Reactor....mehhhh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reactor....mehhhh

sorry for the meaningless post...just aggravated and need to vent...

I tried it every way possible last night using the Reactor/Line 6 POD XTL Combo/Stack EQs..and tweaking the crap out of all my pre-sets.

Still never could dial out the buzziness without cutting the highs to the point of mud. It def feels like a tube amp, but there's this huge lower midrange spike that makes it sound "congested." Like tunnelvision, only with sound. The "directional" comment people make I guess, but it's obnoxiously so. I used the Focus EQ on the XTL to try and pull out the over projection and no go. Went back into studio direct (with mic sims), and tweaked and tweaked....meh...

I was a/b' ing last night with my Rivera to try and dial/in mimic it....no comparison really. Night and Day. I don't mean the tube vs. digital issue..I mean just the "real amp" sound. Then I plugged the XTL back into the Rivera and much better...def not as warm as in the Reactor, but at least it doesn't have that "congestion" issue...there it sounds like "real" SS amp.

Funny thing is, when I turn off the amp sim and play basically directly through the Reactor clean, it has a nice warm jazzy EL-84 clean sound

Back to the drawing board...
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Re: Reactor....mehhhh

Did you try putting it in the stack poweramp mode without cab simulation?

Ninja Edit: Or combo poweramp mode.
    I get to go to a lot of overseas places, like Canada.
    -Britney Spears

Comment

Originally posted by ankalar
      Did you try putting it in the stack poweramp mode without cab simulation?

Ninja Edit: Or combo poweramp mode.
      Yup...I tried everything..without cabs in every EQ mode, trying cabs I'd normally never use (4x10 Bassman cab actually sounded decent)....it sounded best through the front of the Rivera (like I had it before) or in the Riveras loop (its actually TOO clean run this way...it sounds VERY digital, but still better than the HONK of the Reactor)

I think it's the amp itself...just the way the cab is designed and "voiced"

I guess I could see where someone who bought this for their modeler who had been running it previously into a lower cost SS amp like a Crate or Marshall MG, or Peavey TT may see it as a huge improvement...or if you wanted that "recorded" tone to play with all the time (i.e. using the mic sims), but it just sounds MORE fake to me w/ the Atomic.

I used to a/b my VOX ADT30 to the Rivera and although the actual tone wasn't nearly as good, at least the ADT sounded like a real amp.

Grrr..I was really hoping this thing would work out. I'll play with it a bit more, but I think I'm gonna return it...I don't think I can dial out that friggin honk regardless of modeler...and the buzz/fizz is quite apparent. Like a SS preamp run through some 10" speakers...icepick.
      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

That sucks. I had high expectations for the Reactor. I'll bet with the right speaker, it would be useful, but you're probably going to be stuck with the sound of a combo however you slice it.
        http://www.myspace.com/cranusband
        http://www.myspace.com/cranusmetal
        http://netmusicians.org/?section=user&value=drucifer

Comment

Well I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. You know, I've really liked the sound of my PODxt through my Carvin T100. If you're looking for another solution, I am actualy looking to sell the power amp (looking to buy a real head instead). It's stereo 50/50 or mono 100 watts powered by 4 5881s (can be biased for EL34s as well) with 2 12AX7s (one for each channel's pre-driver). PM me if you're interested, bro!
          I get to go to a lot of overseas places, like Canada.
          -Britney Spears

Comment

So are you still interested in my offer to purchase it ... I have a shiny quarter waiting for you?

Seriously, it's not for everybody, but then again the same could be said for any amp. I tried my PodXT through all sorts of amps: tube and solid state, expensive and cheap, and to my ear the Reactor gives the best results. It really makes my PodXT "come alive" like nothing else I tried, and I LOVE the low-end response (I'm a "big bottom" kind of guy I guess )

I also like the way it nicely houses and powers the XT bean, but I guess you never really got that benefit with the XTL.

Good luck with your continuing tone quest!
            Band: www.colouredanimal.com
            Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
            Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

TECH-21 POWER ENGINE 60

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
              Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
              FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
              http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Thanx folks for the advice/comments, and listening to me vent

I gave up...it's goin back..and I'm goin back..to (all) tubes...the XTL will stay for recording, but I'm gonna grab a new attentuator for the Rivera. Maybe even get my 1987X back working too and send it off to David Bray or Trace or Splawn

Comment

I have it for the sheer versatility of the pod xt live. It's obviously not as good as the real amps, but I have basically every amp out there. Plus the fact that it sounds really good to me at lower volumes. The atomic has no opinion, so you have to be somewhat satisfied with your modeler to begin with. I think the atomic just makes certain modelers that much better.

Comment

Jeff ... sweetheart ... darling

B U Y
                    A
                    H O T P L A T E
                    !!!!!!!

This public service announcement is brought to you by the Associtation for Better Metal Music.
                    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
                      Jeff ... sweetheart ... darling

B U Y
                      A
                      H O T P L A T E
                      !!!!!!!

This public service announcement is brought to you by the Associtation for Better Metal Music.
                      Awww...stop using our pet-names here in public shmoopiewoopie

I thot I had mentioned this to you Ben, but I tried a Hotplate on a Chubster 40 at a shop and didn't care for the tone coloring when attentuated to pretty low volumes..it was still much better than my PowerSuck..errr Powerbrake....so as soon as I get the Atomic back, and a refund, I'm gonna try the Dr.Z Airbrake.

And yes..you KNOW it's metal when they can't spell "Association"

Comment

Here's a perfect reason why I'm not a huge fan of many modelers. Too many dang knobs and settings to go through just to get a decent sound going. This is why I like the Roland Cube 30. It may be a modeler, but I just twist the knobs to where I like 'em and play. More time playing and less time fiddling around, that's how I like it. If I got a PODxt as a gift, I'd keep it but it's not something I'd run out and buy.

Comment

Working...
                        X