SS Marshall or something else???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SS Marshall or something else???

I'm not a big fan of SS amps but I was wondering if anyone has played the either of/both of the Marshall MGHDFX100 head or/and the AVT150 head. If so how do these sound?? I am a tube freak but can't afford to shell out the money for a tube head. Would either of these be suitable for an extreme metal type of sound. It has to have a good low-end chunk and tones of clarity for sweeps and what not. I would really love to get a Peavey XXX or JSX+ but am too strapped for cash for the time being. If anyone feels those Marshall heads or SS heads aren't worth the money then I'll just save up for a tube head(as was my original intention). I am currently running a Spider II 150 watt combo through a Behringer 4x12 ultrastack cab. So I've got a equipment that will "work" for right now, it's just not the sound/tone/clarity/chunk that I'm looking for. I've been told to use pedals but I've played the Peavey XXX without pedals and thought it sounded amazing. I know Kris from Darkest Hour uses the XXX on their new album and his leadwork is absolutely amazing sounding. The notes in the lead work are very tight and crisp, and I know that he's said Marshall's are rather muddy when it comes to doing leadwork but I wanted anybody elses' opinion that I could get. Thanks in advance for the help.
    Guitars
    Fender American Standard Strat(US)
    w/ Seymour Duncan Hotrail neck, Fullsize JB in Bridge
    Cort MGM-1 sig. model
    w/ EMG 81 bridge, EMG 85 neck (pwnd)
    Amps
    Line 6 Spider II 150 watt 2x12 combo

Re: SS Marshall or something else???

I do not like the MG series at all. The AVT series is better, but I still wouldn't buy it. The AVT 150 head is $700. Seriously, you can find a tube head used for that price. Or if you can save up another $200 you can probably get a Triple XXX! Seriously man, if you're going to spend $700 on the AVT head, either get a used tube head, or wait until you have a bit more cash and go tube. You're ALMOST there, so don't skimp out yet.

Comment

stay far away from AVT amps. I owned an AVT50. AVT's sound great from about 2-5 on the volume knob. Once it gets above that, it starts to suck. It's really weak on 10. MAJOR difference between that and my Sound City 50+ that I have now.... on 10 you cant hear my drummer when standing in the back of a room (combines with my rhtyhm guitarist and bassist, granted).
      7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

+1 on saving to get either a used tube amp or a new one.
        Fender MIM Strat 59 trembucker bridge/Super II neck
        Edwards 56' Goldtop 2 x SD P90-1s
        Marshall JCM 900 MKIV 2100 slx
        Marshall JCM 900 1936 Celestion GT-75/Vintage 30 cab,
        Fender Frontman 15g
        Cry Baby
        Boss DS-2
        Boss CE-3
        Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

SS Marshall or something else???
          ANYTHING else...

except...

I played one of those new Hartke tube pre-amp/SS power amps today. Its like 400 bucks for a head and 4x8 cab..it was actually worse than the Marshall MG. Buzziest nastiest thng I've heard in years.

New ss marshalls are awful. The old MOSFET amps were so much better. Fatter, thicker.

Go to guitar center and try a B52 solid state head. I was pretty impressed with it considering the ridiculously low price. Crushed the Marshall, and nicer than Peavey and Randall, if ya ask me. MF/GC has the exclusive on them (apparently made by ampeg), and a 100W half stack runs $599
          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Isn't the Hartke a bass amp though?

Comment

Nope , they've started making some guitar amps under their label recently( they've been making for Sam Ash under the guitar research label for awhile now)
              I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Yeah, the MG series is terrible...I did play an AVT amp before and it sounded nice, but I did have it quite low and for the price it's kind of expensive imo.

Comment

Marshall SS is horrible! Just horrible. Stay away.

I'm going to go along with everyone else and say keep saving. I think the Line 6 Spider stuff is so much better than any Marshall SS anyway.

my school's 'best' amp is a Line 6 Spider and I think it's pretty good. I don't venture into the gain territory that I guess you must do, but it's always performed alright for me. Obviously, it's got absolutely nothing on any decnt valve amps I've used, but next to a Marshall SS, It's really good. I'd rather have the Line 6 over any Marshall SS any day.

I've heard the $700 figure thrown around a bit and I was thinking. That much plus whatever you can get for selling your current setup and you've (almost) got enough for a second hand Peavey 5150. Metal-tastic!

Just a thought anyway,
                  Benja
                  Guitars:
                  Epi LP (SH-11b + SH-55n)
                  Danelectro U2 '56 Reissue
                  Yamaha APX5LA
                  Pedals:
                  MXR Super Comp, HBE Power Screamer, Toadworks Death Rattle, Carl Martin Crunch Drive, Boss CE-2, Marshall Ed The Compressor, Marshall Drivemaster, Arion EQ, Bespeco Volume Pedal
                  Amps:
                  Fender Prosonic combo
                  Marshall JTM60 combo

Comment

Yeah, the 5150s are metal heaven. I wouldn't mind having one, I just wouldn't want it to be my only amp.

Comment

You guys are awesome, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Back to tube amp heaven it is!
                      Guitars
                      Fender American Standard Strat(US)
                      w/ Seymour Duncan Hotrail neck, Fullsize JB in Bridge
                      Cort MGM-1 sig. model
                      w/ EMG 81 bridge, EMG 85 neck (pwnd)
                      Amps
                      Line 6 Spider II 150 watt 2x12 combo

Comment

I bought an AVT150 three years ago when I didn't know much about amps and just wanted a half stack. From experience, I have one thing to say to you: stay away from AVT.

It sounds like a cardboard box. All of the distortion channels have an overbearing amount of fuzz and sound very thin. It now serves as the power amp to my PODxt for bedroom practicing. The clean channel is half decent, but definately not worth its price.
                        Gear:

PRS CE22 (Evo/Evo)
                        Fender MIM Powerhouse Stratocaster (Custom/Lil'59) Pic*

PODxt
                        Atomic 112

Comment

Working...
                        X