Think I solved my "bedroom amp" prob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think I solved my "bedroom amp" prob

And the answer has been right under my nose...

I was gonna go by Sam Ash again today after work to check out some more amps, but my back is bugging me (2 herniated discs), and I didn't want to make the drive. So I figured I'd stop by my local shop and see what they had. 20 minutes of nearly non-stop back spasms cut that trip short too

So anyway, like normal I turn on the Rivera and plug my POD XTL in. Last night I had been fooling with the Rivera by itself and my Powerbrake. I was jerking around a bit and it didn't sound "right".. and realized I had the "mic's on as the last time I played it was through headphones. Through the Rivera I don't use the mics just the cab sims. I've left them on before and know what it sounds like with and without them.

When I clicked the mic off, the sound hit me like a ton of bricks. "damn this thing sounds much better than normal...almost like a REAL amp, WTF?" Well, I spent a good hour playing and tweaking the Soldano model, and I even got the Plexi models sounding much better (and I usually can't stand them).

By far, I was getting the best tones EVAR out of this thing..The whole sound just totally opened up....AND at managable volume. ThenI got a pretty good spasm, and layed down on the edge of the bed and was just kinda staring at the amp, and I realized what was different about today than any other of the countless times I've used this thing....

I was plugged into the high input jack.

Normally, I plug into the LOW input jack, so that the clean channel has more headroom and won't distort and crap out the XTL's simulation. Well apparently thats the WRONG FRIGGING THING TO DO....incredible difference...like night and day...like going from a Marshall MG to 800 series stack difference (that may be an exaggeration, but the diff is very significant). I can't believe how good this thing sounds now. No it's not a voodoo modded marshall...its still has some digital remnants to it, but holy crap...The clarity and punch is so much better...it makes my guitars sound and sustain better to. The firebird and the faded both just seemed to "open up" along with the amp. the Soldano & 800 models just RIPPPP (again considering the volume level)

The kicker is...my roommate, who wouldn't know eddie van halen from eddie cochran, even knocked on my door and said "man, did you get a new amp or something today? cos you sound reallly friggin good! I thought you were playing a CD"..his GF agreed as well.

I just said "no, I'm a technology challenged dumbass"...

I'm gonna try one of those Atomics to see if it warms up a bit, but if that doesn't yield anything better, I'm stickin with what I got, cos it sounds damn good.

woohooooooo
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Re: Think I solved my "bedroom amp" prob

Sorry to hear about the back thing. My back is better than it has been for the past 10 years...

I guess I've been fortunate enough to be able to be in a situation where I can run the amps at decent volumes. It's all about what comes out of that sucka.
    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
    Originally posted by Slash2987
    Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
    Originally posted by PVFan
    I'm a good sex man.
    Originally posted by Grumpy
    I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Re: Think I solved my "bedroom amp" prob

Originally posted by The Golden Boy
      Sorry to hear about the back thing. My back is better than it has been for the past 10 years...
      Mine is too actually...but mussed it up last week wrestling with my son Thanks.

I guess I've been fortunate enough to be able to be in a situation where I can run the amps at decent volumes. It's all about what comes out of that sucka.
      I used to be able to do that with no probs either. Can't now cos of neighbors (in a townhouse/condo unit). I'm usually home kinda late cos of work and spending time with my boy during the week (divorced), so can't get much volume going. On the weekends I can turn it up a bit during the day or if I play hooky from work during the week

Thats about the only I miss about being with the ex. Had a nice house and I could crank an amp much more often
      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Working...
      X