• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JeffB
    replied
    Re: Marshall imitation amps.

Originally posted by Mephis
    With a high-gain pedal, sure.
    I'm starting to think something is wrong with your classic dude...cos I've played the 30/50 and the Delta Blues 1x15 and with the boost on they all had as much gain as any Plexi (more actually) or 800 (not including the channel switchers), Ive played/owned. Plexis are not high gain amps by any means. Metal faces and 800s have more than a plexi.

I played the DB with a cheapass Fernandes Strat ( low output single coil) with the boost on and cranked up with the tubes burnin it soaked those pups.

Tone is a different story...they def dont sound like a Marshall.
    Last edited by JeffB; 09-28-2005, 09:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• twoheadedboy
    replied

I'm pretty sure the Traynor YBA-1 Amp is the best deal in amps right now. I know guys who have found them for $150 or less, and they are basically the same thing as an early silverface fender bassman in sound and features. they are PTP wired and moddable as all get out. they also take pedals extremely well. definitely my favorite cheap amp.

Leave a comment:

• CapoFirstFret
    replied

local shop has one of the laney pro tubes for sale..had it for a while. I thought about getting it before I got the 1971 Marshall Super Bass 100w I used to have when I was going through my half stack phase

Leave a comment:

• Mephis
    replied

Originally posted by JeffB
    The Classic series from Peavey will come much closer to a SLP or 800 series tone than anything else mentioned from Peavey...

With a high-gain pedal, sure.

I'd suggest a Mig-50, myself.
    Possibly a laney AOR pro-tube.

Both should be affordable and fit the bill.

Leave a comment:

• LambofGod
    Guest replied

Originally posted by Nite_Maresz_25
    I'm not really sure about 'cheaper' amps...but if money WASN'T an issue, I'd say get a Mesa Stiletto duece.

dude dont think that the stileto is awesome just because is expensive i tried one at my local store and i never got an awesome tone , then i tried a single rectifier and omg this thing ate the stileto !!!

Leave a comment:

• JeffB
    replied

Originally posted by greendy123
    Aren't laney amps pretty close to the marshall sound with el-34's?
    The older ones are pretty good...I had one in the late 80s.. cant remember the model # but it was their version of an 800 MV.

They are very british sounding....but I wouldn't say they are close to a Marshall. They are crunchy and have a little bit of fuzz in the top end and a little greyer or darker tone. Also a little flubby in the bass. It's a cool sound, but it doesn't sound like a Marshall to me.

EDIT: I also had the 30 watt combo w/ 6v6s....def not marshall like...

Leave a comment:

• greendy123
    replied

Aren't laney amps pretty close to the marshall sound with el-34's?

Leave a comment:

• aleclee
    replied

Mig 50. For more gain, make it a Yamaha T50.

Both are very reasonably priced and well-built.

Leave a comment:

• haiz69
    replied

The new Valve King would probably do him just fine. The 1X12 is 350 new. It will do the marhsall thing very well, and more if it is ever needed. The clean is good, not great. The Class A to AB "tweak" switch is very very nice. You can dial out some of the fizz at higher gain, but it sounds like it wont be a problem. It is most definitely my suggestion.

Leave a comment:

• kevlar3000
    replied

Originally posted by benjaturner
    Thanks Kevlar,
    I'm not familiar with Traynor stuff at all. Although I was given an old traynor bass amp which I really like, it was given to me by a guy who said is wife was sick of seeing it in their living room, haha.

Apart from that we don't really get/see much Traynor stuff here in the U.K. at all. Does anybody know where Traynor are from?

Thanks again.

What old Traynor Bass amp do you have? I have 4 between 68 and 72. Those with very little messing are extremely Plexi like.

They are indeed Canadian.

Leave a comment:

• JeffB
    replied

The Classic series from Peavey will come much closer to a SLP or 800 series tone than anything else mentioned from Peavey...

I haven't played the Traynor, but I'm sure if Jeff and kev say it's "marshall", it is...don't ever see e'm aroound here though...

Also if he's willing to spend as much cash as a 5150/6505, XXX or JSX cost, tell him to look into a Rivera Clubster or Pubster 45....El34s...very classic Marshall tone...and good fender sounds too....suits all his needs...end of story

Leave a comment:

• benjaturner
    replied

I'm not really sure about 'cheaper' amps...but if money WASN'T an issue, I'd say get a Mesa Stiletto duece.
    I'll pass that on to him, lol. With matching 2x4x12's, right?

Maybe if he sold his Dad's car, he might have enough.

Leave a comment:

• benjaturner
    replied

I've heard they're between their 'classic' series, and the high gain JSX/XXX line. If go into Peavey's forums, in the guitar amps section, search for VALVE KING, and probably the most recent post (possibly even yesterday if I remember correctly) has a great review (meaning true to sound, and accurate). It's reviewed by a Peavey technician, talks about what he likes, and what he doesn't like.
    Cool, thanks for the tip. Will definately check that out.

Leave a comment:

• Nite_Maresz_25
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Gdntoneguitars
    replied

I've heard they're between their 'classic' series, and the high gain JSX/XXX line. If go into Peavey's forums, in the guitar amps section, search for VALVE KING, and probably the most recent post (possibly even yesterday if I remember correctly) has a great review (meaning true to sound, and accurate). It's reviewed by a Peavey technician, talks about what he likes, and what he doesn't like.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X