EL84 v.s. El34 - TONAL differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EL84 v.s. El34 - TONAL differences

Hey guys, I did a search on this topic, but I couldn't find any info on the tonal differences of those twp tubes... just that the EL84 break up earlier...

While we're at it, does anyone know what're the tonal differences between a EL84 DSL 401 & an EL34 DSL 50?

Thanks
    Last edited by Kommerzbassist; 10-02-2005, 11:23 AM.

7ender 7anboy.

Re: EL84 v.s. El34 - TONAL differences

The EL-84's have a very dark, spongy feel compared to EL34's. I had a DSL 401, I found it to be too dark, had no brightness, not at all a Marshall tone. I traded it in for an EL-34 based JCM 800, and that had the classic Marshall tone and crunch. EL34's are very bold

Comment

oh- and teh EL-84 based Marshall sounded closer to a Mesa Boogie Mark I than a true Marshall tone

Comment

IMO the EL84 is a middy and bright tube, while the EL34 is more of a middy and warm tube. EL34 has more headroom and power, which will make it sound bigger and punchier, and will make the EL84 sound more compressed and less bassy by comparison. The EL84's middyness has a distinctive honk to it and is somewhat like the old school Mesa middyness.

The DSL401 looks like it has no presence control, which will make it sound dark even with an EL84 power section. Edit: and it has several large treble rolloffs in the preamp and a 220K resistor in series between the PI and the power tubes both of which which will roll off some top end, and it's non-NFB which will make it a bit boomy and soft in the low end.

What's an EL3450?
        Last edited by chill; 10-01-2005, 02:00 PM.

Comment

EL-84s are more upper mid focused tubes. If you need a killer low end, you should probably want to be looking at 6l6s instead of EL-84s or EL-34s. EL-84s break up much quicker than EL-34s and they have more of a compressed and spongier sort of feel. They are by far my favorite tubes because I like the way they react with the rest of my gear (if you love single coils, Filtertrons and p90s definitely try one through an EL-84 amp). For my practice and club type gigs, the volume is perfect (mine is 30w tube and it's just right to cut through a loud drummer). The cleans and overdrive are perfect for my british rock flavored stuff. It's got the chime and jangle that I love for my band and the ovedrive is rich, thick and it's midrange honk cuts through the other instruments.

EL-34s are big tubes with a lot of volume and a lot of headroom. If you want these tubes to breakup at lower volumes, run far away (that's what amps like the Triamp told me). These are very open sounding and I've never been really all that crazy about single coils with them (although I'm sure many artists would disagree with that). They are a humbuckers best friend from my experience. If you are playing big gigs and won't always have a PA, I think these would be a wise decision. The lower mids will rock for heavier rock styles as well . These can sound great clean or overdriven (if you have the application to be able to run it loud enough to get natural overdrive).
          Last edited by That90'sGuy; 10-01-2005, 03:39 PM.
          Originally posted by kevlar3000
          I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
          Originally posted by Zerberus
          Better is often the enemy of good
          Originally posted by ginormous
          Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by chill
            What's an EL3450?
            Sorry chief, I meant the DSL 50 head.

Thanks for all of your info so far.

7ender 7anboy.

Comment

Basically the el-34's give you the classic marshall tone everyone knows of. The el-84's are a completely different type of tone, not close to the marshall tone.
              Fender MIM Strat 59 trembucker bridge/Super II neck
              Edwards 56' Goldtop 2 x SD P90-1s
              Marshall JCM 900 MKIV 2100 slx
              Marshall JCM 900 1936 Celestion GT-75/Vintage 30 cab,
              Fender Frontman 15g
              Cry Baby
              Boss DS-2
              Boss CE-3
              Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

I get pretty confused with posts like these.

With standard amp design, an EL-84 will handle around 20w a pair, where an EL-34 will handle around 50w a pair. So a comparison of the tubes isn't really fair from that standpoint. You can say, an AC-15 uses a pair of EL-84s and sounds really cool. Or you can say a Gibson Falcon runs 2 6V6s and sounds really cool. They're around the same output, but they're entirely different amps with entirely different designs with entirely different tubes in the output section.

However, if you want to compare a Marshall 2204 with 6550s compared to EL-34s- that's a bit of a more valid comparison- the amp came both ways.
                *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
                Originally posted by Slash2987
                Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
                Originally posted by PVFan
                I'm a good sex man.
                Originally posted by Grumpy
                I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Hmm ok... from what I've heard here, I can't just cut down my expenses and buy the smal DSL 401... I'll have to get a Head & Box... thanks

7ender 7anboy.

Comment

I'll describe each tube type in one word...people can correct me if I'm wrong

EL84 = Scrappy
                    EL34 = Brutish
                    Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
                    It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
                    Originally posted by LesStrat
                    Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

.. if only some 18 Watt owner would climb in
                      I've been driving all night, my hands wet on the wheel.

Comment

So will Custom Custom/Alnico II Pro sound like a hot mess through a el84 powered amp? Thinking of getting a Peavey Classic 50.

Comment

Originally posted by PearlyHellhound View Post
                          So will Custom Custom/Alnico II Pro sound like a hot mess through a el84 powered amp? Thinking of getting a Peavey Classic 50.
                          either of those will sound pretty cool thru a classic 50. Alnico II pickups tend to have less bottom end than alnico 5 etc so they tend to sound best in the same frequency band that an amp like a classic fifty does well. The a2s will also roll off the tops a bit so the amp will not sound too glassy. Either pup would be a great match with that amp for warm, mid/upper mid tones. A contrast would be a regukar custom pickup with all its scoopy grunt would not be best suited to that amp, cos the amp wont do justice to all that bottom end and heavy output.
                          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

el 84 - small bottle, low wattage, easy breakup, bright, chimey. 1 pair =15-20watts
                            el 34 - big bottle, more headroom, more bass, more thick mid voicing, warm. 1 pair=40-60watts
                            Last edited by Chickenwings; 04-26-2011, 10:38 PM.
                            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                              el 84 - small bottle, low wattage, easy breakup, bright, chimey. 1 pair =15-20watts
                              el 34 - big bottle, more headroom, more bass, more thick mid voicing, warm. 1 pair=40-60watts
                              +1
                              tone slut
                              Marshall DSL 40C
                              Fender EVH Striped Series
                              Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
                              Fender Squier Tele Affinity
                              Mogami cables

Comment

Working...
                              X