Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scored an ecstasy classic

Finally was able to find a used one....loaded with all the options

I haven't had time to really play with it yet, but I fired it up and in less than 10 minutes I was already finding some cool tones.

After I get comfortable with it, I'll post some comments and maybe some clips
    thereveling.com

Re: scored an ecstasy classic

Sweet! Congrats Bro! Thats the only Bogner I've played, and it was extremely impressive. Id hafta buy used though, I personally cant justify the price they charge for those things new compared to some modded marshalls I've played that cost half as much. But if I was rich, Id buy one in a heartbeat
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

There's nothing like that amp on top of a Bogner 4-12. Once you get a chance to turn it up on a 4-12, you'll see how killer that amp is. You've almost GOT to buy those things used, because the new price is just a bank-breaker.

I'd recommend using a Tuki padded cover with it. I got a roadcase and a Tuki, and that heavy head with the roadcase is just too much to lift. The Tukki is the way to go.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I got it with a Tukki cover, I was going to get a roadcase, but now I'm thinking I should reconsider.

Do you think the padded cover offers enough protection when gigging?
        thereveling.com

Comment

Originally posted by mr breaker
          I got it with a Tukki cover, I was going to get a roadcase, but now I'm thinking I should reconsider.

Do you think the padded cover offers enough protection when gigging?
          The padded cover, with the strap secured around the bottom, works fine, as long as you're the sole person handling it, and at that price, I'm sure that'll be the case. There's a Canadian roadcase company that always sells in the Ebay Bogner section that offers heavy duty roadcases pretty cheap....with an added storage compartment. That's the one I bought when I was gigging twice a week. The thing is huge, and hard to lift, so I threw it in my closet and just use the padded Tuki now. I don't plan to drop it, so it works perfectly. Ecstasy's are loud, but the mixable FX loop works great. I use an EH Holy Grail in the loop for a very subtle reverb, and the FX loop's output can be used as an additional master volume.

Once you know that amp forward and backward, you'll wonder how any amp could ever satisfy you again......that was the case with me. The pic in my avatar isn't my rig.....I just found the picture. I just use it as a normal halfstack. Plus, my Matchless is a 2-12 combo, not a head. I actually found a guy selling a mint canefront headshell for $200 and picked it up, so I could have the original metalfront or canefront option. I figured I'd never sell the amp, so I may as well have a couple headshells and the 4-12 and 2-12.
          I think the metalfront looks best on the 4-12.....the canefront head looks better on the 2-12, and your Classic would probably look best on a black/black Uberschall cab....I think that's the cab intended for your amp, since yours has a black grillcloth, right?
          Last edited by Gearjoneser; 10-02-2005, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Yeah, mine has the black grillcloth. Right now I am using a marshall 1960A with V30's. I'm thinking about putting two G12T's back on the bottom for a tighter/punchier low end.

I haven't messed with the effects loop yet, I don't really use any effects at the moment. How does the effects volume work exactly?

If I created a loop, cranked the volume on one of the channels, lowered the effects loop master volume...would this be the same as putting a volume pedal in the effects loop?
            thereveling.com

Comment

Hot Sh!t!!!!

Daaamn thats truly an amp's amp if you know what I mean. Congrats!

Comment

Yeah, mine has the black grillcloth. Right now I am using a marshall 1960A with V30's. I'm thinking about putting two G12T's back on the bottom for a tighter/punchier low end.

I haven't messed with the effects loop yet, I don't really use any effects at the moment. How does the effects volume work exactly?

If I created a loop, cranked the volume on one of the channels, lowered the effects loop master volume...would this be the same as putting a volume pedal in the effects loop?
                I think you can do that. I'm less familiar with the Classic than the 101B, but they aren't that different. I've been satisfied with the Vintage 30's, but I'm thinking of eventually adding some H30's in a criss-cross pattern. I've used it with a Marshall cab w/Vin 30's and G-12T's, and it brings out the crunch and high end nicely. When I use it with the Bogner cab, it has that woody bounce to the sound, kinda like an old Marshall cab. Big low end, and very woody and buttery highs and mids. It's surprising how different cabs can sound with the same head. If you eventually get a Bogner cab, you should get a slanted Ubershall with Vin 30/H30's crisscrossed. As long as you've got a place to turn that thing up, you'll be in tone heaven. They're loud mofos.

Comment

Yeah, the amp sounds killer when it's cranked. Is there any way to get great sounds out of it at bedroom levels?

I can only crank it once a week at rehearsal, I would love to get that tone every day at home.
                  thereveling.com

Comment

get a hot plate attenuator...or the like and you can rock out at bedroom levels...
                    iv always wanted a bogner....enjoy.

chris
                    "Get a BIBLE: open it, read it, and believe it" - Me

Comment

Yeah, the amp sounds killer when it's cranked. Is there any way to get great sounds out of it at bedroom levels?

I can only crank it once a week at rehearsal, I would love to get that tone every day at home.
                      If you want to get it as quiet as possible....

Use half-power.
                      Try the Class A option, if it has it.
                      Configure the red and blue channels for maximum gain, and turn everything down
                      Put a rackmounted FX unit in the FX loop, and use the send and return knobs to shave off more volume.

It's a 120W amp, so it's a real volume crusher, but luckily Bogners still sound good when low, compared to Marshalls and others.

Comment

have you tried an attenuator with yours? I wonder what kind of results I'd get with one.
                        thereveling.com

Comment

I've never owned a Hotplate, but should probably get one. In a live or rehearsal scenario, I can get by fine just keeping the amp at a moderate volume. At home, I just do the things I said above, although I keep it on full power so the tubes wear evenly.
                          Honestly, I use my Vox modeling rig at home mostly.

My amp was one of the earlier ones loaded with all the options, so surprisingly, it's even got an attenuator loop on the back panel. I really should get one.

By the way, there's a Classic like yours on Ebay right now, sitting on a black Bogner 2-12. That looks like a sweet setup!

Comment

Hey GJ... personally i think its a crime that cranky soundmen dont allow us to crank up our fiiine amps at gigs. I'm told my attenuator just arrived in the mail so when i get off work and back home its testing time!

Comment

Working...
                            X