Low Wattage high gain amps...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Low Wattage high gain amps...

Deluxe Reverb with Matchless HotBox in front.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

I play my Engl Screamer at room level volume. It can still play like a cranked up 50W bit*h.
      °
      my stuff

Comment

Marin- I am quite a fan of yours, I enjoy all of your clips and that Engl sounds amazing. I have definitely considered the Screamer 50, but I can't find one to try out for myself. My definition of high gain is the Dual Recto/Soldano SLO100.
        Perhaps I should just stick with my PODxt and get the metal pack, but I really am dying to get real tube tone. I don't gig that often so I know all I would ever need at most is 50W.

Thanks for all the input guys1
        Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
        Ibanez RG1570 Custom
        PRS McCarty STD
        '71 Gibson SG Custom
        Bogner Alchemist 2x12
        Vox AD15VT

Comment

Try what Vinterland said. Use the Mesa 20:20 along with your POD.

I use a Mesa 50:50 along with my Boss GT8 into two 2x12 cabs and can get pretty much any tone under the sun.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by BluesGuyJ
            Marin- I am quite a fan of yours, I enjoy all of your clips and that Engl sounds amazing. I have definitely considered the Screamer 50, but I can't find one to try out for myself. My definition of high gain is the Dual Recto/Soldano SLO100.
            Perhaps I should just stick with my PODxt and get the metal pack, but I really am dying to get real tube tone. I don't gig that often so I know all I would ever need at most is 50W.

You can always take baby steps toward your ultimate tube amp. I've heard the PODs and although they offer tons of tones there is no replacing tubes. I'd personally start with the Crate V58, it's a 5 watt Class A tube amp w/ an 8" Celestion. Brand new these are under $300. The only knock I've heard was trying to get a crystal clean sound from them. But if high gain at low volume is what you want then this is the amp for you!

Then after about 6 months to a year you'll sell your POD and your Crate and buy the Soldano
            1978 Lefty Gibson Les Paul Custom (C5 bridge, Jazz neck) with Jimmy Page wiring
            1996 Lefty Fender Jazzmaster (w/ SD Antiquity IIs)
            2003 Lefty Taylor 414RCE (Rosewood Limited Edition with Expression System)
            Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier 3-channel through Marshall 1960A cabinet via THD HotPlate
            Effects: Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah, Fulltone DejaVibe, Maxon Rotary Phaser (PH-350), Boss DD6, Boss RC20 LoopStation, BBE Sonic Stomp

Comment

i tried a peters wolverine and the tone was amazing. i think its like 18w and has killer high gain tone!! no real clean tone but it does great high gain at reasonable volumes

Comment

You could always get a 10 watt Witchdoctor from Voodoo Amps. I am sure Trace could hook you up.

Egnater M4 (2) Recto, Blackface, Plexi
                VHT 2502
                (2) Randal XLT 4X12
                (2) Jackson SL2H USA Soloist (SH-1n, TB-6b)
                Jackson SL1 (Classic Stack, Classic Stack, TB-6b)
                Keeley TS-9 Mod Plus & TS-9 Baked Mod
                http://www.robertkeeley.com
                Line 6 Echo Pro and Mod Pro
                Chandler Digital Echo Delay

Comment

Originally posted by Marinblues
                  I play my Engl Screamer at room level volume. It can still play like a cranked up 50W bit*h.
                  I LOVE the Screamer 50 combo myself. Great amp. But, I can get great bedroom level tones from any number of 50 and 100 watt tube heads- Marshall DSL50 sounds fine at low levels IMO, my VHT 100CL can sound great at bedroom levels, etc... A lot of the modern 50 and 100 watt heads sound nice at low levels and you still get the option on bone shaking loud if you ever need it.

If I wanted a low wattage tube amp strickly for recording I'd grab a Cornford Harquin.. it is 6 watts and sounds great.
                  MY MUSIC

When the going get's tough I get a machinegun.

Comment

Originally posted by BluesGuyJ

Well, the POD does the high gain thing better than other things....

However, you can check out the Carr Hammerhead and the Fuchs Lucky 7 but they are more in the blues-rock department.

Marin
                    °
                    my stuff

Comment

I just picked up a used Peavey Classic 30 for $250 and it has a very nice crunch. Not metal gain but a great classic rock overdrive for Led Zep, ect... I like it better than the Fender Hot Rod series because you can get a great overdrive sound at lower volumes. The clean channel sounds sweet too. 30 watts, all tube, spring reverb.

Comment

Working...
                      X