Would this work for a pseudo soldano?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would this work for a pseudo soldano?

I was just thinking, could I use the crate powerblock with a soldano supercharger GTO into its poweramp section, then into a 2x12 and get NEAR soldano tones?

This wouldn't cost much more than a 5150 and if it got me anywhere in the ball park (Of soldano tone) I'd be overjoyed.

The supercharger GTO is a REAL preamp out of a SLO-100, with the tubes running at correct plate voltages. It just had me wondering.

Could be the end all solution for me, if it'd sound descent.
    Carvin custom strat (P-Rails/hotrails/single - Tuned Eb) -> Pod XT - - 6505+ Halfstack

Re: Would this work for a pseudo soldano?

No it won't, for one main reason: no tube power section.

The thing with soldanos is they sound best when wound up to high volume, as the power section starts to work out. That's the soldano tone you hear on records and onstage.

For low bucks, the 5150 is an excellent soldano-style amp. Of course, you'll need to crank it, too, but that's the nature of such things. Neither a soldano or a 5150 is a usable bedroom solution. If you're not gigging/rehearsing, I'd go with a modeler.
    Originally posted by Jolly
    ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Hmm, I are you sure a 5150 has that kind of sweeter high-gain tone?

I was under the impression that they were raw and brutal, nothing sweet about it.
      Carvin custom strat (P-Rails/hotrails/single - Tuned Eb) -> Pod XT - - 6505+ Halfstack

Comment

I'm tellin ya, if you want the best highgain head you can get for the money, get a Vox Valvetronix AD60 head used on Ebay for around $340. I use one at home, and it duplicates the sound of a Bogner, Soldano, Rectifier, or VHT, depending on how you adjust the highgain amp models with the OD models. You can really shape the gain however you want it.......and the end result is a lot better than the Soldano pedal/Crate powerblock. And on top of that, you've got the very nice Vox and Fender clean models, headphone jack, recording out, FX, and tuner.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
          I'm tellin ya, if you want the best highgain head you can get for the money, get a Vox Valvetronix AD60 head used on Ebay for around $340. I use one at home, and it duplicates the sound of a Bogner, Soldano, Rectifier, or VHT, depending on how you adjust the highgain amp models with the OD models. You can really shape the gain however you want it.......and the end result is a lot better than the Soldano pedal/Crate powerblock. And on top of that, you've got the very nice Vox and Fender clean models, headphone jack, recording out, FX, and tuner.

You're right, you're completely right.

I love Vox's modeling to death, altho their quality seems to be a little on the low. I'll be sure to check that out.

And I could afford that without having to sell my soul!

*Edit* I just checked ebay and they dont have any. And the looks of it are kind of hard to over come...
          Last edited by Mephis; 09-21-2005, 05:47 PM.

Comment

My Boss GT-8 gets me killer SLO and other high gain tones at pretty much any level. Of course, I use mine with a Mesa power amp, and the louder you turn it up, the better it sounds.

BTW, I got my GT-8 for $400 and the Mesa for $500, a lot less than a SLO.
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
              My Boss GT-8 gets me killer SLO and other high gain tones at pretty much any level. Of course, I use mine with a Mesa power amp, and the louder you turn it up, the better it sounds.

BTW, I got my GT-8 for $400 and the Mesa for $500, a lot less than a SLO.

I'd just buy a used soldano hotrod if I had that kinda $$$.

The main reason I made this thread was, I just wanted to know if the powerblock made a good poweramp or not.

I like the tones I'm getting from my jackhammer into my classic 50, but I'd like to be able to pull a little more gain without the amp becoming un-ruley.

Comment

Having owned a couple of Soldanos over the years, I'll tell you that it's a tone that modelers emulate quite accurately.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                My Music

Comment

Working...
                X