Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 60Hz hum in SA-2

Hi!
    I have a 5-10 year-old Seymour Duncan SA-2 Perfect Timbre pickup/preamp in my guitar. When I purchased this guitar (used) a couple years ago, it worked *great*! After a year-long guitar-playing hiatus, I plugged my guitar into my amp, and it now has a fairly loud 60Hz hum. I can hear the guitar if I turn it up enough, but the hum is bad enough that it is unusable for performing. It hums with all amps and all cords I've tried, so I'm reasonably sure it's the SA-2 preamp in the guitar.

I'm an electrical engineer, so given time, I should be able to find and fix the problem, but before I start drawing out the schematics, I thought I would ask if Seymour Duncan (or anyone else) has schematics available for this pre-amp? Or if not, does anyone know which caps (I'm assuming it is a bad cap or two) are likely to have failed, causing my new hum?

(This is my first post, so if I'm violating any rules by asking for schematics,
    please let me know, and I'll rescind my question.)

Thanks for any help!
    Regards,
    Andy

Re: New 60Hz hum in SA-2

hi andy

welcome to the SDUG forum

no worries on your request ... it'll either be a 'yes' or a 'no', but no one will be angry for your asking

i'd recommend that you call customer service and explain wassup .. they are really good people and want to be helpful when they can ... will be quicker and more definitive (one way or the other) than waiting and hoping for someone here to be able to help

does the guitar hum in other amps? ... does the amp hum with other guitars in it? ... was this hum present only in the presence of a CRT computer monitor or other source of EM noise?

if none of these diagnostics yield fruit, i am suspecting an 'open' ground wire somewhere ...

good luck
    t4d
    Last edited by tone4days; 09-26-2005, 12:23 PM.
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Thanks for the "Welcome"!

A quick answer to your trouble-shooting questions:
      Guitar hums in the 3 amps I've tried.
      Guitar hums with the 4 different cables I've tried.
      A different guitar does not hum with any of the above-tried amps or cords.
      The 3 amps were in 2 homes and a church, with no CRTs, fluorescent lights, or other "typical" EMI/RFI sources nearby. Shielding on the cables all looks good, with no measurable leakage between shield and conductors. All resistors measure as marked, no caps measure as shorted or open, diodes all pass basic go/no-go test. I don't know the specs for the pickup itself, so I can't check it out. But there's no way it can be "creating" 60Hz hum, so I don't think that's the problem.

There are about 27 components total in this preamp, all Rs, Cs, and diodes except for a TI op-amp. Total cost to replace them all (includeing the op-amp) would be well under $10--but not all the caps are clearly marked, so I'd really like the schematics or a parts list.

I will give the Tech Support folks a call, and see what they can tell me.
      Thanks again!
      Andy

Comment

well, you wrung it out for sure ... nice work

here's hopin' tech support can fix you up .. let us know how it goes

good luck
        t4d
        gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Andy, your post regarding a hum in your
          SA-2 was from a long time ago!
          Can you recall though, if you came up with a
          fix for it?
          Thnx for anything you’d remember
          Ken
          Lansing-Mi

Comment

Originally posted by Pointy_Bootz View Post
            Andy, your post regarding a hum in your
            SA-2 was from a long time ago!
            Can you recall though, if you came up with a
            fix for it?
            Thnx for anything you’d remember
            Ken
            Lansing-Mi
            I think you might be pushing it for an answer.
            Last Activity 10-04-2005 04:43 AM
            you might do better to try and Email him. - The email address for painman is [email protected] -
            sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
            - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Working...
            X