X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• benjaturner
    replied
    Re: Marshall imitation amps.

I think the Peavey's can more than handle the 'marshall' type sound as well. I have the 5150's, that'll out gain most any amp I am likely to play. The JSX, XXX combo's also have a great gain channel (or two), and have great clean channels as well.
    Personally, I love these amps, but they're too modern for him. Plus, they're out of his price range. Amps seem to hold their value much better in the U.K. than the U.S. For good quality valve amps I'm pretty sure that on average we pay more for second-hand amps than you Americano's do for brand new stuff, reletively speaking of course. Definately for the middle priced stuff anyway.

They also have the Valve king combo that just came out, that has a class A-A/B control, all tube, and under $400.
    I've heard about these, but I haven't had a play with one yet. Are they any good? What are they like? I'm guessing another Fender 'tribute'. Peavey have got that stuff made.

Leave a comment:

• Gdntoneguitars
    replied

With the JSX, and I believe the XXX as well, you can switch the tubes from EL34 to 6L6, to the players preferred style. I like the 6L6's myself, and thought the EL34's to be a little too harsh, but those amps both offer tons of versatility. Perhaps a little pricey for a 'first amp', but a little saving and planning, and I am sure a used head or even a new combo can be had within reason.

Leave a comment:

• benjaturner
    replied

I'm thinking about off-loading my Marshall JTM60 and he's interested in it. But I can't sell it to him because I like him, lol. I've just spent a bit of money on it, getting it all fixed up proper, so I'm going to keep it for 6 months and if it behaves I'll sell it. But I want to be sure that it's not gonna give the next guy as much hassle as it's given me first.

Leave a comment:

• benjaturner
    replied

Would he be looking for the Marshall "EL34 or EL84" tube sounds?
    EL34, definately.

From the bands I asked him about, most of the Marshall guys were SLP users with a few JCM800's. He's very much a classic rock kinda guy.

Leave a comment:

• Gdntoneguitars
    replied

I think the Peavey's can more than handle the 'marshall' type sound as well. I have the 5150's, that'll out gain most any amp I am likely to play. The JSX, XXX combo's also have a great gain channel (or two), and have great clean channels as well. They also have the Valve king combo that just came out, that has a class A-A/B control, all tube, and under $400. Would he be looking for the Marshall "EL34 or EL84" tube sounds?

Leave a comment:

• benjaturner
    replied

Traynor, from Canada, right?

Leave a comment:

• benjaturner
    replied

Thanks Kevlar,
    I'm not familiar with Traynor stuff at all. Although I was given an old traynor bass amp which I really like, it was given to me by a guy who said is wife was sick of seeing it in their living room, haha.

Apart from that we don't really get/see much Traynor stuff here in the U.K. at all. Does anybody know where Traynor are from?

Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff_H
    replied

The Traynor Blue 50 is the first thing that comes to mind for me as well.

Leave a comment:

• kevlar3000
    replied

The new Traynor Blue 50 is very Marshall like on the lead channel. At 500.00 600.00 street it is among the best deals out there. Historically Traynors are built like tanks, I am waiting for a head version of this combo. If it comes out I may just pick one up.

Leave a comment:

• benjaturner
    started a topic Marshall imitation amps.

Marshall imitation amps.

One of my students was asking me today about cheaper Marshall type amps. He's buying his first 'real' amp and is tied between a Fender type (I told him if he goes with the fender thing he's got a tie between the Fender Devilles and the Peavey Classic range) and a Marshall type. I didn't know what to tell him about the Marshall type sounds from a cheaper valve combo.

So this got me thinking, is there a company that is to Marshall what Peavey is to Fender? I advised him against cheaper Marshall valve amps because, in my experience, they have to many reliability issues to be justifiable.

Any ideas what I should be telling him?

I should mention also, he's dead set on valves/tubes.

Thanks for any input,
    -Benja
Working...
X