Finally a tube amp..!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally a tube amp..!

Alright folks I finally gave in and bought a used Peavey Classic 30.
    Its my first tube amp so here are some questions

-How do I know when I should replace the tubes ?
    -Does the classic 30 require any biasing?
    I heard from some owners that I do not have to rebias the classic 30 , just pop in the tubes

Are there any other important information about tube amps I should know about?

Thanks

Re: Finally a tube amp..!

Congrats, bro. That's an awesome sounding amp. I almost bought a used one myself, but at the time I thought I needed a new amp, so I got the Blues Jr. There were a lot of good points for both. That Classic 30 is a great amp.

When to change the tubes? You'll know. It'll start sounding like crap...or worse.

I'm not familiar with the biasing on it. I looked it over when I was considering buying it, but I didn't know anything about tube amps at the time, either, so that wasn't something I was concerned with. I'm sure there's some people on here that know, though.
    It's hard to be metal in girl pants.

My Gear

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

You can always do the 'tap test' to see if any tubes are microphonic, turn the amp on, w/o hooking up a cord and guitar, and lightly tap on each tube with a pencil,(the eraser end) and listen to see if any of the tapping is coming thru the speakers. IF so you have a microphonic tube, which doesn't always mean the tube is bad, but it is not in spec. Unless I'm wrong, I thought I heard that the Peaveys were auto biasing, but don't take my word for that.
      Pre amp tubes do not have to be biased. only when you replace power tubes.
      " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

Originally posted by marvar
        I thought I heard that the Peaveys were auto biasing, but don't take my word for that.
        Im pretty sure I heard that too somewhere, is anyone sure of this??

Comment

, but how do I actually bias my map for new Poweramp tubes? Do Marshall DSLs have to be re-biasedon tube change?

thanks

7ender 7anboy.

Comment

If you bought the Classic 30 used, head over to www.eurotubes.com and pick out a re-tube kit that suits your style. With a used amp, you have no idea of how old the tubes are. The Classic 30 is a fixed bias, so just plug and play. And enjoy! The Classic 30 is a great little amp.
            Not a 5150 Kramer, but a 5149 1/2 Shamer
            www.bigmouthbetty.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kommerzbassist
              , but how do I actually bias my map for new Poweramp tubes? Do Marshall DSLs have to be re-biasedon tube change?

thanks
              Yes marshall dsls need to be rebiased at tube change. I suggest you just bring it to tech to rebias it. If you want to learn how to do you need to get a book about not sure which one is the good one and you need to be very safe, touching stuff in the amp can kill you. But I would just bring to a tech just to be safe.
              Fender MIM Strat 59 trembucker bridge/Super II neck
              Edwards 56' Goldtop 2 x SD P90-1s
              Marshall JCM 900 MKIV 2100 slx
              Marshall JCM 900 1936 Celestion GT-75/Vintage 30 cab,
              Fender Frontman 15g
              Cry Baby
              Boss DS-2
              Boss CE-3
              Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

Working...
              X