Trouble with my Fulltone Wah!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with my Fulltone Wah!

Really weird. I took my Clyde Deluxe off my pedal board and brought to my buddies house because he's in the studio later this week and wants to use it. So up until then I've never had trouble with it. I get to his place and he plugs it in and starts wah'ing and then all of a sudden the treadle was stuck! It wouldn't go down... only up!?!?!?! So as human nature dictated he stepped on it a little firmer and then it popped back in and was fine.... until... it did it again!

So I gave it a quick look and noticed that the rubber stopper on the heel was missing, which caused the treadle gear to pull away from the pot gear. So sometimes it went back in w/out resistence and other times it got stuck (sometimes halfway down, sometimes 3/4 down)... seems random.

So I took the treadle off to get a better look at the gears to see if there was damage or something stuck and I found nothing! All the teeth on the gears looked perfect!?!? It still had some grease on the gears but may need some more, but I'm skeptical that this is a lube issue?? I found the rubber heel stop so when I get home tonight I'm gonna put that back on and dab some more grease.... if that doesn't work it's going back to Mike Fuller to fix.

Is it possible that I need to re-calibrate where the 2 gears initially meet? Because they were separated I'm wondering if there's a specific tooth in the pot gear that needs to be the starting point?

WTF?
    Last edited by sooperunkn; 10-04-2005, 08:30 AM.
    1978 Lefty Gibson Les Paul Custom (C5 bridge, Jazz neck) with Jimmy Page wiring
    1996 Lefty Fender Jazzmaster (w/ SD Antiquity IIs)
    2003 Lefty Taylor 414RCE (Rosewood Limited Edition with Expression System)
    Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier 3-channel through Marshall 1960A cabinet via THD HotPlate
    Effects: Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah, Fulltone DejaVibe, Maxon Rotary Phaser (PH-350), Boss DD6, Boss RC20 LoopStation, BBE Sonic Stomp

Re: Trouble with my Fulltone Wah!

Without looking at mine, I can't tell you exactly, but it's all purely mechanical, so just find out how all the pieces go together, and the problem should become obvious.
    Maybe the pot slid downward, and the retainer piece isn't guiding the treadle into it's sprocket properly? I'm sure you'll figure it out without having to send it to Mike Fuller, unless a piece is worn or broken.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

If you disconnect the gear from the wah pot,do you still have a problem with the treadle?
      In other words,is it actually the treadle or maybe you have a bad pot? Without seeing the wah?
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
        If you disconnect the gear from the wah pot,do you still have a problem with the treadle?
        In other words,is it actually the treadle or maybe you have a bad pot? Without seeing the wah?
        Sorry guys, I forgot to mention that I did try those suggestions. I too thought it might be the pot itself but when I took the treadle off I was able to move the pot back and forth with my fingers to its full range smoothly.

It really is strange, the fact that it's not sticking at a consistent spot each time? It definitely looks like the problem is with the interaction of the 2 gears, the treadle moves freely when its gear is out of the way. I also looked at that retainer piece (the one that keeps the tension on the treadle gear) and that looks normal as well, the design of it looks like there's no way for it to slip out of place.

One thing I haven't checked yet was to see if the gear attached to the pot is actually slipping from the pot post. I noticed that the pot gear is fastened by a tiny screw... if that's loose then maybe that's the cause? Don't know... I'm running out of ideas

I wasn't able to mess with it last night, had to do the wedding anniversary thing! But I will fool around a bit more tonight. I still have to reinstall the rubber heel stop and dab some more grease in there, although I'm highly skeptical that will solve the problem. I plan on using the white Lithium grease... is that the right stuff??

By the way, what do you guys thing of my "need to re-calibrate where the 2 gears initially meet" theory? Is that at all possible?

Thanks for the help!

-Jay
        Last edited by sooperunkn; 10-05-2005, 08:38 AM.
        Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier 3-channel through Marshall 1960A cabinet via THD HotPlate
        Effects: Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah, Fulltone DejaVibe, Maxon Rotary Phaser (PH-350), Boss DD6, Boss RC20 LoopStation, BBE Sonic Stomp

Comment

Originally posted by sooperunkn
          Sorry guys, I forgot to mention that I did try those suggestions. I too thought it might be the pot itself but when I took the treadle off I was able to move the pot back and forth with my fingers to its full range smoothly.

It really is strange, the fact that it's not sticking at a consistent spot each time? It definitely looks like the problem is with the interaction of the 2 gears, the treadle moves freely when its gear is out of the way. I also looked at that retainer piece (the one that keeps the tension on the treadle gear) and that looks normal as well, the design of it looks like there's no way for it to slip out of place.

One thing I haven't checked yet was to see if the gear attached to the pot is actually slipping from the pot post. I noticed that the pot gear is fastened by a tiny screw... if that's loose then maybe that's the cause? Don't know... I'm running out of ideas

I wasn't able to mess with it last night, had to do the wedding anniversary thing! But I will fool around a bit more tonight. I still have to reinstall the rubber heel stop and dab some more grease in there, although I'm highly skeptical that will solve the problem. I plan on using the white Lithium grease... is that the right stuff??

By the way, what do you guys thing of my "need to re-calibrate where the 2 gears initially meet" theory? Is that at all possible?

Thanks for the help!

-Jay
          See what happens when you don't have a "stratdeluxer" modded wah!?

Ohhhhhhh that's gotta hurt!
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
            See what happens when you don't have a "stratdeluxer" modded wah!?

Ohhhhhhh that's gotta hurt!
            Cute.... real cute! I'll bet when it's all said and done this will be labelled as "operator error"!!!

Comment

Cute.... real cute! I'll bet when it's all said and done this will be labelled as "operator error"!!!
              LOL.....Hopefully!?

Comment

I fixed it!!! And, as suspected, it very well could have been operator error!!

Here's my hunch... because the rubber heel stop fell off, the treadle moved to far up and the 2 gear pieces disconnected. When I pushed the treadle back down, the gears re-engaged but not at the same spot. So what I felt was the gear being stuck was actually the pot having reached it's max turning point... it couldn't move anymore! So I reinstalled the heel stop and greased up the gears AND made sure that the pot was in the "fully open" position before engaging the treadle gear. After doing that it worked like a champ!

So yes... I'm an idiot for not realizing this from the beginning. But this idiot perservered and saved some dough by not shipping it back to Fulltone!

Comment

I fixed it!!! And, as suspected, it very well could have been operator error!!

Here's my hunch... because the rubber heel stop fell off, the treadle moved to far up and the 2 gear pieces disconnected. When I pushed the treadle back down, the gears re-engaged but not at the same spot. So what I felt was the gear being stuck was actually the pot having reached it's max turning point... it couldn't move anymore! So I reinstalled the heel stop and greased up the gears AND made sure that the pot was in the "fully open" position before engaging the treadle gear. After doing that it worked like a champ!

So yes... I'm an idiot for not realizing this from the beginning. But this idiot perservered and saved some dough by not shipping it back to Fulltone!

Good deal.....Glad you got it all fixed up!

Comment

Working...
                  X