"Practice" Amp shootout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Practice" Amp shootout

Never played the "A-Bomb", but they seem cool too...18w vs. 60w though?

I've got a 20watter that's loud as hell, so if that's all you need, go for it

Even a TM10 with a POD XTL or a TECH21 TriAC would be cool.

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
    Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
    FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

I'm pretty happy with a Vox AD60 head on top of the Bogner large 2-12 w/vin 30's.
      The Bogner gives it that Marshall 'thonk' and I don't care what any of the controls on the rotary dial say, I just turn the knobs till the amp gives me what I'm looking for.
      For example, you can get some of the best tones on the tweed, Vox, Blackface, and Mesa settings, then finish off the sound by finding the right OD model.

The variable wattage selector, tuner, and recording out has me spoiled. It's the best home practice setup I've owned.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Crate V58, 5 watt tube combo with an 8inch speaker. Its not versitile but just crank it and it sounds pretty good. It had a gain control but it has very little clean headroom but its a lot of fun. But thats just a suggestion because I am a tube fanatic, I don't know if it gets good marshall crunch or not because I only tried it on moderate settings. Also the one I tried had had the tubes replaced with better ones so I can't really draw conclutions.
        Originally posted by ratherdashing
        If inviting 200 drunken strangers to your parents house is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Comment

Fender Champ
          Electar Tube 10
          AX84 P1, P1X or HiOctane with an octal power tube socket

The Champ, Electar, and P1 all have about the same circuit. They will get you a bit of crunch but you'll need a pedal to really get some gain. I was surprised at how much gain the Tube 10 had. The HiOctane uses a front end similar to the Marshall 2203/2204 with more gain.

Comment

One cool thing about Roland, at least the Cube 30 and 60 is that they have on board effects which may be desirable if you don't yet have an effects setup.

CoachC

Comment

Originally posted by chill
              Fender Champ
              The HiOctane uses a front end similar to the Marshall 2203/2204 with more gain.
              Could you elaborate on this please, chill? I've never heard of it?
              I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Working...
              X