Why are attentuators so expensive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are attentuators so expensive?

Are they just made out of pricey components and materials or is it one of those "captive market" things?

Re: Why are attentuators so expensive?

I've been wondering the very same thing lately. You can imagine it would be easy to prey on people's fear that they might fry their precious vintage Marshall if they bought a "cheap" attenuator.

Comment

the small market drives the cost of production higher (per unit) than a more widley used commodity ... they cant amortize the cost over a very large production run ... they won't sell THAT many more of them if they lower the price ... so they are maximising their profit on the ones they do sell ...

as a luxury item (no one NEEDS one to survive), it is pretty impervious to economic forces ... face it, someone has already dumped $$$ for an amp that is so loud that it needs to be attenuated .. this proves they have disposable income ... the extra 'surcharge' for this accessory is in line with many 'add-ons' to luxury items

t4d
      gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

I would imagine it's more pricey components with a little "WE GOT YOU NOW" thrown in.

They have to withstand a lot of power without sucking up the tone, so in doing that in a compact unit probably ain't cheap.

Get a Weber MASS......best value IMHO

BTW....check these out:

Built-in power scaling
        Last edited by PUCKBOY99; 10-05-2005, 06:19 AM.

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
        Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
        FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
        http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days
          face it, someone has already dumped $$$ for an amp that is so loud that it needs to be attenuated .. this proves they have disposable income ...
          Can't argue with that!

Comment

Originally posted by PUCKBOY99
            I would imagine it's more pricey components with a little "WE GOT YOU NOW" thrown in.

They have to withstand a lot of power without sucking up the tone, so in doing that in a compact unit probably ain't cheap.
            Even if you get a fancy-pants super pricey attenuator, you're still getting a lot of your "tone" "sucked up" (I'm glad you used those terms- I couldn't have described it better!). If you're just getting a big ass variable resistor, you're kinda doing the same thing, but you're not providing an active load, nor allowing for tone bypass. Check around to industrial electronics stores and see how much a "big ass vairiable resistor" will run you.
            *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
            Originally posted by Slash2987
            Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
            Originally posted by PVFan
            I'm a good sex man.
            Originally posted by Grumpy
            I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

They have to be bulletproof

There's no room for failure in an attenuator. If something goes bad, it can take the amp with it and then you have people like me griping about it on every guitar board on the internet. The next thing you know, nobody's buying your product out of fear that it'll fail and destroy the amp in the process.

Engineering and components like that come at a price.
              Last edited by aleclee; 10-05-2005, 01:09 PM.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
              My Music

Comment

Originally posted by Simon_F
                Can't argue with that!
                I can.

This amp that needs to be attentuated in question is a Carvin Legacy. Those run for only $800 brand new.

Comment

Originally posted by The Golden Boy
                  Even if you get a fancy-pants super pricey attenuator, you're still getting a lot of your "tone" "sucked up" (I'm glad you used those terms- I couldn't have described it better!). If you're just getting a big ass variable resistor, you're kinda doing the same thing, but you're not providing an active load, nor allowing for tone bypass. Check around to industrial electronics stores and see how much a "big ass vairiable resistor" will run you.
                  I like "big ass vairiable resistor" better!

Hey B2D, what did the Airbrake run ya' ????

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                  Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                  FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                  http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

I mis-spelled "variable!!!!"
                    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
                    Originally posted by Slash2987
                    Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
                    Originally posted by PVFan
                    I'm a good sex man.
                    Originally posted by Grumpy
                    I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Originally posted by PUCKBOY99
                      I like "big ass vairiable resistor" better!

Hey B2D, what did the Airbrake run ya' ????
                      They list new for $300. I picked mine up for $225 plus shipping from a guy on thegearpage.net.

That Legacy is working out great for me but MAN is it heavy artillery when it comes to volume. I literally had soundmen yelling at me that it was still too loud last week and it was on 2.

Comment

The good Dr. recommended one to me, however I've never picked one up. I eagerly await your review man.

Luke
                        “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

The modern attenuators don't use a ton of resistors to attenuate the signals, unless your using the highest level of attenuation they really don't take away that much from your tone. One thing many players have a hard time dealing with is that at lower volumes your tone will sound different - not due to any of the electronics in the amp but because of your ear and how it functions. Lower the volume (without changing any of the aspects of the signal) and you'll also lower the dynamics of your tone.

Comment

what makes an attenuator exspensive?

making it not sound like sh*t
                            Last edited by CharlieNC; 10-05-2005, 02:13 PM.

Comment

I remeber when the first generation of attenuators came out- back in the late 70s, the Scholtz was about 120 bucks, and the altair was a little more. So in today's prices, I guess it's about the same. It takes some real heavy duty ceramic resistors to attenuate safely, so I'd say the cost of materials, plus, as was mentioned, it's a fairly small market that buys them.
                              " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

Working...
                              X