No announcement yet.

Finally got my Fender Prosonic back...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got my Fender Prosonic back...

... from the tech and I'm blown away. God I love this amp. Took a while to get use to the two stage gain thing but is well worth it. This thing just has so much gain, I can't imagine ever going above 5 (out of 10) with the first gain. I haven't played it that loud yet (there's just so much volume in this amp) but it seems to me anything above 3 for gain 2 is like a rubbish knob, the more you turn it up the worse it sounds. Not even different, just worse. With both the gains, however, set at about 3-4 I can nail the lead sound I've had in my head for a while, just perfect. I always thought I'd get this sound from EL34's.

I actually bought the amp predominantly as a clean amp. But warmed to the lead sounds much quicker. It took much longer to figure out how to get the sweet clean sounds I wanted. I'm sure the more experienced guys here have lost count of how many times they're heard someone say this but, I finally figured out what the volume knob on my guitar is for!!! Wow, why didn't someone tell me about this before!?!

Thanks to all who've given me their advice in these difficult weeks of seemingly endless amp troubles, LOL. Only thing left now is to sell my Marshall JTM and finally pay my Dad back. Easier said than done.

Thanks again,
    -Benja
    Guitars:
    Epi LP (SH-11b + SH-55n)
    Danelectro U2 '56 Reissue
    Yamaha APX5LA
    Pedals:
    MXR Super Comp, HBE Power Screamer, Toadworks Death Rattle, Carl Martin Crunch Drive, Boss CE-2, Marshall Ed The Compressor, Marshall Drivemaster, Arion EQ, Bespeco Volume Pedal
    Amps:
    Fender Prosonic combo
    Marshall JTM60 combo

Re: Finally got my Fender Prosonic back...

I was just reading through a Bruce Zinky interview (He designed the Prosonic incase anybody didn't know) and he saifd the Prosonic sounds terrible with any other speaker.

Does anybody have any experience with this. They're Celestions (Fender Custom Shop whatever that means) and I was thinknig about replacing then with Eminence Red Fang's (? I think that's what they're called) or maybe some other Celestions. Would love to hear any thoughts on this.

Thanks,
    -Benja
    Guitars:
    Epi LP (SH-11b + SH-55n)
    Yamaha APX5LA
    Pedals:
    MXR Super Comp, HBE Power Screamer, Toadworks Death Rattle, Carl Martin Crunch Drive, Boss CE-2, Marshall Ed The Compressor, Marshall Drivemaster, Arion EQ, Bespeco Volume Pedal
    Amps:
    Fender Prosonic combo
    Marshall JTM60 combo

Comment

I've heard great things about the Prosonic, amazing gain for a Fender amp. I don't know anything about the speakers, but I generally find stock speakers on combo's to be somewhat lacking. Try a couple of different speakers out. The worst thing you'll have to do is sell them and put the original's back in. Just make sure to hang on to the originals.

Enjoy and have fun!
      My Sound Clips

Comment

Thanks Jeff, why is it important for me to hang onto the originals? I suppose if I ever sell it, but considering the stock speakers are cheap and not all that good does it still matter?

I just posted this to Celestion, thougt I'd paste it hear to see if anyone has any thoughts to share.

Thanks again.

Hello Celestion,
        I'm very fond of my Fender Prosonic open-back combo and am considering the possibility of up-grading the speakers. Currently the amp contains two Celestion Fender Custom Shop 10' speakers rated at 8ohms/60w. I can't find any more information on the speakers.

While there is nothing in particular I dislike about the speakers I thought my tone could only improve with an upgrade and so decided I would make a few inquiries.

My primary concern is that Bruce Zinky (designer the amp) describes the amp as being 'speaker dependant'. He goes on in the article to explain the problems during design in finding a suitable speaker for the amplifier and the horrible consequences of the tone when they tried the wrong ones. For this reason I will be very cautious in choosing the speaker model.

My main criteria for the speakers would be versitility, tight bass, warm mids and soft highs. I play a lot of clean guitar, often finger-picking on require a very 'sweet' sound.

I'd be very interested to hear any reccommendations you may offer for particualr models.

Thank you for your time,
        Ben Turner
        Guitars:
        Epi LP (SH-11b + SH-55n)
        Yamaha APX5LA
        Pedals:
        Amps:
        Fender Prosonic combo
        Marshall JTM60 combo

Comment

I just thought since the designer said he thinks it only sounds good with the stock speakers, you might end up trying a bunch of different speakers only to find out you really don't like any of them. If you've sold the originals, it might not be that easy to get annother set. Besides, if they're not "in demand" speakers like V30's, G12H's or something similar, you really won't get that much $$ for selling them.

Just a suggestion.
          My Sound Clips

Comment

I just thought since the designer said he thinks it only sounds good with the stock speakers, you might end up trying a bunch of different speakers only to find out you really don't like any of them. If you've sold the originals, it might not be that easy to get annother set. Besides, if they're not "in demand" speakers like V30's, G12H's or something similar, you really won't get that much $$ for selling them.

Just a suggestion.
            Yeah, this makes a lot of sense now. Thanks for the tip Jeff.
            Guitars:
            Epi LP (SH-11b + SH-55n)
            Yamaha APX5LA
            Pedals:
            Amps:
            Fender Prosonic combo
            Marshall JTM60 combo

Comment

Glad you like the amp. I have a feeling the guy who sold it to you was having problems with it, and passed it along to you. I'll never understand why Fender discontinued that amp, although the Pro Tube Series amps are the successor to the Prosonics. All those amps are the best gain circuits Fender ever had.

As far as speakers, I wouldn't worry about what Bruce Zinky said. He has his taste, you have yours.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

While on the topic of good gainy Fenders, has anyone here ever played an amp from the Performer range? They were available in the early 90's and have long gone been discontinued.

My mate has a Fender Performer 650. It's without a doubt the BEST hybrid amp I've ever heard. The distortion is full, lush, punchy, dynamnic, and can be tight & aggressive if you want it to be. The clean channel is entirely solid state yet still retains that classic Fender character. Also it's f**king loud! You can't turn the master past 2 without shaking the whole house. When I plugged my guitar into the amp the difference between the Performer and my Hughes & Kettner ATS Sixty (also hybrid) was night and day. For some reason also, almost of the tube amps I've played through my guitar hasn't agreed with them but after plugging into the 650 my guitar tone oozed personality and sustain. Kind of strange.

I thought it was a full tube amp for a long time and then I was shocked to find out it was hyrbid when I read reviews on HC. I would love do to be able to own one but they seem to be hard to find.
                Last edited by Animal; 10-11-2005, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X