X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Overseas tour - Not taking my amp , but using a JC120.. Questions

Originally posted by Grandor
    I believe that the JC120 is all tube.

The place we're hiring from, we have already paid for the gear. Unfortunately this is also the only hire company on the island.

We are the only band playing (headliner, no support).

I think I'll just try and take as many peds as possible and see what works...

Make sure to take some stupidly high gain pedal and a noise supressor.
    You'll probably be OK as long as you do, just leave yourself some options incase something doesn't work out.

Redundancy FTW!
    Carvin custom strat (P-Rails/hotrails/single - Tuned Eb) -> Pod XT - - 6505+ Halfstack

Comment

Im pretty sure the JC120 is a SS amp

Comment

A JC120 does one thing...(clinical clean with chours) very well. Other than that you are SOL. Sorry.

Comment

hmm. Looks like im gonna have to hit up some of the local churches and see if they have an amp avaliable.

Comment

Heck...If anything, this will be a learning/adapt and over come experience. What ever happens, don't let 'em see you sweat!

Just remember, we are all tone hounds here. The folks in the audience might not know the difference or even care. Just play your best whatever happens and you'll do OK.

Good luck. Seems like you have a tremendous opportunity here.

Comment

My honest opinion? Horrible hunk of crap.....the very worst of the 80's.

I even hate the cleans.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                My honest opinion? Horrible hunk of crap.....the very worst of the 80's.

I even hate the cleans.
                You hate the "She Sells Sanctuary" tone?
                *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
                Originally posted by Slash2987
                Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
                Originally posted by PVFan
                I'm a good sex man.
                Originally posted by Grumpy
                I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Somewhere on the web, Adam Levy (guitarist with Norah Jones) has posted a tip about how to get a decent sound out of the JC120 -- perhaps on his website. Unfortunately, I don't recall the specifics for sure, but I think it involved rolling the treble and bass to min and upping the mid control, if that makes any sense. Check this link at the Telecaster page (TDPRI) or run a Google search for Adam Levy and JC120.

Good luck!

Comment

I've had to use a JC120 a few times on tour. I don't know why, but a LOT of places like to buy these as the house amp, even a punk rock club in north Hollywood!

I would suggest getting a good distortion pedal that you like the sound of, because this amp doesn't overdrive well. I've tried a sansamp GT2 with it and it was decent, but I like heavy sounds. Maybe even a tonebone of some sort would work well too, but I've never had a chance to use my hot british with a JC120. Good luck!
                    "After I die I shall return to earth as the doorkeeper of a bordello and I won't let a one of you in." -Arturo Toscanini

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys.

I'm gonna try the bass-down, mids-to taste, treble-down approach when I arrive.
                      I'm gonna try and get my hands on as many warm distortion pedals as I can, I'll let you guys know how I go.
                      I leave on Sunday the 2nd and am back on Sunday the 9th.
                      We're going to Vanuatu and playing across the road from their parliament house for 4 nights in a row and we're also doing 3 or 4 school-based daytime gigs.

Comment

Ok guys-
                        I've made a few calls and I've been able to get the following pedals for the trip:

Vox 847 Wah Pedal (SpinaMods)
                        Boss DD-5 Digital Delay
                        Ibanez CF-7 Chorus/Flange
                        Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive (SpinaMods)
                        Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive (80's model)
                        Ibanez TS7 Distortion
                        MI Audio 'Tube Zone' Distortion
                        Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Comment

Originally posted by SlyFoxx
                          Heck...If anything, this will be a learning/adapt and over come experience. What ever happens, don't let 'em see you sweat!

Just remember, we are all tone hounds here. The folks in the audience might not know the difference or even care. Just play your best whatever happens and you'll do OK.

Good luck. Seems like you have a tremendous opportunity here.
                          Best post in the whole thread, IMO. You know it, but they probably won't. Those that do will probably leave saying, "How did that guy get such a great tone out of that JC120? He's my new hero"!

Take what you've got and go kick some ass, Grandor.
                          Mr. Way Too Proud of Texas Guy

Nothing nothing nothing, nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by HamerPlyr
                            Best post in the whole thread, IMO. You know it, but they probably won't. Those that do will probably leave saying, "How did that guy get such a great tone out of that JC120? He's my new hero"!

Take what you've got and go kick some ass, Grandor.
                            Thanks bruz.

Will do. I'll try and get some good pics while I'm over there and will report back when I've recovered.

Comment

I LIKE JC 120s. They're not the most overdriviest amp in the world, but they're clean and powerful and you can get all kinds of good tones with them. They also have nice reverb. I've seen lots of bands who use them, and they always seem to cut through. Would I prefer a nice Vibrolux or Marshall Jubilee (my favorites)? Yup. Would I be worried about playing a tour with a JC120? No.

Think of them as a cousin to a Fender Twin. Loud and versatile, so long as you don't expect them to get dirty on their own. A forgiving guitar and a couple of pedals helps. They sound OK with a clean Strat or Tele for a song or two and then begin to grate.
                              Last edited by Maggot; 10-04-2005, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X