Marshall imitation amps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall imitation amps.

One of my students was asking me today about cheaper Marshall type amps. He's buying his first 'real' amp and is tied between a Fender type (I told him if he goes with the fender thing he's got a tie between the Fender Devilles and the Peavey Classic range) and a Marshall type. I didn't know what to tell him about the Marshall type sounds from a cheaper valve combo.

So this got me thinking, is there a company that is to Marshall what Peavey is to Fender? I advised him against cheaper Marshall valve amps because, in my experience, they have to many reliability issues to be justifiable.

Any ideas what I should be telling him?

I should mention also, he's dead set on valves/tubes.

Thanks for any input,
    -Benja
    Guitars:
    Epi LP (SH-11b + SH-55n)
    Danelectro U2 '56 Reissue
    Yamaha APX5LA
    Pedals:
    MXR Super Comp, HBE Power Screamer, Toadworks Death Rattle, Carl Martin Crunch Drive, Boss CE-2, Marshall Ed The Compressor, Marshall Drivemaster, Arion EQ, Bespeco Volume Pedal
    Amps:
    Fender Prosonic combo
    Marshall JTM60 combo

Re: Marshall imitation amps.

The new Traynor Blue 50 is very Marshall like on the lead channel. At 500.00 600.00 street it is among the best deals out there. Historically Traynors are built like tanks, I am waiting for a head version of this combo. If it comes out I may just pick one up.
    ]
    FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

The Traynor Blue 50 is the first thing that comes to mind for me as well.
      My Sound Clips

Comment

Thanks Kevlar,
        I'm not familiar with Traynor stuff at all. Although I was given an old traynor bass amp which I really like, it was given to me by a guy who said is wife was sick of seeing it in their living room, haha.

Apart from that we don't really get/see much Traynor stuff here in the U.K. at all. Does anybody know where Traynor are from?

Thanks again.
        Guitars:
        Epi LP (SH-11b + SH-55n)
        Yamaha APX5LA
        Pedals:
        MXR Super Comp, HBE Power Screamer, Toadworks Death Rattle, Carl Martin Crunch Drive, Boss CE-2, Marshall Ed The Compressor, Marshall Drivemaster, Arion EQ, Bespeco Volume Pedal
        Amps:
        Fender Prosonic combo
        Marshall JTM60 combo

Comment

Traynor, from Canada, right?
          Guitars:
          Epi LP (SH-11b + SH-55n)
          Yamaha APX5LA
          Pedals:
          Amps:
          Fender Prosonic combo
          Marshall JTM60 combo

Comment

I think the Peavey's can more than handle the 'marshall' type sound as well. I have the 5150's, that'll out gain most any amp I am likely to play. The JSX, XXX combo's also have a great gain channel (or two), and have great clean channels as well. They also have the Valve king combo that just came out, that has a class A-A/B control, all tube, and under $400. Would he be looking for the Marshall "EL34 or EL84" tube sounds?
            Some of my current gear:

Wolfgang standard, Deluxe Strat HSS
            SG Angus
            Epi Les Paul w/ Dimarzio Air nort/Tone zone
            Ibanez Blazer ('80) P.Gates/'59
            Mesa Stiletto Trident
            Various Pedals @ any given time

Comment

Would he be looking for the Marshall "EL34 or EL84" tube sounds?
              EL34, definately.

