Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why Am I Building So Many Pedals?

Originally posted by tone4days
    spina-san ... how was the sound test of these pedals with the band?

t4d
    Ahhhhh yes....Sorry,I almost forgot...The "Guv'nor" pedal is great,cuts great,does a very convincing grinding Marshall tone and sits great in the overall context of the band....

The RAT...Great throaty tone,sustain for days and easy to get,ballsy tone....A bit dark overall and I need to lower 1 tone stack cap to remedy that....

The BLUE Magic pedal....Great tone....My favorite of the pedals I'm mentioning....Had a problem with this pedal(Stupid me)....I had put the volume knob onto the Drive pot and the drive knob onto the volume pot....All night I kept wondering why I couldn't get proper unity gain with my other pedals? As I maxed what I thought was the Drive pot,I was actually maxing the pedal volume....LOL.....I found out yesterday upon going back inside the pedal,as I thought I had a bad volume pot....

The Phase 90.....Sounds really great....Clear and warm and an ever so slight overall boost when engaged,but still a classic phase shifter overall....Not too overbearing also..

The MQB....May Queen Boost(Brian May)in a box...Great pedal if you want to cop Brian May's Queen tone,but I found it to be a bit boxey sounding and lacking some lowend balls....Add some flanging or chorus and it does nail the tone you hear in the "Keep Yourself Alive" tune from Queen....This pedal needs a bit of lowend tweaking,but it's not a pedal I'd get alot of mileage from in my band,unless we did some Queen stuff....

All of the pedals turned out great,they are quiet,have good tone,and I had the enjoyment of building them myself....

My favs right now are the Rat and the "Guv'nor".....The RAT needs 1 cap lowered and it'll also cut perfect....I played through my Fender Cyber Twin last night on a really nice 65 Twin Reverb preset I created....The pedals sounded great straight into this preset all night with my Tele..
    Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 09-28-2005, 10:37 AM.
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

glad to read it, friend ... sounds like a sweet sonic return on the investment of time and money

cheers
      t4d
      gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

john, what the hell is under the table?

the blue magic sound very interesting!!

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy
          john, what the hell is under the table?

the blue magic sound very interesting!!
          Hi Jeremy....Right now I'm just having alot of fun building some different pedals...The pedals aren't my ideas,but I have expanded on most of the pedals I've built..The Blue Magic pedal is a really nice overdrive pedal on the lines of a tube screamer but it's not compressed like a TS,plus it's clearer pedal and I'd guess more transparent with reaction to how hard you pick...It lacks the midrange rise of a TS,but it also has an extra pot that I added which either softens or tightens up the attack of the note and a midrange boost switch....This pedal turned out really nice and anyone that has built this pedal raves about it..Its a great blues pedal but yet you still can get quite a bit of gain out of it.

Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 09-28-2005, 02:04 PM.
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Working...
          X