Amp Gurus/Techs: Who makes this amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp Gurus/Techs: Who makes this amp?

Little different than the Gibson thread...

This be what I need...

TUBE. 20 or less watts. 10 is better since I figure it will be class A and loud.

Tone: Marshall 1987X/59SLP/800 series NOT...ABSOLUTELY NOT VOX-ish like most class A EL84 amps (cool tone, but I want Marshall). 1974X tones are OK too as they are a bit more Marshally than Vox-y. Just not that Matchless/Budda/Dr. Z type sound. I can't emphasize this point enough. It's gotta do MARSHALL..please

12" speaker combo or a small head that I can grab a 1x12 for.

Price: $800 or less (tough part I know)

I don't care about cleans or onboard reverb or FX loops. This is simply something I'd run into an attentuator for late night practice and crank out when playing with friends (my neighbors are not happy with the Rivera). I'd use a goose for leads/more gain if necc.

I'm thinkin a Fargen Bastage? (GAWD I just love saying that....you fargen icehole! this is fargen war!)

Scott...how about your Celtics? (I honestly haven't followed much on your amp threads...sorry )

Or send Trace at Voodoo a Blues Junior?
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Re: Amp Gurus/Techs: Who makes this amp?

Have you checked out the THD Univalve? I tried one and liked it, but it was just in a store...
    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
    Originally posted by Slash2987
    Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
    Originally posted by PVFan
    I'm a good sex man.
    Originally posted by Grumpy
    I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Yeeesh....apparently no-one does

TGB, I actually have played one of those. It didn't really sound Marshally at all to me...kind of a very generic hi gain tone (though I don't know what tube it had in it, and didnt think to look at the time).Also the built in attentuator sucks major tone just like my powerbrake.

BUMP..c'mom someone has to have an idea...

maybe the Bastage is the way to go...with a good goose...soundclips rock, and I've played the mini plex which rawks HARD.
      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I'd say definitely hold out and see what scott has up for offer! I wish I had the money to get an amp from him. But I'm already swimming in gear and am way too attached to get rid of any of it at the moment, even for such an incredible amp as his
        Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
        It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

Bumpity for Scott

Comment

Awww c'mon....somebody has to have some kind of idea...OK..bump price to a grand..that help?

Comment

Well, you could just step up and go with a large JTM45 head with EL34's in it. That'll give you a Marshall tone and can fit it around the 800 price point. Wattage won't matter much if you're using an attenuator anyway. Just make sure it's a good attenuator. Stevo had a WEber Mass at teh UGD jam and it worked very well.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Silvertone 1483 (bass) is one hell of a 20 watt monster. Will definately get you some JTM45/Bassman tones. More so than the more popular Silvertone 1484 Twin Twelve, which is a bit more compressed sounding. If you hit my link listen to Fat JoJo that is entirely 1483 the middle solo section is where the amp is wide open.. Traynor Bassmate 6V6 version or an EL84 ( very 1974 like) version with a couple upped cap values. I have a sample of that as well on my MP3 page titled Bassmate and the Thang. Either head is in the 200-300 range, the Traynors have better iron for sure but both scream with the best of em.

Here is the link to my MP3 page

Last edited by kevlar3000; 09-27-2005, 08:12 AM.
                ]
                FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
                http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F
                  Well, you could just step up and go with a large JTM45 head with EL34's in it. That'll give you a Marshall tone and can fit it around the 800 price point. Wattage won't matter much if you're using an attenuator anyway. Just make sure it's a good attenuator. Stevo had a WEber Mass at teh UGD jam and it worked very well.
                  Thanks for the advice Scott. I think the key will be a *good* attentuator if I went that way...I have a powerbrake and it's not so good. I tried a Hotplate on my exact Rivera amp at a store, and it wasn't so great either on the lower settings I'd need for home at night......which surprised me as the HotPlate gets good reviews...witha little bit of attentuation it was pretty nice, but then it was still too loud. Maybe I should just try a Mass on the Rivera...but don't know anyone locally who has them.

My line of thinking was if I grab a lower wattage combo, I'd be able to run it totally "hot" but would not have to attentuate it down as much as I would a 40+ watter, thus giving me better(truer) tone. And 20 watts is plenty loud for jamming out with friends.

Comment

Originally posted by kevlar3000
                    Silvertone 1483 (bass) is one hell of a 20 watt monster. Will definately get you some JTM45/Bassman tones. More so than the more popular Silvertone 1484 Twin Twelve, which is a bit more compressed sounding. If you hit my link listen to Fat JoJo that is entirely 1483 the middle solo section is where the amp is wide open.. Traynor Bassmate 6V6 version or an EL84 ( very 1974 like) version with a couple upped cap values. I have a sample of that as well on my MP3 page titled Bassmate and the Thang. Either head is in the 200-300 range, the Traynors have better iron for sure but both scream with the best of em.

Here is the link to my MP3 page

http://www.soundclick.com/pro/defaul...&content=music
                    I'll check these out tonite Kev as my speakers at work $uck. I'm really looking for a mid 70s NMV or JMP/800 MV type sound vs. the JTM, but with the right pedal..who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB
                      I'll check these out tonite Kev as my speakers at work $uck. I'm really looking for a mid 70s NMV or JMP/800 MV type sound vs. the JTM, but with the right pedal..who knows?
                      With the SS rectifier the Traynor is very close, even with the tube rectified 1483 it still has really nice jump to the note. Your not gonna get 800 tones from em, they are much more open sounding and have more roar than crunch. I was amazed at the balls these low watters have. I use a SD booster with them for leads and there is serious wow with em. I would imagine with a DOD you would be right there on the 800 side of the coin.
                      ]
                      FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
                      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

Working...
                      X