From the bands I asked him about, most of the Marshall guys were SLP users with a few JCM800's. He's very much a classic rock kinda guy.
              Guitars:
              Epi LP (SH-11b + SH-55n)
              Yamaha APX5LA
              Pedals:
              Amps:
              Fender Prosonic combo
              Marshall JTM60 combo

Comment

I'm thinking about off-loading my Marshall JTM60 and he's interested in it. But I can't sell it to him because I like him, lol. I've just spent a bit of money on it, getting it all fixed up proper, so I'm going to keep it for 6 months and if it behaves I'll sell it. But I want to be sure that it's not gonna give the next guy as much hassle as it's given me first.
                Guitars:
                Epi LP (SH-11b + SH-55n)
                Yamaha APX5LA
                Pedals:
                Amps:
                Fender Prosonic combo
                Marshall JTM60 combo

Comment

With the JSX, and I believe the XXX as well, you can switch the tubes from EL34 to 6L6, to the players preferred style. I like the 6L6's myself, and thought the EL34's to be a little too harsh, but those amps both offer tons of versatility. Perhaps a little pricey for a 'first amp', but a little saving and planning, and I am sure a used head or even a new combo can be had within reason.
                  Some of my current gear:

SG Angus
                  Mesa Stiletto Trident

Comment

I think the Peavey's can more than handle the 'marshall' type sound as well. I have the 5150's, that'll out gain most any amp I am likely to play. The JSX, XXX combo's also have a great gain channel (or two), and have great clean channels as well.
                    Personally, I love these amps, but they're too modern for him. Plus, they're out of his price range. Amps seem to hold their value much better in the U.K. than the U.S. For good quality valve amps I'm pretty sure that on average we pay more for second-hand amps than you Americano's do for brand new stuff, reletively speaking of course. Definately for the middle priced stuff anyway.

They also have the Valve king combo that just came out, that has a class A-A/B control, all tube, and under $400.
                    I've heard about these, but I haven't had a play with one yet. Are they any good? What are they like? I'm guessing another Fender 'tribute'. Peavey have got that stuff made.
                    Guitars:
                    Epi LP (SH-11b + SH-55n)
                    Yamaha APX5LA
                    Pedals:
                    Amps:
                    Fender Prosonic combo
                    Marshall JTM60 combo

Comment

I've heard they're between their 'classic' series, and the high gain JSX/XXX line. If go into Peavey's forums, in the guitar amps section, search for VALVE KING, and probably the most recent post (possibly even yesterday if I remember correctly) has a great review (meaning true to sound, and accurate). It's reviewed by a Peavey technician, talks about what he likes, and what he doesn't like.
                      Some of my current gear:

SG Angus
                      Mesa Stiletto Trident

Comment

I'm not really sure about 'cheaper' amps...but if money WASN'T an issue, I'd say get a Mesa Stiletto duece.
                        Constantly wanting new gear...

Comment

I've heard they're between their 'classic' series, and the high gain JSX/XXX line. If go into Peavey's forums, in the guitar amps section, search for VALVE KING, and probably the most recent post (possibly even yesterday if I remember correctly) has a great review (meaning true to sound, and accurate). It's reviewed by a Peavey technician, talks about what he likes, and what he doesn't like.
                          Cool, thanks for the tip. Will definately check that out.
                          Guitars:
                          Epi LP (SH-11b + SH-55n)
                          Yamaha APX5LA
                          Pedals:
                          Amps:
                          Fender Prosonic combo
                          Marshall JTM60 combo

Comment

I'm not really sure about 'cheaper' amps...but if money WASN'T an issue, I'd say get a Mesa Stiletto duece.
                            I'll pass that on to him, lol. With matching 2x4x12's, right?

Maybe if he sold his Dad's car, he might have enough.
                            Guitars:
                            Epi LP (SH-11b + SH-55n)
                            Yamaha APX5LA
                            Pedals:
                            Amps:
                            Fender Prosonic combo
                            Marshall JTM60 combo

Comment

The Classic series from Peavey will come much closer to a SLP or 800 series tone than anything else mentioned from Peavey...

I haven't played the Traynor, but I'm sure if Jeff and kev say it's "marshall", it is...don't ever see e'm aroound here though...

Also if he's willing to spend as much cash as a 5150/6505, XXX or JSX cost, tell him to look into a Rivera Clubster or Pubster 45....El34s...very classic Marshall tone...and good fender sounds too....suits all his needs...end of story
                              I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Working...
                              X