Fender Tremolux head (Blackface)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Tremolux head (Blackface)

Somebody tell me about these amps...Lew, Gary, John...where are you guys?
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Re: Fender Tremolux head (Blackface)

I have a very close friend who has a Blonde Tremolux dated to about '61. It is a wonderful Amp. I don't know a lot about the circuit differences, but the guy who serviced it said it is basically a Bassman circuit with a few resistors that are different and a few caps that are different. The primary difference is the tremelo.

A little side note is Clapton used this Amp from time to time. I have seen photos of him playing thru one on the Goodbye Tour with Cream! THis is a great sounding Amp. With single coils it sounds smooth and with decent volume it breaks up beautifully. With HB PUPS it can get real Raw sounding. It is powered with 2 6L6 tubes (40 watts), adn I am uncertain of the preamp configuration. IF they are being offered with the matching bottom they run about 2 to 2500 depending on condition.
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I've heard they sound pretty good, but never played one ... they don't seem so common.
      My amp tech was always looking for one, but he wanted the elusive blonde 6BQ5 version.

one guy who used to play one is Sid Gillis on Letterman's show

you can get a few specs here:
      fender field guide
      "music heals"
      facebook

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
        Somebody tell me about these amps...Lew, Gary, John...where are you guys?
        I have all of the BF Fender schematics.If you give me the model and let me know specifics about what you need to know,I can look and or send you the schematic....If I can get my stupid scanner to work? I can take a digital snap shot of it also though..
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
          I've heard they sound pretty good, but never played one ... they don't seem so common.
          My amp tech was always looking for one, but he wanted the elusive blonde 6BQ5 version.

one guy who used to play one is Sid Gillis on Letterman's show

you can get a few specs here:
          fender field guide
          Hello buddy.....Seems I've always heard more about the pre-BF versions of this amp? Most of the blonde era Fender stuff was great though!

I enjoyed the photo of you and Jump together....If I behave the rest of this year,can I get you to bring me some more guitars(down the chimney)for Christmas? LOL.....
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Thanks guys!

I was looking for a blond Fender amp but a Vintage dealer I know here in town has a VERY clean '65 model with the matching , JBL loaded 2x10 cab...he dropped me an e-mail lastnight about it and Im gonna try to gett some time to go take a look (and a listen).

John, as for the model Im not sure of the number all I know is that it is a 1965 Temolux 2x10 piggyback

Thanks for the help guys.
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Thanks guys!

I was looking for a blond Fender amp but a Vintage dealer I know here in town has a VERY clean '65 model with the matching , JBL loaded 2x10 cab...he dropped me an e-mail lastnight about it and Im gonna try to gett some time to go take a look (and a listen).

John, as for the model Im not sure of the number all I know is that it is a 1965 Temolux 2x10 piggyback

Thanks for the help guys.
              Any specifics you need to know as far as the circuit though? Comparing it to another BF model?

Comment

What im looking for is something with Fender cleans but with a good crunch tone as well...How does it compart to say a BF Deluxe?

Comment

What im looking for is something with Fender cleans but with a good crunch tone as well...How does it compart to say a BF Deluxe?

The Deluxe will not have any where near the headroom this amp does. I play thru a 61 Tremolux regularly, and this amp at low volumes is very clean, where a DR is very hard to get it clean. I use a '67 Deluxe more than any other amp so I have a pretty good ear for the differences. The Tremolux has tones that are reminicent of a Bassman or a Super reverb, where a Deluxe as good as they are just lack the necesarry headroom to play loud and clean.
                  "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                  "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Thanks Dave!

that might be what I need...Im gonna use some kind of attenuator to help control the volume but I want something that still has a good clean tone but with the attenuator I can still make crunch as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave
                      The Deluxe will not have any where near the headroom this amp does. I play thru a 61 Tremolux regularly, and this amp at low volumes is very clean, where a DR is very hard to get it clean. I use a '67 Deluxe more than any other amp so I have a pretty good ear for the differences. The Tremolux has tones that are reminicent of a Bassman or a Super reverb, where a Deluxe as good as they are just lack the necesarry headroom to play loud and clean.
                      Dave....Is the Tremolux also a 6V6 rectifier tube amp? I can look at my schematics,but haven't yet.Next time I go to the $hitter,I'll have a look.

Comment

There were a small handfull of Tremolux amps with 6BQ5 (EL-84's) but most of them were 6L6 amps.

Comment

There were a small handfull of Tremolux amps with 6BQ5 (EL-84's) but most of them were 6L6 amps.
                          Oh 6L6.....Yep headroom!

Comment

I have a '63 blonde/BF transitional Tremolux with the original 2 x 10 cab. This is basically the piggyback brother of the Vibrolux. My Tremolux is about the fattest sounding BF amp that I've heard, even with the stock speakers. It runs 2 6L6's and has a tube rectifier, so it puts out about 30-35 watts and compresses/sags very nicely. It has a pretty typical BF clean tone, although it seems a bit fatter and darker than other BF amps (I actually use the bright switch from time to time). When you crank this amp up past 5 it overdrives smoothly and beautifully for some great crunch. I suppose it may sound dry to some people without reverb on board, but the tremolo is very deep and musical. Plus, since it has no reverb circuit, you can daisy chain the two channels for some extra beef -- and you can run effects in the daisy chain between channels, so you can mix wet and dry channels for some very smooth and cool tones (especially nice with a reverb or echo pedal, but also cool with an OD pedal)! It has a lot of bottom with the closed back cab, and it is light, compact, and easy to transport in two pieces.

Make sure it's in good health, as I played a '65 BF Tremolux at a GC that sounded awful, which I chalk up to poor condition. As usual, try before you buy, but you may be in for a wonderful surprise. I think these are incredibly good amps in a great package -- a true hidden gem in the vintage Fender line.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelsey

Make sure it's in good health, as I played a '65 BF Tremolux at a GC that sounded awful, which I chalk up to poor condition. As usual, try before you buy, but you may be in for a wonderful surprise. I think these are incredibly good amps in a great package -- a true hidden gem in the vintage Fender line.
                              YUP ! I had a chance to buy a Tremolux Head & Cab for $300 (ten years ago)
                              It sounded aweful ! But in retrospect all it needed was filter caps.
                              At the time I thought it was stupid to buy a amp in slight disrepair. Now when
                              I see the going rate on these amps I can image how stupid I was/am.
                              http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Working...
                              X