banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I need to conect a speaker on a SS amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need to conect a speaker on a SS amp?

Hi guys,

I've just acquired a new bass head which has a DI out built in. The head is solid state and I was wondering if these suffer from the same issues as tube heads when no speakers are connected? Is it safe to have no speakers plugged in and use the DI out direct to PA? I've looked in the manual and it doesn't state either way.

Cheers

Moog

Re: Do I need to conect a speaker on a SS amp?

I think you still need speakers with the right ohms so the transformer doesn't blow.
    Fender MIM Strat 59 trembucker bridge/Super II neck
    Edwards 56' Goldtop 2 x SD P90-1s
    Marshall JCM 900 MKIV 2100 slx
    Marshall JCM 900 1936 Celestion GT-75/Vintage 30 cab,
    Fender Frontman 15g
    Cry Baby
    Boss DS-2
    Boss CE-3
    Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

Umm ...SS amps don't usually have an output transformer-
      as far as having to connect a speaker- well, there has been long discussions on the subject, but, it is usually safe to run a SS amp w/o speakers. At least that is what I was taught in electronics class, and at a Peavey tech class I took
      Tube amps are a whole different ball game.
      " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

I run my SS-powered Mesa without speakers for recording and it works fine. I haven't come across any SS amps you can't do that with, but there may be a few oddballs.

Comment

Uaually not a problem, but if you have doubts, you can always call the amp's tech support and ask for your peace of mind..

Comment

Thanks for your help guys!!!

Comment

It IS a problem...you can run a SS amp with no speaker load longer that you can do it with a tube amp but after a while it will kill a SS amp too...
              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Is there way I can create a dummy load on the amp without going to the extremes of an attenuator? I'm not interested in any sound coming from the speaker, just having a load on the amp.

Comment

Working...
                X