Your thoughts on 2 amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your thoughts on 2 amps

My Crate GFX65T is dying a slow and painful death...

I'm looking for a comparable replacement and trying to stay under $300

I went to the BIG (not really) music store in town. They have a lot of Crates. The current 65 watt model is selling for $400 (on sale!) . They had a 60 watt Roland for $350 - looked interesting but the guy told me that sometimes it can't punch through when a whole band is playing - in other words it's a big practice amp.

Okay so I went to a small corner music store near my house... they don't have much of a selection - but they had two amps that interested me.

1. Marshall MG30DFX - I really liked the sound - but it's only 30 watts! And I've been plugging my Crate into a 12" Celestion extension speaker - the Marshall doesn't have an extension speaker jack. So as much as I like the sound, it just doesn't seem practical.

2. Kustom Quad 65 DFX - Seems to have all the features that I want - but I couldn't seem to dial in a sound that I liked. I downloaded the user manual with suggested EQ settings and such. I'll go back tomorrow and give it another try.

The thing is, I don't know anything about Kustom. Are they any good? What kind of reputation do they have?

Any thoughts on either of these two amps?

My backup plan is to drive into Reno (30 miles - not a big deal really) and check out one of the music stores there. I would like to give this guy here my business (he's kind of a friend) but not so much that my music suffers.

I've got two gigs this weekend - I'm praying that either the Crate survives or I find a good deal somewhere.

Thanks for any advice you can give me,
    Rick
    Rick
    (the original Rick James!)

Sing unto Him a new song; play skillfully with a LOUD noise. Psalm 33:3
    Lincoln Brewster Kutless Newsboys Third Day David Crowder U2

Re: Your thoughts on 2 amps

Marshall MGs are the worst solidstate amps you can buy, period.

...well maybe not the worst but they're really expensive for what they are...
    Last edited by D-EJ915; 09-30-2005, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by D-EJ915

Thanks... I appreciate your candor

anyone else?
      Rick

Comment

Usually I don't pimp stuff that I'm going to be buying...at closeout, but my friend said this amp is great and so I'm gonna take his word for it: Randall RG75G2 Camo $240 bucks

Comment

Those two that you just listed are probably two of the worst SS amps out there. Look on ebay, I used to have a GFX65 brand new and the most I could get for it on ebay is $130. I'm sure you'll find something there.
          Last edited by Xeromus; 10-01-2005, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xeromus
            Those two that you are listed are probably two of the worst SS amps out there. Look on ebay, I used to have a GFX65 brand new and the most I could get for it on ebay is $130. I'm sure you'll find something there.
            Okay... I kind of suspected this about the Kustom... kind of surprised about the Marshall... but oh well...

I guess I better plan a trip into Reno...

Oh, about that Randall... Actually, I kind of like it - but I'm kind of warped that way... some day I'll post a picture of my green-stained speaker cab that I built.

Thanks everyone, for all your input

Rick
            Rick

Comment

I should get some black and yellow tape and "stryperize" it haha, anyway, hope you find something that suits you!!

Comment

I should get some black and yellow tape and "stryperize" it haha,
                I was thinking of things along those lines, yeah... the camo would be fun for a while - but I could see it getting kind of old someday. I wonder if it could be painted? but I guess you could just cover the cabinet with another material of some kind... for that price and all, you wouldn't feel bad about taking a chance with it. But I would definitely do something fun.

Unfortunately, I can't take the time to wait for something to be shipped - otherwise I would seriously consider this amp.

I'll try out the store (or stores) in Reno. If I can't find anything, then I'll conder the Randall

Thanks again,
                Rick
                Rick

Comment

Re: Your thoughts on OTHER amps?

Going through the internet looking for possible amps in my pwer range (50-100 watts) and my price range (under $300) this is a sampling of what I found:

Line 6 Spider II 112

Peavey Studio Pro II 112

Fender FM65R

Fender FM210R

Fender FM212R

B-52 LG7512

Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 60R

and a couple of 65 watt Crates

Other than the Crates I don't have any specially knowledge or experience with any of these. If anyone has thoughts - yea or nay - about any of these... I'll be online checking here until I leave in a few hours. I would appreciate any wisdom you may want to share

Thanks,
                  Rick
                  Rick

Comment

A+
                    " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

For that price, you need to really hunt for a good deal. And it's going to have to be used. Look at pawn shops, especially in a bigger town where there are more places. Be sure to keep an eye out for any used amps in all the music stores you go to. Look here in the trading post, look on eBay, etc. Ask the guys at the music shops if they know of any used amps that are in your price range. You may be able to snag a used tube combo or head for that price, and you say you've got an extension cab, right? Use that! If you're hellbent on solid state, go modeling. To me, those are the best sounding SS amps. Good luck.

Comment

Here's what I would recommend:

Carvin MTS (tube) go on ebay often for $300

So do Line 6 Duoverbs which are also very good (modeling)

Comment

Was the 60watt roland they had a Roland cube?sounds right anyway.I haven't played the 60watt version but the 15watt version was one of the best SS amps ive played!Might be worth at least trying it anyway.
                          Marshall JVM 410C
                          Mesa Boogie DC-3
                          ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
                          1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
                          2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
                          2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
                          1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
                          2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
                          1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Try finding a laney Pro Tuber AOR30 or 60 combo they usualy go around the 300 mark and are kickass amps

Comment

Laney also has a new 'Hardcore' solidstate series...they might be worth looking into, they definetely look badass. "MXD" series.

Comment

Working...
                              X