Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why are attentuators so expensive?

Originally posted by B2D
    They list new for $300. I picked mine up for $225 plus shipping from a guy on thegearpage.net.

That Legacy is working out great for me but MAN is it heavy artillery when it comes to volume. I literally had soundmen yelling at me that it was still too loud last week and it was on 2.
    Hey, that's not too bad. That's what I paid for a new Weber Stereo MASS.

Good luck....look forward to the review

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
    Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
    FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

PPIMV - $8.00

sorted.
      Richard

Free Shred Guitar Lessons
      Marshall Mods

Comment

Originally posted by B2D
        .. Those run for only $800 brand new.
        you help me make my point, friend

think of the price of that toy in relation to what most people pay for housing in a month ... or car payments .. or whatever ...

when the price of the amp grows into 4 digits, my point becomes even clearer ...

are attenuators engineered to manage heat dissipation too? ... something like a resistor network in a paintcan filled with tar like they use in the power transformers on the utility poles? shunt the unwaned power to the resistor grid and let them get hot, but the tar will serve as a heat sink to keep them from roasting?

or do i have that all wrong?

t4d
        gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Actually this is how attenuators work... they produce heat by sucking up the power from the amp (which is quite much) that is then again dissipated.

7ender 7anboy.

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days
            you help me make my point, friend

think of the price of that toy in relation to what most people pay for housing in a month ... or car payments .. or whatever ...

when the price of the amp grows into 4 digits, my point becomes even clearer ...

are attenuators engineered to manage heat dissipation too? ... something like a resistor network in a paintcan filled with tar like they use in the power transformers on the utility poles? shunt the unwaned power to the resistor grid and let them get hot, but the tar will serve as a heat sink to keep them from roasting?

or do i have that all wrong?

t4d
            $800 amp thats loud as a maw faw + $225 to make it sound good at low levels.... yeah i guess you're right. I guess not many people think of some "inexpensive" amps being loud SOBs though.

I've heard many heads that were louder, mind you, but the tone of this amp is raging and brutal... its very fat and very smooth. Not as gainy as you'd think either. What it lacks in gain it makes up for in pure balls and harmonic overtones. This is an amp that LIKES high volume settings.

Comment

Working...
            X