banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does a variac affect the sound of an amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does a variac affect the sound of an amp?

I posted this in the wrong section yesterday but I know that a variac can increase or decrease the voltage going into the amp but what sound differences would there be for both increasing and decreasing the voltage? Also, I heard they were bad for the amp what would happen by running it at lower or higher voltage than normal?

Re: How does a variac affect the sound of an amp?

note: this ONLY applies to tube amps ... running a variac so that it supplies a lower voltage will result in the power tubes being overdriven at a lower volume ... it chews up power tubes, but can result in a desireable power tube distortion ... EVH is said to have done this extensively back in the early days

running a variac so that it supplies a higher voltage is a really stupid idea that has no tone benefits and will destroy the amp

running a variac on a ss amp will probably ruin it and it WILL destroy a modeler

good luck
    t4d
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Re: How does a variac affect the sound of an amp?

Well besides ruining a lot of power tubes, could anything else bad happen to your amp if you run it at lower than normal voltage? I heard a term used called cathode stripping or something but what is that?

Comment

Working...
      X