banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some Help needed with new Engl Amp. Quick,pls!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Help needed with new Engl Amp. Quick,pls!

so i went out amp-testing today to see what i could set up as my new goal to save for. Coming to the store where i had allready bought my Vetta II i instantly and seriously fell in love with an Engl Powerball fullstack with Engl Vintage(vintage 30s inside) cabs.
    The sound was godly and it just blew away any other amp i played today(several,marshalls,mesas, some peavys and so on). Just the fitting tone for everything i wanna play.
    So since i wanted it pretty badly and am a good customer i asked them for a trade in of my Vetta II stack including the fullboard-footswitch(no need for it with the engl). Since i described it as in near mint condition(i may use it on stage a lot but i take good care of it and you don't see it's stage experience ) and i bought it from them about a year ago they agreed but they wanted to see the condition for themselves before making the deal final. So if i take my amp there tomorrow and they agree the powerball-fullstack would be mine(probably will buy the custom z5 footswitch with it and a podxt-live later on).
    Now i'm asking myself if you guys think this deal is a good one and if you think that the engl really is as good as i believe it to be(maybe the crush of love ). So please help me quick so i can decide as soon as possible.
    - 03 B.C. Rich Custom Shop Stealth EMG 81(n)/89(m)/60(n)
    - 04 Malmsteen Sig. Strat DMZ HS-3(b)/YJM(m)/YJM(n)
    - 05 Line 6 Variax 700
    - 08 Schecter C-7 Hellraiser Blackout N/B
    - 04 B.C. Rich NJ beast(Speedloader) SD Dimebucker(b)/Full Shred(n)
    - 99 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock SD Dimebucker(b)/Full Shred(n)
    - Clarity(by Johnson) Ovation Copy
    - Takamine acoustic(not sure abut year and model)
    -Engl Sovereign 100 Vintage 1x12 Combo + Engl Pro 4x12 (V30s)

Re: Some Help needed with new Engl Amp. Quick,pls!

All I've heard is good things about the Powerball. They rave about them over at the ESP Guitars message board. I have heard several clips and they sound great.
    Good luck with the trade.
    Looking to Purchase:
    Axe-FX Ultra
    ART SLA2
    Mesa Boogie 2X12
    PRS Tremonti
    PRS Singlecut, SC245 or SC250
    Edwards Les Paul Custom
    Gibson Explorer
    Fender Stratocaster
    Fender Telecaster

Comment

Nice amp for sure, but YOWZA a full stack? Playing any stadiums in the near future?
      After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by FretFire
        Nice amp for sure, but YOWZA a full stack? Playing any stadiums in the near future?
        no stadiums but i allready had the Vetta II fullstack,so why keep the line 6 cabs if i can have the engl-pros?
        - 05 Line 6 Variax 700

Comment

Originally posted by Loserchief
          no stadiums but i allready had the Vetta II fullstack,so why keep the line 6 cabs if i can have the engl-pros?
          Who said keep 'em? If they're willing to trade them in, you can get more store credit or more gear. I can pretty much guarantee that the ENGL will be louder than the Line 6, and IMO a full stack will be way past overkill. I'd get a halfstack at best and maybe put the rest of the credit towards a new axe or something to go with it, but I'm a gear slut .
          After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

maybe i'm a bit of an oldtime on this,but i quite like a fullstack to bypass crappy PA(not every club has good systems and i like my guitar sound clear and not drowned in mud). A fullstack can keep up with smaller club pa(black metal anyway isn't mainstream enough for the bigger clubs if you aren't in sweden or finland),but try to do that with a half stack or combo. Also i'm running out of room here and don't really have anymore space for something bigger than effect-pedals or something like that(no idea where i could put another axe or an amp)
            And you're definietly right: the 100w engl is louder than the 300W Vetta II but not so much more.
            - 05 Line 6 Variax 700

Comment

So i guess i'm a tube-snob now. Took my Vetta II Stack to the shop, played the powerball again,had the same blast i had yesterday and made the deal. bought the z5 custom footswitch with it and now i'm in tone-heaven. My Vetta II was a good buddy and full of tricks but the Powerball just sounds so much better! I guess there's nothing like a cranked up High-gain tube sound. I love it, great cleans, killer sound while distorted and everything is so smooth and full of mojo. Pretty versetaille and it looks cool. I should dance around it for some time to show my love
              - 05 Line 6 Variax 700

Comment

I think you made the right choice my friend. I would take a good tube amp like that over a line 6 anyday.
                Speak through your fingers

Comment

Nice trade! Did you try any other cabinets with it? Most people (including myself) actually prefer the V60 speakers in the standard cabs over the V30s, so you might wanna try that out. The worst thing that could happen is that you end up liking the tone more and you get more store credit
                  Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
                  Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
                  Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
                  Marshall 2x12 Vintage
                  Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Comment

allready tryed the V60 vabs but somehow they just didn't have the right tone for me. Can't really tell what it is but it sounds better to my ears.
                    - 05 Line 6 Variax 700

Comment

Working...
                    X