Cheapest way to REAL Marshall tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheapest way to REAL Marshall tone?

I'm makin' these posts simple. Whats the cheapest solution to GOOD Marshall tone. The DSL 60 watt head looks pretty promising. Anything cheaper that is as good or better than that?

I don't have any money to spend at the moment, but dammit, I need a Marshall!

Mike

Re: Cheapest way to REAL Marshall tone?

Originally posted by msawitzke
    I'm makin' these posts simple. Whats the cheapest solution to GOOD Marshall tone. The DSL 60 watt head looks pretty promising. Anything cheaper that is as good or better than that?

I don't have any money to spend at the moment, but dammit, I need a Marshall!

Mike
    You pretty much need a Marshall to get that sound....You could try getting a Marshall Guv'nor or Jackhammer pedal or even the Carl Martin Plexitone pedal..
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Traynor Blue 50 gets extremely British, 60/70s era Traynor Bassmaster with a couple tweaks puts you right into Plexiville. Laney AOR very similiar to the 800. Line 6 Flextone III. Just a couple off the top of my head. Definately some options. Which Marshall sound are you aiming for? Lots of decades to pick from.
      ]
      FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

always splawn...but not exactly cheap

lol
        Splawn QR
        Splawn 4x12 w/greenbacks
        Splawn 2x12 w/ CL80s
        George Lynch Skulls n' Snakes Sig ESP w/JB trembucker

My Cover Band
        My Gear Pix
        My SPLAWN Clips
        My SPLAWN Vids/Homepage

Comment

Fender Blues Jr., modded to an 18 Watter.
          Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
          Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

I guess I should be more specific. I'd like some range of Marshall tones, but definitely some of the more modern, higher gain stuff. Plexi vibe is cool too, of course. I'm not sure a pedal is gonna do it for me. I have a ToneBone Hot British, and it is cool, but it isn't quite the same. I'm playing it through a Mesa, so of course that has an effect as well. Modelers are definitely not gonna do it for me. They have thier place in the world, but for me it just isn't the same as a tube amp.

I think my best bet is probably a head of some sort. The DSL or TSL look pretty cool, but they're pretty pricey new (not compared to boutique amps, of course). I was just wondering if there was a no brainier solution that was cheaper.

Not to hijack my own thread, but I remember reading that the DSL was preferrable to the TSL. Why is that? The channel switching seems great, so it must be a tone thing...

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by msawitzke
              Not to hijack my own thread, but I remember reading that the DSL was preferrable to the TSL. Why is that? The channel switching seems great, so it must be a tone thing...
              welp..this is my opinion.....

Marshalls sound best...when they are simple...the more Marshall tries to put in an amp, the more of the classic marshall tone goes by the wayside...

The TSL has more "features" and such..it's a more complicated circuit/design. The DSL is a bit "browner"..or more marshally...not quite as tight/modern/compressed as the TSL...(but is alot more-so than say a JMP MV, 800 2203 or 1959/1987)

There's a reason most marshall folks prefer the old heads...simple designs that produce more lively tones. They aren't versatile, but do that one thing EXTREMELY well. The channel switching 800's,900s, and later (no offense Odie, Sune, and Erik) series amps all are trying to be a "jack of all trades" and thus are a master of none. Thats a general thing though. I've heard some great channel switchers, 900s, DSL/TSLs, etc.

For amps, simple=best tone...but they are not versatile on their own...they require the pedal dancing, guitar knob tweaking, etc.
              I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Laney Pro Tube 30 (or 60) head through a 4x12 and CRANK it

Comment

My Laney GH50L has a definite marshall vibe about it. One day may put EL34s in it instead of the 5881 6L6 at the moment. But as it is it sounds godly cranked

Comment

Mike, there's a fairly easy DIY project called "Brown Sound in a Box" and it really lives up to that name ! You can find it at www.generalguitargadgets.com. If you don't have all the chemicals to etch your own PCB's, you could order one from them or I might have a stripboard layout somewhere, as well as a perfboard.

This will cost you an evening at the bench and less than 20 bucks if you don't drink too much beer while you're working at it.

By the way, what's that tremolo that you build yourself ?
                    I've been driving all night, my hands wet on the wheel.

Comment

-Laney AOR Pro
                      -Redbear (___ ?)
                      -Sovtek Mig
                      -Peavey Butcher

MJ
                      EMB Audio Remote and Pedal Wahs: www.facebook.com/EMBaudio

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB
                        welp..this is my opinion.....

Marshalls sound best...when they are simple...the more Marshall tries to put in an amp, the more of the classic marshall tone goes by the wayside...

The TSL has more "features" and such..it's a more complicated circuit/design. The DSL is a bit "browner"..or more marshally...not quite as tight/modern/compressed as the TSL...(but is alot more-so than say a JMP MV, 800 2203 or 1959/1987)

There's a reason most marshall folks prefer the old heads...simple designs that produce more lively tones. They aren't versatile, but do that one thing EXTREMELY well. The channel switching 800's,900s, and later (no offense Odie, Sune, and Erik) series amps all are trying to be a "jack of all trades" and thus are a master of none. Thats a general thing though. I've heard some great channel switchers, 900s, DSL/TSLs, etc.

For amps, simple=best tone...but they are not versatile on their own...they require the pedal dancing, guitar knob tweaking, etc.
                        No offense taken. You're right on the money. Except the MkIII isn't a channel switching amp, it's single channel with switchable master volumes, same signal goes through both. Still a very simple amp.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH
                          No offense taken. You're right on the money. Except the MkIII isn't a channel switching amp, it's single channel with switchable master volumes, same signal goes through both. Still a very simple amp.
                          I meant to put an "800" before "channel switchers" , Erik...I meant the 2205, etc....
                          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB
                            I meant to put an "800" before "channel switchers" , Erik...I meant the 2205, etc....
                            Ahh, gotcha. Yeah, those things sorta lost the character.

Comment

The cheapest way to get the REAL Marshall tone is to buy a Marshall. I say that because if I were to have bought my DSL 50 head years ago instead of buying pedals, I could have saved myself $1,300.00 from all the pedals I've bought trying to get "that sound."

Comment

Working...
                              X