Homebrew CPR ** Follow-up! **

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homebrew CPR ** Follow-up! **

Well, After much experimentation, I've been using the CPR pretty much every day, and I've come to the conclusion that I love it. It really thickens and widens out the tone tremendously!

Yesterday I began setting up to record guitar tracks for the demo versions some new songs that will be appearing on TO album #2. After an hour of tweaking, I ended up with a great tone! I mic'd the cab with a Shure SM57, (after experimenting with 4 other mics), since that mic just sounded the best for what I was doing. Once I got the mic position set, I taped off the spot with gaffa tape.

Today I spent 7 hrs tracking the guitars for the 1st song, which runs about 8:15 in length. In the middle of the song there is a very vintage Priest kind of haltime section for the solos, and I wanted a mild overdrive sound. The CPR totally smoothed out the sound for this part and it sounds so organic!!

For the rest of the song, there's a lot more distortion, and I used the CPR throughout. My signal path is now:
    Guitar > Dos Mos (as buffer) > CPR (mild amount of sustain, level at 12:00) > Big D > Rivera Knucklehead.

The other change I made to my rig was to use a different EQ setting and to crank the gain on the Rivera to 10. I'm now using the Big D to just add a bit of bite to the sound, instead of relying on it for the bulk of the distortion. The end result is a tone with more presence, better attack, and tons of harmonic complexity, while still retaining that nice, fat, tube warmth!

Wonderful pedal, highly recommend it.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Re: Homebrew CPR ** Follow-up! **

sounds good TO , i just found a HBE germacide to go with my HBE power screamer ! it will make a nice combo . i have to get a HBE cpr next !!!!!!!!! for some added fatness . rock on brother ben . later scott
    Wayne Rock-legend #143 Jazz/JB
    Suhr OD-50
    Suhr 4x12" Vintage 30's

"Bradshaw" Moded Crybaby, Majik Box Rocket Fuel

Comment

Scott, please let me know how you get along with the Germacide!
      That always looked like a cool pedal to me.

Comment

TO, I gotta finally ask. What is your avatar?
        Originally posted by Scott_F
        On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Originally posted by JammerMatt
          TO, I gotta finally ask. What is your avatar?
          Video game, Wanda And Colossus.

Comment

bump.

Comment

Sweet, my favorite local mom and pop music store owned by a buddy of mine is a dealer for HBE, i'll have to try those
              Originally posted by ratherdashing
              If inviting 200 drunken strangers to your parents house is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Comment

Working...
              X