Vox AVT 60/120 owners..question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vox AVT 60/120 owners..question

This is for GearJoneser, Mr. Spina, and JumpMarine (and of course anyone else who owns one of these)

How well do the high end VTs take a goose?

I know it's got a modeled tubescreamer, but has anyone run a clean boost/Duncan booster or such through one of the marshall models (specifically the 800, Plexi, and JTM models)? I'm not wanting the mid spike of the TS.

I found a great deal on a 60 watt Neodog combo and it may suffice for the time being until I can get myself a good low watt boutique tube amp.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Re: Vox AVT 60/120 owners..question

Originally posted by JeffB
    This is for GearJoneser, Mr. Spina, and JumpMarine (and of course anyone else who owns one of these)

How well do the high end VTs take a goose?

I know it's got a modeled tubescreamer, but has anyone run a clean boost/Duncan booster or such through one of the marshall models (specifically the 800, Plexi, and JTM models)? I'm not wanting the mid spike of the TS.

I found a great deal on a 60 watt Neodog combo and it may suffice for the time being until I can get myself a good low watt boutique tube amp.
    Hello Jeff....I have the VTX 120 head that I prefer to run through a Marshall V30 4x12 cab....The only Marshall tones I can really say I Like are the Modern UK tones...The mids are screwy on the "Plexi" and the UK 80s models and so I prefer to run pedals into the front end instead...This amp takes every pedal I've run into the front end(so far)very well....The internal Tube Screamer kinda sucks and it removes the lows too much...I prefer to use a nice fat sounding BF 2x12 model setup clean and use some different pedals into the front of mine...This always gives me a great BF Fender clean tone and the pedals I use go from a boost,to overdrive,to higher gain tones...I mainly use the Duncan SFX-01,A modded TS 808,Modded DS1,and a Marshall Jackhammer...Lately I've made some cool pedals and so I've used a "Guv'nor pedal instead of the JH1,A RAT pedal that I built instead of the DS1,and a pedal called the "Blue Magic" which has temporarily replaced my Tube Screamer....Each and every pedal I've tryed into my Valvetronix head I've liked and some of the pedals only require some light tone stack tweaking,as most of the pedals I Mod,lean on being smoother and sometimes bordeline too dark....At home everything sounds perfect,but when I play with my band I find I need more mids and highs to cut...

The VTX series amps are just amazing for what you'll pay for one..You should know by now that I Love mine and it is currently getting the most use out of all the amps I own,including my BF Fender and Marshall amps...

I can tolerate some of the Marshall presets,but only if I run an eq pedal into the effects loop...Problem is,I lose the spacial stereo effect and ambience of my head when I do this because the pedal turns the amp into a mono output...The "Guv'nor" pedal is perfect(One that I built and tweaked)and the RAT works pretty well also..For lower gain/overdriven tones,this Blue Magic pedal sounds better than my modded Tube Screamers,but it's a recent love affair for me...LOL All of the pedals I've built have true bypass and I Like having 0 tone loss,even though the loss is ever so slight with the TS,Marshall,and Boss pedals..
    Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 10-01-2005, 07:20 PM.
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Have to agree with John with on all counts except that I actually prefer the JCM 800(UK 80's) tones to the more modern ones. I've only used a modded SD-1 and DS-1 in front of the amp and it took to both beautifully. It's a great amp with tons of tones to play with.
      '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

Thanks for the input fellas. Gonna go play it today
        I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Working...
        X