Lead Boosts: ODs and EQs etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lead Boosts: ODs and EQs etc

Ok just completing a purchase of my mate's GH50L half stack and am constructing a new pedal board. Just thinking of what to use for a lead boost...

I have a GE-7 EQ that does the job well in front of the amp, can dial in good sounds. I've however wondered how an OD would sound instead. My friend is offering his Boss Blues Driver BD-2 that im gonna give a go and maybe buy. Is going for an ok price.

So i wanna know: What do you all think of the Blues Driver? How would it be different tonally from an EQ as a boost and is it a good pedal?

At some point I'm gonna compare the 2 and see what my ears prefer, but id like some input. In my band we play hard rock, I like a good smooth midrangy trebly brit sound.

Thanks
    Jeff

Re: Lead Boosts: ODs and EQs etc

The EQ will be better for a lead boost than the Blues Driver. The Blues Driver is nice, but will not boost your signal as much, plus it will change the tone because it's saturating your guitar signal before it even gets to the amp. The EQ is just lifting the level of your guitar signal and hitting the amp with it so your tone from the amp will remain mostly intact.

Comment

Cheers, atm have been experimenting with the roland cube (i know its not tube). I think i will stick with the GE-7. The BD-2 seems to 'mush' the tone a bit, and it isnt colouring the tone in a way i like. The GE-7 im finding allows a much purer smoother tone that cuts through nicely. Ill wait till ive wheeled the half stack down here and see how they measure up. Will probs stick with the GE-7 and save a lil cash

Comment

Saving cash isn't a bad thing.

I was looking for a good boost myself and after trying a few, wanted to save some cash so with the parts I had I ended up building one myself. Works great. I use it to slam the front end of my amp more. This way I can back off the gain on the amp for a cleaner tone there then slam the boost in to it for a nice crunch. What I like about it is the booster is based off the front end of a Marshall.

Comment

check out the Xotic RC Booster. IMO the best boost on the market. (aside from a Rangemaster)
          Guitars- Melancon, Paul Reed Smith
          Effects- Line 6, EMMA, Xotic, EB, Dunlop, Fulltone, Voodoo Labs, Analog Man, Boss
          Amp- Fender
          Originally posted by Skullkrusher
          After comparing the 17inch and 15inch models side by side........I decided to go with the 15inch. The 17inch was nice, but I think it was a bit too big. Anyway........

Comment

I'm telling you, if you want to save some cash, pick up a Digitech Bad Monkey for a front of amp boost and put the GE-7 in the loop for a volume/lead boost. Works great and is cheap. I tried one of those Laney's this week and I was very impressed with it. Tried the GH100L and it rocked, but the cleans/semi cleans were outstanding as well. Impressive amp for very reasonable price.

Comment

Put an MXR Micro Amp in the effects loop for a great solo boost. You could use the eq in the effects loop also, but the Micro Amp works great. I used to have a problem with "head room" on my amp until I tried this. Can't say enough good things about it.

Comment

Thanks alot all for your suggestions. Im gonna wheel that half stack down the road to my place in bit. I have the feeling ill stick with the GE-7, but anyway im gonna crank that amp and see what i can get out of it

Thanks all

Jeff

Comment

Mr Wolf, I would definitely recommend that you stick with your current course of action before thinking about any new pedals; get to know the new head well, and experiment like crazy. Definitely use the GE-7 through your FX loop for a solo boost; it served many guitar heroes well in the mighty 80s, so I don't think it will let you down. In time you may want to look into a totally transparent, volume-only boost, but then again, you may not.

You scored a very good head, congrats. Pls post a review of it when you've checked it out thoroughly!
                  Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                  My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Working...
                  X