Rectifier Tube died = ReTube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rectifier Tube died = ReTube

Yup... heavy bummer. But thanks to the fine folks at Mesa Engineering I have a handy little switch in the back to bypass the tube rectifier and switch to the solid state one! So I was able to continue practicing.

So I thought now is the perfect time to re-tube my entire Boogie (4+ years old). I'm pretty sure I want JJs all around, but if any of you guys have other opinions I'd love to hear them.

My Boogie is a 3-channel Dual Rectifier with the following tubes:

5 12AX7s for the preamp
    4 6L6s for the power
    2 5U4GBs for the rectifier

I think I'll stick with the 6L6s. By the way, where's the best place to buy JJ's? I hear good things about EuroTubes. Any of you Boston guys know of local dealers?

Thanks a ton!
    -Jay
    1978 Lefty Gibson Les Paul Custom (C5 bridge, Jazz neck) with Jimmy Page wiring
    1996 Lefty Fender Jazzmaster (w/ SD Antiquity IIs)
    2003 Lefty Taylor 414RCE (Rosewood Limited Edition with Expression System)
    Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier 3-channel through Marshall 1960A cabinet via THD HotPlate
    Effects: Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah, Fulltone DejaVibe, Maxon Rotary Phaser (PH-350), Boss DD6, Boss RC20 LoopStation, BBE Sonic Stomp

Re: Rectifier Tube died = ReTube

i ordered a set pf preamp tubes from eurotubes a while ago without any problems, and i haven't heard of anyone having any bad experiences with them.

how do you like it with the tube rectifier selected vs. the solid state? on my dual rec. the tube rectifier sounds AMAZING for single-note lead kind of things, but it seems to mud up a little for chording.
    gear:

'05 gibson les paul studio vintage mahogany (DiMarzio Super Distortion/ SD Jazz)
    '04 gibson SG standard (BurstBucker Pro's)
    mesa/boogie 2-channel dual rectifier (with EL34's)
    marshall 1960A 4x12
    and a few pedals

Comment

Originally posted by muttonchopsrule
      how do you like it with the tube rectifier selected vs. the solid state? on my dual rec. the tube rectifier sounds AMAZING for single-note lead kind of things, but it seems to mud up a little for chording.
      After playing with the solid state rectifier engaged for a week now I must say that I like the tube rectifier on this amp a lot better. Channel 2 (vintage mode) isn't bad but Channel 3 (modern) is way too buzzy and raspy. I can get usable tones out of it but it just doesn't seem to suit my style as well. I know playing with it for only a week is probably not a good enough run to give the most honest review but that's my first impression anyway. I'm a fan of sag & squish that only a tube rectifier can deliver.

I think I'm gonna hold off on the complete retube for now and just replace the rectifier & power tubes. I just scored a Hotplate off eBay so I need the money for that.
      1978 Lefty Gibson Les Paul Custom (C5 bridge, Jazz neck) with Jimmy Page wiring
      1996 Lefty Fender Jazzmaster (w/ SD Antiquity IIs)
      2003 Lefty Taylor 414RCE (Rosewood Limited Edition with Expression System)
      Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier 3-channel through Marshall 1960A cabinet via THD HotPlate
      Effects: Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah, Fulltone DejaVibe, Maxon Rotary Phaser (PH-350), Boss DD6, Boss RC20 LoopStation, BBE Sonic Stomp

Comment

Get two NOS rectifiers from Mike at www.kcanostubes.com

They will give you far longer life than 4 years. The only new production rectifier tube I like is the JJ 5AR4(GZ34).

Those NOS Joint Army-Navy (JAN) ones for 23 a piece will probably last you a very very long time.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

I am a big, big fan of Doug at Dougstubes.

Supplier of vacuum tubes for guitar, audio, and recording applications. We burn-in, test and match all tubes. Free Shipping on orders $105 and over.

Mike and Bob are also very good doobies.
          Jackson, Ibanez & Ovation Guitars
          Laney, Marshall & Peavey Amplification

((tube max dissipation wattage / amp plate voltage) x % of max dissipation wattage) x 1000 = bias current in mA

"There was never a horse that couldn't be rode, never a man that couldn't be throwed." - Marshall Matt Dillon - GUNSMOKE (1959)

Comment

Working...
          X