Valvetronix Redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valvetronix Redux

Well, I finally had a little time to play through the AD 50 and here is a short review.

Nice amp. I have played many amps (Boogies, vintage Fenders, vintage Marshalls, Peavey tube models) and the Vox does a great job of being true to the original amps. The Twin model has the pianolike low end of an original Fender which suprised me to no end. The Boogie models ( Numetal & US high gain) sound very boogie-ish including outragous usable gain and the zippy highend of a recto. The AC-30 TB has a beautiful Beatlesque chime when clean & has that great overdrive tone as well. The Marshall sounds were good and very usable, although not as authentic as the others.

I have never had the chance to play through a Dumble so I can't comment as to authenticity of the model except to say that it is one of my faves. The clean sound is very lush and full with fat bass, good mids & very smooth treble response. The dirty sound is somewhere between a vintage Fender and an a old mark series Boogie. Sweet with a nice sustain and responsive to the touch.

The most suprising thing was the "feel" the Vox has.....it behaves like a tube amp. The amp cleans up when I roll back the volume knob on my Strat and barks when you dig in.

I once was a tube amp snob...not anymore. I'm finally embracing technology....the Vox sounds and feels close enough for a tube amp for me.

Sorry if I rambled.........................Joe
    Originally posted by tone4days
    we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Re: Valvetronix Redux

Yep... I like my AD30.

I'm considering a larger one.
    Carvin custom strat (P-Rails/hotrails/single - Tuned Eb) -> Pod XT - - 6505+ Halfstack

Comment

The 50 has a closed back with a Celestion. I didn't play through a 30 so I don't know how much it affects the tone.

Comment

10inch with a sealed cab.

I'd like a 2x12 with about 120watts and many more models. Especialy some more botique high-gain models.
        Carvin custom strat (P-Rails/hotrails/single - Tuned Eb) -> Pod XT - - 6505+ Halfstack

Comment

I'm still a tube snob....that's why I put a Sovtek 12AX7LPS in my Valvetronix head, and pulled out the Sovtek 12AX7A.

It's a fun amp to own, since it's so versatile, and layed out like any other amp.
          Just treat it like you would a tube amp, and use good speakers and cabs.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
            I'm still a tube snob....that's why I put a Sovtek 12AX7LPS in my Valvetronix head, and pulled out the Sovtek 12AX7A.

It's a fun amp to own, since it's so versatile, and layed out like any other amp.
            Just treat it like you would a tube amp, and use good speakers and cabs.

GJ, What's the dif between the 12AX7A and the 12AX7LPS?

Comment

^In that amp, nothing. This is what too many years of using tube amps does to you!

Do you happen to know what model celestion is in it?
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Believe it or not, I started on drums. Then I decided to become a musician.

Comment

Originally posted by mnbaseball91
                ^In that amp, nothing. This is what too many years of using tube amps does to you!

Do you happen to know what model celestion is in it?
                Not sure, I haven't opened it up. The manual says 1 12 inch Celestion made for Vox. It sounds good.

Comment

their site said that its a celestion 70/80. also, i think the us higain is supposed to be the soldano model.

yea, i have the ad50 and i love it to death! i mean, my bro plays a xxx combo and i will agree that it feels very tube-like. it may be just me, but i dont hear a $400 difference, and their soldano model (which i abuse) has some great, think, and unique distortion that i dont hear much from other players =P

while we're on the topic of valvetronix amps, i'll just ask this again. what speaker would go well in the ad50, especially a soldano-abusing ad50? =P

Comment

I tell you what I use my AD15 all the time and I have recorded with it quite a bit as well, it has to be one of the best deals in the music industry.
                    My Bands -
                    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                    GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage
                      I tell you what I use my AD15 all the time and I have recorded with it quite a bit as well, it has to be one of the best deals in the music industry.
                      hey Wattage, do you mike it or use the headphone out?
                      Originally posted by Jolly
                      ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

I own the VTX 120 stereo head and I run it through the matching Vox AD 2X12 cab or my Marshall V30 4X12 cab...Love this amp! I use this more than any other amp I own and this includes vintage Fender and Marshall amps!
                        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage

Scott is dead-on about that amp. Great sounding and a helluva good deal.
                          "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

I payed $600 for my VTX 120 head and couldn't be any happier with it..
                            Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by zilong
                              their site said that its a celestion 70/80. also, i think the us higain is supposed to be the soldano model.

yea, i have the ad50 and i love it to death! i mean, my bro plays a xxx combo and i will agree that it feels very tube-like. it may be just me, but i dont hear a $400 difference, and their soldano model (which i abuse) has some great, think, and unique distortion that i dont hear much from other players =P

while we're on the topic of valvetronix amps, i'll just ask this again. what speaker would go well in the ad50, especially a soldano-abusing ad50? =P

the "US High Gain" doesn't sound anything like a soldano to me, I thought it was suposidly a Peavey 5150EX. You know, the peavey 5150 with extra gain thats covered in snake skin.

Comment

Working...
                              X