banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever try the Carvin vintage 16 amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever try the Carvin vintage 16 amp?

If so, tell me what you think of it.

Re: Anyone ever try the Carvin vintage 16 amp?

shwa

Comment

I have one. On it's own it's nothing special, IHO. The OD is rather murky and the clean sound lacks presence. But it's rather amazing what you can do with a decent OD pedal in front of it. My favorite OD pedal that I've found to date is the Phat Axx from Indyguitarist. With that pedal in front of the V16 it's rather amazing how much of a full sound you can get from such a small package. I'm not saying it's the best tone you'll ever hear but in it's own way it's very workable. You can easily do things like Led Zep, AC/DC and Van Halen.
      Also, over at the Carvin forum there's a guy who's done some mods to the V16 and it sounds like a mini-Marshall. I think his name is Hasserl. Go to the Carvin site, go to amplifiers and do a search for V16 mods. Somewhere in there you'll find his site with sound clips and instructions for his mods. I've even been considering having the mods done to my V16 as well.

Comment

bump

Comment

You're considering a Carvin product again?
          “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Duke
            You're considering a Carvin product again?
            Not really, but curious about it.

Comment

I played one briefly a little while ago. Sounded good, in a vintage-style, EL84 kind of way. I tried it on the 5 watt setting, and it delivered a very warm tone at pretty low volumes. It'd be a great blues/roots-style recording amp.
              Originally posted by Jolly
              ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

I hear these are very good.
                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                X