hughes and kettner edition tube 20th anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hughes and kettner edition tube 20th anniversary

Hi, im new to the forum. i am seriously considering the hughes and kettner edition tube 20th... amp. i am wondering if this amp is good for metal such as slayer? thanks for responding.

p.s: im buying used, so i havent tried it yet.

Re: hughes and kettner edition tube 20th anniversary

Originally posted by alexi
    Hi, im new to the forum. i am seriously considering the hughes and kettner edition tube 20th... amp. i am wondering if this amp is good for metal such as slayer? thanks for responding.

p.s: im buying used, so i havent tried it yet.

Hey Alexi, i have the same amp and i love it. I play metal on mine but i don't use a typical 'metal' tone. The amp is really warm and has alot of mids (both of which i really like). It can probably get you into Slayer territiory if you get the right Overdrive to boost the front end. With mine i use a Boss Blues Driver and put the Level almost all the way up, Tone all the way down, and Gain all the way down. This helps tighten up the sound and gives me a little more crunch without getting too muddy or buzzy, it also helps my pick definition. Its definatly more of a rock amp, but with the right tools you can get some chuggy metal tones out of it. Out of all the amps i've played, the H&K helps me get the tone i hear in my head to come out of the speakers, but it might not suit your needs.
    Gibson Les Paul Studio [DD(b), PG(n)]

VHT Deliverance 60
    Splawn 4x12

Xssive built Monroe Drive
    Vox Time Machine Delay
    Boss Noise Supressor

Comment

Originally posted by Destroying Angel
      Hey Alexi, i have the same amp and i love it. I play metal on mine but i don't use a typical 'metal' tone. The amp is really warm and has alot of mids (both of which i really like). It can probably get you into Slayer territiory if you get the right Overdrive to boost the front end. With mine i use a Boss Blues Driver and put the Level almost all the way up, Tone all the way down, and Gain all the way down. This helps tighten up the sound and gives me a little more crunch without getting too muddy or buzzy, it also helps my pick definition. Its definatly more of a rock amp, but with the right tools you can get some chuggy metal tones out of it. Out of all the amps i've played, the H&K helps me get the tone i hear in my head to come out of the speakers, but it might not suit your needs.

Hey Brian! Glad to see your enjoying the amp. I've been jonesin since it left my house! Time to look for another one. Later! Mike
      !

Comment

I played one the other day at the shop - and that thing is sweet! The distortion is aggro with the best of them. searing? I have it's older cousin, (which i love, but am struggling a bit with as far as getting replacement tubes, but that's another story...)
        Go play and compare....
        Yeah!

Comment

I just bought one today after playing it a few times in the store, and it is so nice, the clean channel is really sweet very warm but is very clear and not to middy, great twang with single coils and very responsive. The overdrive channel is nice and crunchy all the way heavy rock, nice tight bottom end (quite alot of it) and smooth mids and clear treble, i will give it a whirl at practice tonite. Very happy with it so far.

Dills
          PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
          1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
          Blackstar HT-5
          2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
          Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

Originally posted by Dills
            I just bought one today after playing it a few times in the store, and it is so nice, the clean .

Dills
            How does it compare to your Peavey?
            Yeah!

Comment

Man i just got back from practice, with this new amp and it is way different to the peavey classic 50, alot tighter and bigger in the bass department and im finding it has no where near as much mids as the Peavey: which i found had to much specially on the clean channel (one reason why i couldnt get a nice jangle going) but the cleans on the the HK are so nice one of the nicest ive ever heard. What took me a bit of fiddling is the overdrive channel. It is quite aggressive at times i only have the gain on a 1/3 and its pretty intense, initially i set all the eq to 12 o clock but i found it was to grainy at first so i ended up with the mids on full and backed of the treble and bass a bit which helped the grainyness. I was trying to get a nice smooth creamy midrange out of it. I find the Peavey Classic 50 gets into that territory alot more. more mids thicker lead tone. One thing tho is the HK amp responds to your pickiing attack alot more and is very dynamic, it also is more sensitive which i like.

How do you guys set your eq on these amps? I need some help here

Dills
              PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)

Orange Dual Terror Head
              Blackstar HT-5
              Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

I have that amp as well - and as you say - amazing clean channel. I dont use it live so i cant really talk about eg settings.
                But I really think the lead channel is best as a lead channel as opposed to rhythm channel as there is too much gain and saturation. Using an overdive pedal in the clean channel to get a good rhythm sound is the way forward. I use a Hughes and Kettner tube factor at home and it works great.

I have also tried a peavey classic (30 not 50) and i definitely found that the tube 20 clean is nicer and has less mids, has a better lead sound, but that the peavey does lower gain/crunch sounds better.

Your other option of course is to turn the volume on the clean channel of the tube 20 all the way up. This gives a wonderful overdrive sound (vox like), but means you have to use you guitar volume pot to get a good clean sound.
                Ernie Ball Axis Sport (SD EVH 78/ Alnico 2 Pro)
                Ernie Ball Silhouette Special
                Gordon Smith Graduate Slimline (Dimarzio Air Zone/ SD 59)
                Gordon Smith Graduate Slimline (Bare Knuckles Stormy Monday neck and bridge)
                Fender American Series Telecaster
                Marshall Jubilee 2554 combo
                Marshall JMP Master Volume Combo
                Hughes and Kettner Edition Tube 20

Comment

Originally posted by Dills

How do you guys set your eq on these amps? I need some help here

Dills

This amp does have an amazing clean channel, but i rarely use it live. Im on the lead channel at all times and just roll the volume back on my guitar to clean it up.

My settings are usually:
                  Reverb: Usually only up around 8 o'clock
                  Treble: around 2 o'clock
                  Mids: around 10:30 - 11 o'clock
                  Bass: around 1:30 o'clock
                  Master: usualy up around halfway
                  Gain: always under 3 o'clock, usually a bit lower(i run and OD in front of it)
                  Gibson Les Paul Studio [DD(b), PG(n)]

VHT Deliverance 60
                  Splawn 4x12

Xssive built Monroe Drive
                  Vox Time Machine Delay
                  Boss Noise Supressor

Comment

Im finding it is a very loud amp i barely have to turn the volume up 1/3 of the way before it gets pretty loud, the tubes definetly feel like they are working more and the note seperation is excelent.
                    PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)

Orange Dual Terror Head
                    Blackstar HT-5
                    Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

Yip, this clean on H&K all tube is really nice. It's why i got one. But the drawback has always been, for me, the aggro dirty channel. I use the clean, with an SD1 to get creamy-brown. Little drive, mainly a level boost. (wish i had one of those SD boosters) As you probably know, the EQ is one of those "add mid, you auto remove high...add high you auto-remove mid. Bass as per normal. Tweakage helps.

Also try this... very very little pre-amp gain, lots & lots of output stage volume. That gets them EL84 working harder, than say the same amount of sound, from higher pre-gain, lower power. Anyway. I found the amp fairly bright when sitting in front of. Then step away. 5+ meters, off axis, YUMMY!

Chicken picking snaps are just a joy. Try that with a moddler. There's no thwack. Here it's, "howdy!"
                      Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                      X