone Brown Source-Best mild OD EVER...sounds great all the time, killer into a clean Fender amp and also amazing into an already "pushed" amp...

TS808/SD-1 -Mild OD with a very signature kind of tone...cuits off the bass, has a hump in the mids but has a cool tone that I do use from time to time...these are also good boxs for pushing an already driven tube amp.
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

One of my secret weapons is my Pro Analog Dual Drive. It's the most transparent and dynamic pedal I've ever played. Unlike other pedals, when I put it through my amp, my amp still sounds like my amp. No playing mistakes are unturned, they're right out there in the open (it's beautiful hearing everything ).

I use the overdrive side of the pedal to add some volume to my rhythm channel and add some mids and a little gain to cut through the mix and stand out for solo work. It's smooth and high fidelity, so it adds a perfect 3rd channel to my amplifier.
      Originally posted by kevlar3000
      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
      Originally posted by Zerberus
      Better is often the enemy of good
      Originally posted by ginormous
      Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I use a Boss OD3 and a Rat2 with my Fender Blues Deville. The OD3 for smooth overdrive and jazzfusion, and the Rat2 for loud distorsion and heavy rock. The stock overdrive channel in a Blues Deville does not sound like I want it to.

Comment

I recently dug out an ART Xtreme effects pedal.
          I'm currently using it as to facilitate the sound that I want
          The stock OD is good, but not really good enuf despite having the MXR EQ =o
          Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
          Gibson 1959 reissue
          Gibson 1960 reissue
          Gibson EDS-1275

Freedom through the blood of Christ

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH
            Easy there.

George Lynch (used to anyway), Yngwie Malmsteen to name a few. There's countless others that used Plexi's or Plexi-style amps with a tubescreamer to push the amp's front end. Zakk Wylde still does (using is MXR OD) with his 2203 and the 2203 is not high gain by today's standards at all.

He never said anything about a device imitating the sound, he simply stated what other use to push the front end of an amp harder to get the tubes overdriven.
            Yngwie, I think, already have his plexis (no master volume) already cranked up and stomps on his DOD when soloing. His live tone is just awesome!

And yeah, the HS3 and YJM are low output pups too.

Yngwie rules!

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp
              I'm using the prototype Seymour Duncan SFX-03.
              i think one of thse prototypes needs to be oh, let's say in NY with a metal/punk player/gear junky lol...hint hint! send it to a picky high gain junky and i'll let you know the truth

as for me and the topic of the post. i don't use any distortion pedals, i'm like odie, i like amp distortion and not one pedal i've ever tried has sounded as good as some screaming high gain tube amp distortion! however i do have a tube screamer clone i use in the clean channel for a slightly gritty pushed sound but not in the gain channel.

however if i HAD to use a distortion pedal the only ones i would consider (as of now since i haven't heard the duncan pedal) would be a G2D morpheus, a damage control demonizer or perhaps a mesa v-twin.

-Mike
              www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Easy there.

George Lynch (used to anyway), Yngwie Malmsteen to name a few. There's countless others that used Plexi's or Plexi-style amps with a tubescreamer to push the amp's front end. Zakk Wylde still does (using is MXR OD) with his 2203 and the 2203 is not high gain by today's standards at all.

He never said anything about a device imitating the sound, he simply stated what other use to push the front end of an amp harder to get the tubes overdriven.
                The point is, why would you use a Plexi, if you're going to change the entire character of the sound? I'm not talking about a solo "kick" or a boost for a passage; using a pedal to achieve a sound is masking or covering up the sound the Plexi gets.

To fork out the bank and use a Plexi for nothing other than a power amp and bragging rights seems kinda silly. Kind of like getting the Mona Lisa and putting a velvet Elvis over the top of it. Yeah, you have a classic as a base, but it's completely covered by something tacky.
                *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
                Originally posted by Slash2987
                Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
                Originally posted by PVFan
                I'm a good sex man.
                Originally posted by Grumpy
                I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Originally posted by The Golden Boy
                  The point is, why would you use a Plexi, if you're going to change the entire character of the sound? I'm not talking about a solo "kick" or a boost for a passage; using a pedal to achieve a sound is masking or covering up the sound the Plexi gets.

To fork out the bank and use a Plexi for nothing other than a power amp and bragging rights seems kinda silly. Kind of like getting the Mona Lisa and putting a velvet Elvis over the top of it. Yeah, you have a classic as a base, but it's completely covered by something tacky.
                  But it depends on what OD you use. There are OD pedals out there now that don't color the sound very much and still allow the natural sound of the amp overdriven to come though. The MXR ZW OD is a perfect example. Your tone remains intact.

The Ibanez Soundtank Tubescreamer is going to sound aweful compared to an original, or a Fulltone, or a Boss SD-1 or the MXR Wylde. A good overdrive will achive good results. Just like anything, garbage in, garbage out.

People use Plexi's because they sound great, plain and simple. Yeah, there's other amps out there with gobs of gain in them, but sometimes the tried and true just work.

Comment

I kinda went through this a few years back. A friend was selling his '66 Showman and 2x12 cab. It was a cool amp, and I got it for cheap. He always sounded great with it, but he played nothing like me. As you know, a Showman is pretty much a Twin head, for the most part. I wanted it to be like my Marshall. It's not going to do that. Even cranked, it didn't have the character I was looking for. So I tried pedals, and lots of them. Over the counter pedals, boutique pedals, custom pedals... It occurred to me, 'I've got an amp a lot of guys would kill for, but it doesn't do the sound I want, and in fact, for the sounds I'm getting I could just stick these pedals in front of my GK800rb and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.'
                    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
                    Originally posted by Slash2987
                    Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
                    Originally posted by PVFan
                    I'm a good sex man.
                    Originally posted by Grumpy
                    I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Originally posted by The Golden Boy
                      Who?

If you have a Plexi, you're using that as your gain device. If you're relying on a pedal to push your amp, you probably shouldn't be using a Plexi.

If you can show me a pedal that accurately and believably imitates the sound, feel and dynamics of a tube amp overdriving, I'll show you money.
                      Where do you live at??

Comment

Easy there.

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by fretburner
                          Yngwie, I think, already have his plexis (no master volume) already cranked up and stomps on his DOD when soloing. His live tone is just awesome!

And yeah, the HS3 and YJM are low output pups too.

Yngwie rules!
                          I've spoken with Yngwie's Guitar tech and he has told me that Yngwie maxs out his DOD 250/YJM308 boxes and leaves them on all the time. Yngwie then controls the amount of volume on the guitar, rolling it up for solos and down to about 7-8 for rythmns.

Comment

My jackhammer sounds great to me, i'd prefer to use my laneys natural distortion but volume issues prevent me from cranking it to the point of nice breakup
                            My Strats
                            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...tures/rawl.jpg
                            ----------
                            Boss ME-50, MT-2, DF-2, BF-2, CH-1, PW-10, RV-3
                            Ibanez TS9
                            Marshall Jackhammer
                            pretty much only the jackhammer gets used. PM me with any requests to buy the other pedals, i don't use them
                            ----------
                            Laney VC30 EL84 All Brit Tube

Comment

Working...
                            X