Dr.Z Airbrake or THD Hotplate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr.Z Airbrake or THD Hotplate

I'll make this short and sweet. I'm using a 100 watt Carvin Legacy with a 2x12, 16ohm cab and I need an attenuator for most of the gigs i play.

What do you guys think is the better buy and WHY, a THD Hotplate or a Dr. Z Airbrake?

Re: Dr.Z Airbrake or THD Hotplate

guys.... come on.

I have an opportunity to get either one right now and I'd like to use it for a gig Friday. At least help me find some reviews on the Airbrake.

Comment

I have never played or heard an airbrake; but I do own and use a THD hotplate for all of my shows. I am extremely pleased with the build quality and performance of the hotplate. It does not have a ton of features but it has exactly what I need and is built like a tank. I use the extra bass feature and usually attenuate to 8 decibels for live shows. With these settings I can crank the power section and drive the speakers hard enough to get close to an unattenuated sound; then mike the amp and let the soundman take my level up to where it sounds best. I don't think that I will ever play live again without the hotplate because my sound is so much better. I have live recordings of a performance without the hotplate and with the hotplate, and the difference in tone is like night and day. Hope that helps, and feel free to ask any questions.
      Voodoo Amps 50 and 100 watt V-Plex heads
      Voodoo Amps Texas Heat 1x12 combo
      Longhorn Amps "The Barn Owl" 1x12 combo
      1981 JCM 800 2204 Head
      1984 (Bogner Modified) JCM 800 4103 2X12 Combo
      ESP Eclipse Custom Shop '07 with WCR Cherrybucker Set
      ESP Eclipse Custom Shop '07 with EMG 81 and 60
      ESP Viper Custom Shop '07 with EMG 81 and 85
      ESP Esquire Custom Shop (Jeff Beck)
      Gibson SG Standard with WCR American Steele Set

Comment

THANK YOU.

I'm looking into the Airbrake more because I seem to find a lot of reviews from ex-HotPlate users who liked the tone a little more. They said it seemed more transparent and such. I do like the noise-reducing features and the Tone switches on the HP though.

Comment

I love my minimass though. I wouldnt rule weber out, even though most ppl say THDs are still a little better.
          Guitars: Jackson Black Flametop SLSMG FullShred(A8)/FullShred w/Tonepros bridge
          Fernandes Revolver Pro 7-String, BKP Painkiller(A8)
          Amp: Laney VH100R and Splawn 2x12 cab
          Effects: John Spina modded SD-1, Morley Bad Horsie Wah, MXR 10-band EQ (OLD version)
          Recording/Practice: Line 6 Guitar Port

Comment

I've never used one but guitar player gave the air brake an editors picks award. Just food for thought.

Comment

Originally posted by SlyFoxx
              I've never used one but guitar player gave the air brake an editors picks award. Just food for thought.
              Their judgements are usually extremely sound. Much more so than most other mags.

Comment

Well i went ahead with the Airbrake. I'll let you guys know how it sounds... or how it doesn't sound haha.

Comment

Originally posted by B2D
                  Well i went ahead with the Airbrake. I'll let you guys know how it sounds... or how it doesn't sound haha.
                  I've used an Airbrake for a couple years, and it's really changed my perspective on using attenuators. When I'm using it, I forget that it's in the chain. That's probably the best compliment I could offer for it. It's also nice not having to mess with AC cords, heat issues, and matching impedence. Ken Fischer knows a thing or two about amps, so it should be no surprise that the Airbrake works so well. Hope you like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tweed
                    I've used an Airbrake for a couple years, and it's really changed my perspective on using attenuators. When I'm using it, I forget that it's in the chain. That's probably the best compliment I could offer for it. It's also nice not having to mess with AC cords, heat issues, and matching impedence. Ken Fischer knows a thing or two about amps, so it should be no surprise that the Airbrake works so well. Hope you like it.
                    Well THIS makes me feel a LOT better. I've scheduled it to arrive on Thursday so I'll have a review by week's end.

Comment

Working...
                    X