banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who uses delay here? And a few more questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who uses delay here? And a few more questions.

Hi guys, for some impulsive reason i picked up a boss dd-6 delay pedal. Its pretty, might take osme itme ot figure out settings i like. How about you guys? who uses a delay pedal? If you happent o use the dd-6 digital delay pedal what settings do you use and for what effects? Right now seeing as i just got home ive only figured out that it sounds pretty good doubling your guitars. Oh one mre thing does this happen to anyone else, when the regeneration is at max it really feeds back BADLY!

umm ps ps....the guy at the store told me you can really use any 9v adaptor it doesnt have to be a boss spa-120 adaptor is this true? or am i damaging my pedals by doing this?
    Proud Master of Strats.....

Re: Who uses delay here? And a few more questions.

There are definately a number of ways to use delay, here's what comes to my mind:
    1.Slapback delay (very short delay, usually only one repeat, think rockabillly)
    2.Reverb (Short delay, many repeats)
    3.Rhythmic (Set the time to your tempo, repeats to your liking. Think The Edge, or "Run Like Hell". You can use one repeat on the dotted eighth and play eigth notes to have a cascading sixteenth run also)
    4.Ambient (Longer time, usually lower mix to add ambience to your lead lines)
    5.Loop (Long time, full mix, 100% regeneration)

The feedback and ocillating you speak of is actually desirable in noise/space rock...
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

As long as it's a 9Volt AC/DC apater it will work
      Rock On - Kac
      ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
      2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
      Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

Originally posted by Kac
        As long as it's a 9Volt AC/DC apater it will work
        Rock On - Kac
        And is 'tip-negative'.

Comment

Then there's the good old EVH setting: delay around 250ms, feedback around 30-40%, mix to taste.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
          My Music

Comment

Originally posted by aleclee
            Then there's the good old EVH setting: delay around 250ms, feedback around 30-40%, mix to taste.
            That's how I set up my DD-2. I love that thing.

As for the adaptor question....you can use any REGULATED 9v adaptor that is negative tip. It has to be regulated, that is very important. A non-regulated adaptor will put out as much as 12-14 volts. Too much voltage and next thing you know, your pedal stops working and you're .

However, you will get the best performance out of the PSA-120T because 1) it is regulated and 2) it puts out 9.6 volts. That .6 volt difference makes up for that same amount being shunted to ground by the circuits reverse polarity protection diode. The circuit will get a constant 9 volts, which it wants. Digital stuff needs to have regulated power.

I know this probably makes no sense to you, but it's important stuff to know to get the best performance out of your gear.
            Last edited by ErikH; 09-29-2005, 09:58 AM.

Comment

yeah, you cant have 100% feedback on for too long, but you can hear it coming along, and you gotta get to it before that critical moment, or else........
              Yeah!

Comment

hmm just to make sur eid ont ewant to fry my pedals, here is the specs on the back of my generic no anme ac adaptor:

Direct Plug-In
                Class 2 Transformer
                Part No. 9V Adapt
                Input: 120v 60Hz 6VA
                Output: DC 9V 300mA

Is everything ok here? IM worried i might fry my precious pedals!

Comment

If I'm NOT MISTAKEN I thought Boss pedals were 9volt, 200mA... I'm not too certain whether sending 300mA of current into a pedal will severely hurt it if it only requires a 200mA current, I havent gotten that far in electrical engineering yet.

I know the power on my dunlop supply matches my NS-2, and I think it was 9V, 200mA.
                  7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

The current rating on a power supply simply refers to it's capacity. Just because it's capable of delivering 300mA @ 9.x volts doesn't mean that you'll have 300mA flowing all the time. Ohm's Law will determine that.
                    Originally posted by LesStrat
                    make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                    My Music

Comment

Originally posted by aleclee
                      The current rating on a power supply simply refers to it's capacity. Just because it's capable of delivering 300mA @ 9.x volts doesn't mean that you'll have 300mA flowing all the time. Ohm's Law will determine that.
                      And Kirchoff... I just had a test on that too
                      7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

Alec is right. The milliamps rating is just what the pedal can handle total. You'd have to chain a lot of pedals together on that one supply to reach 200, let alone 300mA.

A good way to check if yours is regulated is to plug it in to the wall, and then take a multimeter and put the positive lead on the outside sleeve and the negative lead in to the hole. If it reads 9 volts, it's most likely regulated. If it's higher or lower, it's not.

Comment

I use a delay, though it's just through the XTL now...sold my peds.

I generally like a very dry sound, but for leads or just when I want to sound BIGGER or not happy with the tone for whatever reason...I'll use a delay...

basically two kinds

1) A one or two short repeat mixed medium high that just make for a fuller tone..kinda like this HERE or all over these CLIPS

2) slightly higher mix 2-4 repeat that is a little longer...I like to use this for melodic leads...ala GM or Robbos stuff on Live and Dangeorus is an even better example...

on occasion I'll go for a pretty high mix with a slightly longer delay time...I LOVE playing something like Dazed and Confused with that kind of delay and pretty high gain...sounds pretty monstrous...
                          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

umm so are the specs ok? all these numbers confuse me! IM really bad with this voltage stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by strat_master
                              umm so are the specs ok? all these numbers confuse me! IM really bad with this voltage stuff.
                              As long as it is negative tip it should be OK. If you're not comfortable using it, get the PSA-120T. It's worth it.

Comment

Working...
                              X